• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hamunaptra: Egyptian Adventures

Glaurung

First Post
I haven't heard much buzz about this product on this forum yet. I picked it up the yesterday, and I have to say, the feel of the setting, the artwork, and the changes to the base rules are amazing and truly reflect what I'm looking for in a d20 pseudo-historic fantasy campaign. It also helps that I've always been obessed with Egypt and have felt the need for this product for a while. What does everyone else think?

ayrwind

First Post
there was already much buzz about this product, and many others have stepped up to say that they eagerly anticipating its release. In fact, I already placed an order with my FLGS to bring the box set in. Also, the author is some fricking cool dude who frequents this forums... A matter of time before he pops in to comment on this thread... :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Right now I'm in the middle of writing reviews for the following:

Modern Magic: Eh... it's okay.

Thieves Quarters: Fantastic

A Matter of Family: Good adventure. Review way overdue.

Complete Vampire: Good book on vampires but too much material on them already.

Hamunaptra: Egyptian Adventures is a book I've been looking through. It's like the Relics & Rituals Olympus and Excaliber books but with good layout and solid art all the way through. Very impressed with it so far.

Banshee16

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Right now I'm in the middle of writing reviews for the following:

Modern Magic: Eh... it's okay.

Thieves Quarters: Fantastic

A Matter of Family: Good adventure. Review way overdue.

Complete Vampire: Good book on vampires but too much material on them already.

Hamunaptra: Egyptian Adventures is a book I've been looking through. It's like the Relics & Rituals Olympus and Excaliber books but with good layout and solid art all the way through. Very impressed with it so far.

Is it like those books in that it tries to shoehorn standard classes etc. into the game with a minimum of modifications? Or it is more like Trojan War or Skull & Bones, where they actually do a good adaptation......

Do they have warriors serving the pharoahs, and running around in full plate armor with longswords? Or is the equipment more in line with what was there in ancient Egypt?

Banshee

JoeGKushner

First Post
More of the latter part but with modifications enough so that without having read though it all the way, I feel pretty comfortable with it as opposed to say... GR's Medeival Book which kept talking about one thing and kept providing game mechanics for another.

ghettognome

First Post
I guess this goes to show how oblivious I am to the gaming world on product releases. This is something I have to get, if for any reason than my obsession of ancient Egypt. I can't wait to see this book now. :D

Pramas

Explorer
ghettognome said:
I guess this goes to show how oblivious I am to the gaming world on product releases. This is something I have to get, if for any reason than my obsession of ancient Egypt. I can't wait to see this book now. :D

You can read more about it here:

http://www.greenronin.com/catalog/grr1407

If you scroll down, there are links to two PDF previews so you can get a taste of the setting.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Since it's set in FANTASY-pseudo-egypt, it offers a lot more than the typical other stuff. The author said he was aiming for something like Nyambe. Not africa, but fantasy-african. I've heard nothing but that it's a 'must-have' product because it will help complete your world in interesting new ways and give you a foreign setting of depth.

Methinkies jinkies that it's going to fit in nicely into my CONAN or GREYHAWK: ERYPT campaigns. Buhahahah!

I already picked up Mesopotamia and have gotten some use out of that one too simply for the 'ancient' feel of what it brings to my campaign.

jh

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
I got it today and just skimmed it so far, but I have to say it is so much better than Necropolis for an Egyptian campaign. It is going next to my GURPS history books and National Geographics that I use as cultural research. I will have to give it a more indepth read to rate it, but it looks like a 4 or 5 from what I have read so far.

Remove ads