• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Handling specific moves in combat (disarm, attacking weapons)

Theovis

Explorer
Our monk wanted to trip someone a few sessions ago using a monk-ish-punch/kick. I said, "roll your attack, and that becomes the DC for the Dex save the guy gets." I guess my point is, being a little creative and open ended with the rules allows for customization of just about anything you can think of.

Nice ad-lib, that's very close to the official rule ("Shove" is Athletics vs Athletics/Acrobatics to knock the target prone or push them 5').

Rune

Once A Fool
My players favor combat-as-war, so that's not a problem with us. If they can find a way to end the fight before it even begins, so much the better.

Of course, some enemies, like the hated Wraith King, will only laugh at them if they try to disarm his ghostly sword. And then he'll kill one of them, if tradition holds.

Scorpio616

First Post
I'd remind the player knocking a foe to 0 HP normally gives the attacker the choice of Kill or Knock Out.

Also worth noting DMG disarm is an option, not an assumed part of the ruleset. It sounds well and good to let folks knock weapons out of foes hands when they are a charmed guard. But it means any fighter in an airborne battle will swiftly be deprived of their weapons.

Tormyr

Hero
I'd remind the player knocking a foe to 0 HP normally gives the attacker the choice of Kill or Knock Out.

Technically that is for melee attacks only. I have told my players that they can have death saving throws apply for anyone they fight if they want the opportunity to save them. So they can fireball someone and follow it up with a Medicine check to stabilize them.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that with the combat maneuvers we are pretty much already talking about melee attacks anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads