• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hammer or Moradin PrC questions

Longbow

First Post
One of my players will play a Hammer of Moradin, Prc from Player's Guide to Faerûn. He will take the Two Weapon Fighting and Oversized Two Weapon Fighting feats. I can´t find anything in the rules that disallows this. Am I missing something? Because of the Powerful Grip ability fighting with two warhammers is a good deal. Maybe too good?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Longbow said:
He will take the Two Weapon Fighting and Oversized Two Weapon Fighting feats. I can´t find anything in the rules that disallows this. Am I missing something?

Well, given that the Two Weapon Fighting feat is a prerequisite for the Oversized Two Weapon Fighting feat, it would seem odd to have a rule that disallowed the combination!

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Longbow said:
Oops, I meant if the Prc allows fighting with two warhammers.

It looks fine, although certain abilities - Goblinkiller etc - allow him to imbue a warhammer once per day, so he won't be able to use those abilities with both.

-Hyp.

Longbow

First Post
OK, so he doesn´t get every ability of the PrC with both warhammers, good to know. My "problem" is Powerful Grip. The character gets the benefit similar to wielding a Greatsword with one weapon and he doesn´t suffer from half damage with the offhand weapon. So he gets "the best of both worlds".

The disadvantage is no Power Attack x 2 damage (but still can PA with both weapons) and -2 on both attacks. And of course if he moves he gets no offhand attacks and a smaller damage die.

Wish

First Post
Not a big problem. Oversized two-weapon fighting is OK, but it's not a huge damage option. It's also expensive to enchant two weapons. With the way the game is currently constructed, off-hand weapons just don't add enough damage to be worthwhile without some sort of boost. That boost can come from a lot of places: extra dice like flaming/shocking/holy weapons, or sneak attack; special bonuses like the dervish gets or greater weapon specialization/weapon mastery; or power attack with oversized two weapon fighting or unarmed strikes. If you don't have one of those, you're giving up a shield bonus to AC or two-handed power attack bonus, at least 2 points of attack bonus, several feats, and lots of cash (for the off-hand weapon) to get something in the range of an extra 1d8+3 per round. That's just really not very effective. I think the designers realized after a time that it wasn't effective for anybody but rogues (who can boost two weapon damage with sneak dice and who can't use a shield anyway), and so you started to see a bunch of options to improve the efficiency of two weapon fighting. It is stylish and cinematic, after all.

Longbow

First Post
Tonight is the first game so I will see it firsthand how it plays out. It´s true that two-wapon-fighting needs a boost. I´ll see if I consider it too much of a boost.

pawsplay

Hero
If you disallow this, just think of what he could do with those feats instead. A few points of damage, my friend, is nothing. Be grateful it's thematic.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wish said:
Not a big problem. Oversized two-weapon fighting is OK, but it's not a huge damage option. It's also expensive to enchant two weapons. With the way the game is currently constructed, off-hand weapons just don't add enough damage to be worthwhile without some sort of boost. That boost can come from a lot of places: extra dice like flaming/shocking/holy weapons, or sneak attack; special bonuses like the dervish gets or greater weapon specialization/weapon mastery; or power attack with oversized two weapon fighting or unarmed strikes. If you don't have one of those, you're giving up a shield bonus to AC or two-handed power attack bonus, at least 2 points of attack bonus, several feats, and lots of cash (for the off-hand weapon) to get something in the range of an extra 1d8+3 per round. That's just really not very effective. I think the designers realized after a time that it wasn't effective for anybody but rogues (who can boost two weapon damage with sneak dice and who can't use a shield anyway), and so you started to see a bunch of options to improve the efficiency of two weapon fighting. It is stylish and cinematic, after all.
You are correct. However, if I recall correctly, Hammer of Moradin has a ridiculous (and imo badly-designed because it penalises a character for having a high AC) ability that adds the much of the enemy's armour bonus (the armour and natural armour part) to damage with each attack. This would qualify as a 'boost'

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads