• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Handling Modifier

BlackJaw

First Post
In older versions of the concept... the handling modifier for a vehilce include it's size modifier, or at least the size modifier applied to most skill checks made in a vehicle.

Under this concept, a vehicle (creatures have no handling modifiers, and are generaly use to their sizes) is harder to control the bigger it is. the truely massive vehilces (vessel Colossal) have such a hefty turn modifer that you would need hefty numbers of special control systems and co-pilots to counter the -128 penalty.

I am only brining this up now because I suddenly realized that right now, its damn easy to do any stunt in any vehicle.

If the size modifier as it sits now is to large, we could make antoher size realted modifer for handling (keep it in the vehicle section) but make it less drastic (bonus for things bellow Medium vehicles, penalty above that?)

or we could drop the whole concept. (kinda like how we were treating it) and I can just take extra care not to provide to many bonuses to handling in the components section.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Explorer
I don't recall ever suggesting that size modifiers should apply to Pilot checks. Moreover, I think it's a really bad idea because, as you observed, it results in obscenely high penalties to larger ships. As a general rule, larger ships will have lower maneuverability, thus the turn modifiers will make many stunts harder for them to pull off.

Wyvern

P.S. I just noticed something about your size/maneuverability point chart - it's not clear whether the number listed is an upper or lower limit. When you think about it, it's easy to see that it must be an upper limit (since there's no maneuverability class lower than Clumsy), but it's not immediately obvious when you're just glancing at the chart whether a Tiny vessel with 11 MP's has Average or Good maneuverability.

Last edited:

Remove ads