Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I personally wish that the time it takes for a movie to go to DVD or be rentable wasn't so random and inconsistent. I recently watched God Bless America... which was basically straight to dvd even though it was shown in a few art house theaters in the area.

Right now I'm waiting for John Carter's dvd release (I might have to get a blue ray player since my laptop now is picky about which dvd's it wants to play) and apparently since the Avengers is still going strong, it seems they are waiting for late September to release that. Seriously.. why the wait? The movie is already made up for all the money Disney spent on Marvel what else do they have to worry about?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The movie industry- at least in America- is a funny thing.

The way the contracts are written, the studios get something like 90% of the box office income for the first month a movie is in theaters. That's why 1) your snacks cost more than their weight in gold, and 2) why they try to get expected blockbusters into multiple screens in any given locale.*

As time passes, the studios take home a smaller and smaller share of the box office while the theaters' hares increase. Only after about 2 months does a theater start to do more than break-even on a big budget movie.

* and 3) why they will sometimes pull a movie from theaters, only to re-release it later in the year...because their take home is similar to having another initial release period.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I'm sad. I participated in the OotS Kickstarter thing and got my package... but it got dropped off tossed onto my back porch and it got rained on. Entire thing is soaked. It's all sitting and drying out right now. Dunno how well everything is going to turn out when it dries. :(

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Marvel just in-explicitly spoiled the Avengers vs X-Men issue 5 twist on who the Phoenix Chose. Problem is.. if you look at the artwork for several covers you sort of were able to guess who the new Phoenix is (hint it's not hope or the Scarlet Witch... at least yet.).

Remove ads