• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hardcore Basic D&D - Input Needed

DaedalusX51

Explorer
So after hearing some common complaints about things in 5E (Fighters are a bit boring, Blade Pact Warlock armor issues, takes to long to feel like your character concept is complete, endgame is super easy and the CRs are out of whack, you don't have much game left to play when you get to 20, etc..), I came to the conclusion that I would try out a new idea.

In response to this I thought, "Hey self, what can we do to try to change these things, while leaving the rest of the system intact (Monsters, Treasure, Adventures, etc.)?"

This is what I've come up with so far.

Characters level from 1-10 at the current rate.
  • The majority of class features that gave you interesting abilities, not necessarily just vertical power, were compressed into that 10 level span.
  • Level scaling stops at 10. So no more increases to HD, Spells, or Proficiency Bonuses.
  • For character power increases beyond level 10, magic items will fill in.

What does this accomplish?
  • Gives players an "endgame" where they can use all of their abilities in search for better gear to fight continually escalating challenges.
  • Increases the difficulty of later game challenges by limiting full casters to 5th level spells unless they find magical items that grant them higher level spells.

Controversial issues?
  • As part of this change, I decided to add a Basic D&D flair to it. Each class, besides the core four human classes, are now an example of a type of race. (Sorry Monk! I currently have no idea how to fit you in.)
  • I've changed a number of classes and features based on my own personal opinions.
  • By default Feats and Multi-Classing are not part of this system.

I would love any and all comments and criticisms.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyHKd2fk-

Update #3
(5/9/2017)

Eldritch Knight

• Reworked and renamed 1st level feature, Arcane Initiate, to Eldritch Initiate.
  • Added Arcane Sense at 1st level.
  • Reworked Knight of the Ward 3rd level feature, Arcane Ward.
  • Added Signature Spell at 7th level.
Wizard

• Reworked 5th level feature, Signature Spell, and moved to 7th level.
  • Added Arcane Recall at 5th level.
Ranger

• Removed Proficiency Bonus to Damage from Beast Conclave 3rd level feature, Companion's Bond.
  • Removed Beast Conclave 5th level feature, Coordinated Attack.
  • Added Extra Attack at 5th level.
Sorcerer

• Increased initial damage of Draconic Bloodline 1st level feature, Breath Weapon.
  • Reworked 10th level feature, Sorcerous Restoration.
Monk

• Increased number of ki points gained to 5 for 10th level feature, Perfect Soul.
Fighter

• Increased number of superiority dice gained to 3 for Battle Master 9th level feature, Relentless Superiority.

Update #2

Added the Githzerai "The Monk"
Update #1

Fighter
class has been updated to match the combat effectiveness of the Paladin.

• Reworked Combat Reflexes.
    • Changed to Proficiency Bonus per round instead of 2.
  • Replaced Improved Combat Reflexes with Improved Extra Attack.
    • Added an additional attack to match the Paladin's 10th level feature.

The Battle Master archetype damage curve was reworked.
  • Reworked Relentless Superiority.
    • Removed dice size scaling to create a more standardized progression.

The Champion archetype has been updated to match the combat effectiveness of the Battle Master.
  • Added Improved Weapon Mastery at 6th level.
    • Increased the bonuses received to match with the effectiveness of the Battle Master's additional dice at 6th level.

Last edited:

Gadget

Adventurer
I have not read the document yet, but I just wanted to say that I've long thought that 5e could be compressed into 10-12 levels of Advancement. Even the vaunted 9 levels of spells could be compressed somewhat, as the efficacy and viability of high level spells tends to vary quite a bit. I had a vague idea of doing some type of "Paragon Path" or Advanced Class selection after that, but leaving it as just magic items or perhaps feats seems like a good option as well. So kudos there.

Also, other's will differ, but I also like the nostalgic twist of race as class, as classes are really just fantasy archetypes and tropes when you get down to it.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Couldn't you achieve the same end by just handing out XP at a higher rate? So you get through 20 levels in the same play time your revised system gets through 10?

DaedalusX51

Explorer
Couldn't you achieve the same end by just handing out XP at a higher rate? So you get through 20 levels in the same play time your revised system gets through 10?
So the difference is, this way we can effectively use all the content we have now to keep the stories flowing as far as you can survive.

In addition, this is effectively level 20+ content that is already in the game.

What's the point of 20 levels if you have no content when you get there?

Once you get to 10, you are hunting the great flying beasts that this game was named after. Ones that only get tougher as they go up in level.

This gives you a sense of progression after you reach the max level.

It's either this or we wait until an epic level handbook when they realize that they don't have an endgame.

And knowing their release schedules! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
But... your suggestion is to cap at level 10 and then continue playing by accumulating magic items etc. Couldn't you just do the same in the regular game once you hit level 20?

Is it that there aren't enough CR 20+ monsters for you, and this way you can use all the CR 10+ monsters? That seems like maybe more than you need though.

And isn't it kind of a bummer not to get level 6+ spells?

I don't know, it is just kind of confusing to me. So I guess I just can't provide much useful feedback. But I have to say your document is quite nice looking :)

DaedalusX51

Explorer
But... your suggestion is to cap at level 10 and then continue playing by accumulating magic items etc. Couldn't you just do the same in the regular game once you hit level 20?

Is it that there aren't enough CR 20+ monsters for you, and this way you can use all the CR 10+ monsters? That seems like maybe more than you need though.

And isn't it kind of a bummer not to get level 6+ spells?

I don't know, it is just kind of confusing to me. So I guess I just can't provide much useful feedback. But I have to say your document is quite nice looking :)
It's also meant as a representation of basic D&D. With race as class and a limited amount of levels/progression.

This is what I'm going to use to introduce people to D&D. Clear character archetypes that tell most of the story. Of course you can move to regular D&D with all of the advanced options, but I wanted a larger picture Basic that can be it's own game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
First, wow! That's a Looooooot of work. So kudos on that.

Haven't given it a full/thorough read. But really like what I saw.

I would say/recommend/suggest that you could continue to advance level and continue to advance the Proficiency Bonus. The increasing prof bonus can help with handling higher level threats without necessarily "overpowering" the characters or relying on magic items. Also there are a few various class features that use prof. bonus and those getting an occasional bump will help with the advanced level feel without having to add more features and more HD and more , more, more. I agree 5e can be a bit too much over too many levels.I've never been a fan of the "I can't have a 'dead' level! wah wah. bad design. wah wah. how pointless." So this looks like it could be a ton of fun.

I'm noooot 100% on making druids only Forest Gnomes. I might have made them a "subclass" of Half-elf. Or, rather, make the Half-elf the druid and make the bard a potential subclass thereof. Go back to 1e. ;)

As for your Monk conundrum...in addition to being out of PHB classes to use...if you want to go back to a D&D race-as-class type game (but are including gnomes, half-elves, half-orcs, dragonborn and tieflings) I might suggest using Rakasta.

I know Tabaxi are in that new Volo's guy for monster characters. Not sure if rakasta are. But they could be easily skinned from tabaxi (HA! More than one way to skin a cat...I crack me up). So, that was my first thought there. Go backs back to "Expert," instead of "Basic," but I think you could get away with it.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Except for the race as class concept I really like this idea. I have thought about doing something like this myself. I would also cap ability scores to 18 max. Require the characters to be 11th level min., + magic items or boons to increase their score above 18. If you put all those together the lower damage and attack bonus should make higher CR monsters more challenging.

Nice work and thank you for sharing!

DaedalusX51

Explorer
Except for the race as class concept I really like this idea. I have thought about doing something like this myself. I would also cap ability scores to 18 max. Require the characters to be 11th level min., + magic items or boons to increase their score above 18. If you put all those together the lower damage and attack bonus should make higher CR monsters more challenging.

Nice work and thank you for sharing!

I purposefully wrote them so that they didn't reference the races directly without it also making sense for the class itself.
I realize many people don't like that restriction, so I made as optional as possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads