Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
I always thought it was 25mm = five foot thus for an adventurer whom is nearly six foot tall would be about 28 mm tall.

Going even farther back than the very start of the fantasy miniatures industry, there has never been a standardized agreement on whether "25mm" miniatures (or, hell, any common miniature size) were measured A) to the eyes or B) to the top of the head... With historical wargaming miniatures, the individual lines from a particular manufacturer tended to be standardized (and often tied to a specific set of rules), but once the fantasy side of the industry took off as a separate entity, the measurement issue even sometimes varied not just between different product lines from the same company but within a single line as well.
Because the 25mm minis existed as wargaming pieces before the RPGs were created and were conscripted into service, most 25mm minis were essentially "25mm = 6 ft" and became the "standard" size because RPG maps were most commonly gridded in 1-inch squares, and the scale of the maps used with figures was usually 1 inch (or 25mm) = 5 ft... It was never an exact match, but happened to be the closest thing available.
As collecting and painting miniatures became a hobby unto itself, scale creep started to appear since sculptors were now trying to create figures with really nice details that were art in and of themselves rather than just something to take up space on a map.
This is what eventually led to the emergence of the boutique miniature market (entire brands that were never meant for anything other than painting and don't care about fitting on a map) and the pre-painted plastic miniatures genre, which was aimed specifically at the gaming market rather than painters, as well as the later emergence of the unpainted plastics meant as a cheap middle ground.
(Essentially, if a "25mm" mini can be 25mm to the top of the head, or 25mm to the eyes and 28mm overall, then you could call the taller ones "28mm" and then say that "28mm" is either to the eyes or the top of the head, and if it's to the eyes, then your minis could be 30mm tall overall. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum. Which is why many current board and miniature games have ended up using 30-32mm figures and 30mm bases instead of 25mm/1in. bases.)

Basically, there never really was a formal "true 25mm" scale to deviate from.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
Feh. Reaper Forums going through an "upgrade". Not nearly as traumatic as the last WotC debacle or the ENWorld oops-we-lost-six-months, but still mildly irritating. Not all features and not all forums have finished the changeover (in fact, the greater majority isn't entirely finished), so it's still up in the air just what we've lost and gained in the final analysis. Currently, there's far too much empty space - huge borders on the sides, and the "today's birthdays" and most "recent posts" sections on the right side are too big, so only about half the page is the actual thread area at the mo. Not liking that. But at least I turned off the damn "bloop" sound signaling every time I got a notification - and the set-up originally had me getting notified of everything (getting liked, getting quoted, new messages in threads I'd recently been too, etc.) :-S
Should have the new approximation of normal in place in a day or two.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I haven't seen the show yet, and don't remember Legion from the comics. Remind me?

David Haller is the mentally ill son of Professor Charles Xavier of the X-Men - he's an alpha-level mutant with a huge number of powers: telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, etc...

However, each of his powers is controlled by a different one of his multiple personalities... :-S
(And some of those personalities are not very nice.)
On a good day, he's a tragic figure. On a bad day, he's a menace to humanity.

On a good day, he's a tragic figure. On a bad day, he's a menace to humanity.
That describes a number of characters in the Marvel Universe. Including, of course, "a guy with truly incredible anger management issues", and the one whose name rhymes, more or less, with magnetism. Also Loki in at least the cinematic universe.

Also a pair of college roommates turned rivals and mad scientists, at times.

Remove ads