• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hands of the Bright One (Guild of Assassins)

I didn't put him up yet, though I do have him statted. I'll try and post with all the formatting tomorrow, but he's a combat monster. A Vampire Fighter/Swashbuckler/Invisible Blade with a defending dagger and two extra daggers of dancing (he can feint as a free action, letting loose a dancing dagger to sneak attack while gaining his defending dagger's bonus for crazy AC).

Yeah, I think you're right. I wanted to make the guild cost-prohibitive enough that PCs wouldn't be able to hire them themselves, unless they really needed something done-and realistically, if they charged that much then the leaders should have better equipment. I'd add an extra +1-2 CR onto him for the extra equipment (he does have a very nifty minor artifact), but probably not more than that (at higher levels, being undead can be more of a crutch with spells like Sunburst and cleric's turning checks). What would you estimate?

Thanks for the feedback, btw. I'm thinking about using paizo's type of statblocks. I'm used to reading my own but they look very cluttered/less accessible on a messageboard.

EvilMountainDew

First Post
I'm not particularly skilled at pegging CRs, but I'd guess somewhere between 16 and 18.

If he's somehow sitting on a chair and a group of 15th level PCs get the drop on him, he'd probably go down pretty quick.

However, that isn't exactly how I imagine it'd go down. With his rather intense AC and DR, he could probably hold is own against a party at 16-17, especially since he'd get to act first and get all his daggers up and running...

I ended up taking his two warrior levels, downgrading his equipment slightly and leaving him at CR 15 (CR 14 by the rules, +1 for more treasure). I really didn't want to make him too much higher CR (theoretically, a Father is supposed to be able to kill him, though probably with help or a "lucky" circumstance). He lost 22 hp, 2 AC, -3 to Fort saves, -2 to attacks, -4 to SR (from lost levels and loss of Boost Spell Resistance feat), 1 DC from Dominate and -2 to all skills. He should be significantly more at risk from casters (and especially from turning). Check again if you can but I think that will do for now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads