• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Diwali!

talinthas

First Post
To all the hindus on the boards, and to all the spiritually minded folks, i wish a happy Diwali! May the mother of prosperity bless us all in the coming year and keep us well.

Remember to leave a lamp out tonight!

for a little more info, http://members.tripod.com/~jennifer_polan/diwali.html
has a decent enough background of the holiday. It was taken from a form letter, but it's still pretty informative.

(you know, i was always miffed that waukeen was such a sucky goddess. she's got nothing on Laxmi =)

/edit- holy crap, wrong forum. please move to off topic. my apologies.

Last edited:

ayrwind

First Post
Aye, except that it's known as Deepavali here in Singapore.

Good thing is, it is a public holiday here.

Bad thing is, the term holidays are here, and hence being a teacher, I had no added benefit from the holiday as I *am* already on holidays...

But i shouldnt complain though!

Happy Deepavali cool hindu dudes and dudettes!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I was pretty surprised today, as it is Rememberance Day here in Canada (a pretty somber occasion for acknowledging the sacrifice made by the War Dead). I work in little India, and when I leave the shop at lunch there are all manner of booths and suchlike giving away food and blasting Bhangra :)

I asked my boss if it was Vaisakhi again already. He laughed.

Eremite

Explorer
ayrwind said:
Aye, except that it's known as Deepavali here in Singapore. (snip)

It's also known as Deepavali in certain parts of India. The regional dialects tend to produce regional variations in spelling and pronunciation (just as Singlish and English often have huge differences particularly in pronunciation[eg: Meh Donner's vs Mcdonald's]).

talinthas

First Post
deepavali is the original sanskrit name. deepa = lamp. in the later languages, deepa became diva, and the holiday name changed too =)

talinthas

First Post
heh. thanks.
if i had known how damned hard it is to find a job (stupid english degree, what was i thinking?? of course, i really wanted to do linguistics, which would have been equally dumb), i'd have stayed in Davis and kept my old job at the campus library. As it is, i can't find work anywhere, and i despair of getting into grad school. So instead, i'm gonna apply to teach english in japan with the jet program.

but i'm sure you didnt want to hear my gripes =)

And for all the Muslims out there, Eid Mubarak!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads