• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halloween costume help!

AuroraGyps

First Post
Rl'Halsinor said:
Anyway, Halloween make-up is cheap and with a few clothes items from your closet, etc. you can do really well. For example, I took an old pull-over, ragged pants, some old boots, got a walking stick which was a branch from the woods, and applied white make-up to my face, took green make-up and applied it around my eyes, put a towel to look like a hunch back and -- I was a hunchback. The only thing I spent money on was two tubes of make-up.

I actually have directions on how to make a hunch that I posted on another site.

"You need 2 white, v neck men's undershirts with one being a bit tight on the person (cheap & easy to find/borrow), a glue gun, white plastic bags (we used grocery store ones), and scissors for the hunch, plus a shirt big enough to wear over the thing when you're wearing it.
Take the bigger of the tees and cut it up both side seams. Whichever side you want the hunch to be on, cut the tee with a bit more fabric on that side... you're basically cutting the front fromthe back, but leaving a few more inches on one side.
Lay the tight tee down flat with the back side up. Starting at the non-hunch side, start gluing the back from the other tee, lining up the seams on that side. You're kind of making a pillow, but it's going to be on the back of a tee. Leave the bottom edges open so you can stuff it with the plastic bags and adjust them the way you like (not hard as a rock, but not pillowy soft either... you want it to stand up & be noticable when you put a bigger shirt on top). After you've stuffed it, glue the open edges closed.
I'll be honest and blunt... my mom has a hunch from severe scoliosis, so I basically copied her back, but made the one shoulder a bit higher. So it started at the bottom of the ribs, and up the one side including the shoulder. Stuff the bags in so they slope down to the person's real back and don't just look like a bump growing straight out of the back.
You can use it year after year, as long as it doesn't get too dirty (I'm not sure about washing, but I guess you could cut the pocket a bit, take out the bags, wash the tee, and restuff)."

If you have a limp because of your knee Seonaid, it'll work well with this... AND you can wear baggy pants.

Another idea is to ask around and see if any friends have old prom dresses or the like. I bet a long & poufy one would cover the brace... as long as it wasn't too long and you weren't tripping in it. With the right dress, you could be a bunch of different stuff. If you carried a sword with a girly one, you'd be a princess that's not a damsel in distress. If it would be ok for you to tear up the dress and put fake blood and make yourself up to look dead, you be a princess that was not rescued by Prince Charming.:) One year I wore a long dress of my mother's, that was tight & black, and went as a sorceress.

Last edited:

WmRAllen67

First Post
Love this holiday...

For the inexpensive alternatives:

Dress in grey, put a stuffed gorilla on your shoulder, and go as the Empire State Building...

Make some black paper crows, pin them to yourself, and go as Tippi Hedren...

If you feel you want to play to your ethnicity, wear a white nighty, white makeup with heavy black eyeshadow, and go as the ghost girl from "The Grudge"...

There's a kid in the neighborhood that's going out as "Pirated Music"-- he's dressing as a pirate with old CD's pinned to him...

You could easily do Chun Li-- Go for the "Street Fighter Alpha" version, with a unitard, athletic shoes and an embroideed vest-- but add some "black eye" makeup, a sling for your arm or a bandage or two, wear your brace and go as "after I lost the fight" Chun Li... :lol:

You could go as an Egyptian pharaoh-ess, with a head-dress and eyeliner, and the rest of your body made up like a mummy.

And Liz, the Chun-Li outfit is for next year. As part of your rehabilitation for the knee, you need to practice the lightning kick and spinning bird kick. ;)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Buy a white shirt and white pants from a thrift store. Roll your car through some mud and over the back of the clothes, laying the clothes down on clean paper to keep the front from getting dirty. When people ask what you are, tell them you were too tired to come up with a costume idea, and then walk away from them.

Seonaid

Explorer
Thanks for all your ideas! I really like the Four Horsemen one (very Highlander, too ;)) and the "after I lost" Chun-Li. Unfortunately, I came up with nothing good in time and ended up borrowing cat ears and tail from someone actually at the party. It turned out very cute and I'm wearing a gaming shirt, so if I get the pictures from my friend, I'll post one.

At the suggestion (and request?) of my boyfriend, I was going to go as a one-night stand (scroll down until you get to the side column at the bottom, called "The Sports Gal Speaks"), but I couldn't get the stuff together.

All these good ideas. Ah well. Next year I'll start much, much earlier. :) Thanks! Happy Halloween!

Aurora

First Post
Sweet! Sports guy rules man- he is so funny. The one-night stand costume sounds pretty funny. I would totally go to a party as that :D Glad you had fun! Happy Halloween!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads