• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hancock - has anyone seen it?

frankthedm

First Post
I liked it.

I think the reactions to the film boil down to the "twist" mid-way through. You either like the twist, and like what the movie becomes; or you dislike the twist, and are disappointed in the movie.
Yeah, I've heared the movie is "bait and switch". For me that is OK IF the movie moves into territory I like {See Unbreakable, really, go watch it!]. Otherwise I tend to get angred at wasting my money on a movie I would not have gone to see in the first place had i been better informed.

At best, I'd theater hop into Hancock's first half, then leave when the twist occurs.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
What is the difference between a good plot twist and a bait-and-switch?

I'd say it's a matter of intent. If you're doing a deliberate mislead to the audience (ie, marketing a drama as a comedy), then it's a bait-and-switch. If it evolves organically from the story, then it's a plot twist.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Some degree of foreshadowing is necessary as well. A "plot twist" that comes out of nowhere and completely changes the story is just shoddy writing, IMO.
In this particularly case, there was some foreshadowing that "something" was up (or at least I picked up on it). What that "something" was, however, was the twist.

On the other hand, I did not see the foreshadowing of the Sixth Sense *or* Unbreakable, and I was warned about both, so take it for what its worth (not much :))

Vocenoctum

First Post
I saw it, and liked it. It was a fun movie that wasn't totally predictable and was worth the price of admission. (I also got a hot dog, nachos and a soda though, I'm not sure if it was worth the total price.. but that's more about the price than the movie.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads