• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HARP

HARP brings you the flexibility, simplicity, and drama you crave in a quick and easy 192 pages. HARP has everything you love about fantasy roleplaying: flexible character creation, exciting combat, critical hits, and magic. Fast and fun, HARP will have your friends up and running with new characters and everything they need to play in about an hour. Even better, HARP and Rolemaster are highly compatible; so new and experienced players can sit down together at the gaming table on a level field. HARP will cure your Adventuring blahs with these great features:
  • Fast, Exciting Character Creation
  • Combat that leaves you breathless.
  • Everything you need to play in one book
  • Full Website Support

JoeGKushner

First Post
First up, this review has already seen electronic publication at RPG.net. I thought that since HARP comes up occassionally and the author is often over here, that I'd bring it over. I've cleaned up the typos where I could find them and added a few words here and there for clarification.

Second up, this is a review of the first printing of HARP. When it came time for a 2nd, the company, wisely in my opinion, added more material to the book, most of which can be fond on their website.

Onto the review!

There are two major problems when trying to get people into roleplaying games. The first is complexity. Rules are vital to a good role playing experience but having too many can quickly bog down newcomers. The second is price. Few RPGs these days are able to be run quickly on their own and be quality games without numerous sourcebooks.

Others can't be properly run at all on their own like Rolemaster, Dungeons & Dragons, GURPS and Hero. They all require sourcebooks to alter game mechanics like GURPS Fantasy or Fantasy Hero, or whole other books to get all the rules like Arms Law or the Dungeon Master's Guide. Some may disagree with me saying that GURPS or Hero can perfectly run their own campaigns with just the source book. They don’t have all of those source books selling because they’re not adding a lot to the stew. This doesn't count encounters and monsters, which are usually in a separate book.

HARP, High Adventure Role-Playing, comes to the rescue. It's a simple, streamlined version of Rolemaster Standard System that gets the game going and can be started quickly. It allows a high level of customization while sticking with standard fantasy conventions. What's even better is that it's one core book that has everything you need to play for $25.00.

Now what does that mean everything you need to play? What about character creation rules? How about a magic system? Monsters? Skills? Rules for advancement? All covered.
HARP is broken up into fifteen chapters. The first nine involve character creation. I know that sounds scary, but it's really just a progression of ideas to go from your stats to actual character use. Pick your profession. There are nine basic professions here that cover the fantasy standards ranging from cleric and fighter, to ranger and thief. Those who want to be in the middle can take the rogue, a fighter thief or the warrior mage, a fighter type with some spellcasting abilities.

Each profession has favored categories that give you skill points to use to buy skills as well as professional abilities that grant bonuses. For example, the harper gets 4 ranks in artistic. They could use that for acting, dancing, mimicry, play instrument, singing or storytelling. The ranger on the other hand, may learn spells from the Ranger sphere as well as gaining a +10 bonus to one Outdoor skill. By doing this, they give the players a solid template on which to customize their characters.

So after you choose your profession, you have to generate your stats. There are a few option ways to generate your eight stats. You can roll percentile dice eight times and as long as all results are over 40, keep it. You can use a point buy of 550 with cost equaling point value on a 1 per 1 basis until the higher stat levels, 91+ are reached, at which point you use a table, or you can use a point buy plus random dice. I always go with point buy as that helps keep things even. Not 100% even as other things come about due to stat placement but fairly even.
Next up race and culture. There are the standard races from elf and halfling, to one exotic Gryx, which reminds me a little of the half-orc in its monstrous appearance. Now something different was done here to prevent the numerous half this and half that so common in fantasy RPGs. You can take talents to represent your racial heritage, coming in two flavors, lesser and greater. The cultures are add ons to your race and range from nomadic and rural, to urban and underhill. These bits include background, locations, clothing, demeanor, and starting languages. Based on your culture, you get different ranks in your skills.

You've got your professions, race, and cultural background. Now its time to buy your skills. Skills are broken up in large categories with specific skills found within them. They have stats that effect them and have a resolution that varies from All-or-Nothing, to Combat to Special. Those that are special are usually important abilities like PP (Power Point) Development or Endurance (Concussion Hits). Unlike some other games, characters can have a high amount of hit points early on in the game.

While the game doesn't have feats, it does have Talents. In the Rolemaster System, you received background options that you used to purchase special abilities or special items. In HARP, you get Talents bought with your standard points. It makes the same mistake that Dungeons and Dragons makes though, and has several skills that do the same thing like Artistic and Athletic, which grant a +10 bonus to all skills in that category while at the same cost, you could take Skill Specialization, which has the same cost, but only effects a single skill. Multiclassing or the ability to take another class, is also handled through the use of Additional Profession. Thankfully, once you've taken an additional profession as a talent, you don't have to pay to rise in that profession again.

Having special abilities to customize yourself is useful, but how do you represent your original training at that special location? That would come through Training Packages. These are linked skills that come at a discount and hail from a common background. It's a strong concept that's seen use in Rolemaster Standard System and works well here too. Not a lot of examples but a good solid ground base to work off. I know few Monks who won't take the Jade Dragon ability or few Rogues who wouldn't want the Bounty Hunter package. The only thing I don't like about the packages is that they come after you've already set up your skills as far as character creation goes. By placing this chapter earlier, you'd saved some time and eraser marks on your character sheet.

Once you have your character fully created, there are still some minor things to take care of like equipment. The list here contains all of the general items you'll need as well as costs for lodging, transportation and armor. Unlike some games, armor here can be bought either completely or in individual pieces.

The system for skill resolution is simple. Take all of your bonuses for a particular skill and roll percentile dice. Check your total roll against the Maneuver Table and see where you land. Examples of different skill uses and optional uses are included to ease players and GMs alike into the system. This ranges from how long it can take to get to 100% of repairing an old watch to haggling over prices to sell the watch in the first place. Like its parent, Rolemaster, there are chances to fail big. Fumbles of different types are collected onto one table so no matter what the subject, combat, influence, mental, moving, physical or spell, you use one table. A solid idea that saves page turning and player copies. Some of the elements are quite humorous. One of the higher rolls on the Mental column, “In the words of a great philosopher, “Doh!”” Perfect for those times when you just don't know what your thinking about.

In some ways, I'm amazed at all they managed to fit into the book. Many common dangers of adventuring are covered ranging from falling and drowning, to heat and cold environments. This allows the GM to quickly and without any outside resources, pit his campaign in the far north or the harsh south.

Combat gets its own section but is similar in many ways to a standard skill check with some additional modifiers. You total your combat bonus and make an open ended roll. That total is then subtracted from your enemy's defensive bonus. You then take your total, if higher than a 1, you modify it based on your weapon. In the parent system, you had to compare your role minus the defense against a specific AT or Armor Type and then check the critical. Here, it's all one roll. So if you attack with a medium weapon and get a 78 using a mace, you look under Krush and see that you've inflicted a Medium wound for 10 hits and 2 rounds of stun giving foe -10 to all actions.

Another big part of any fantasy game, Magic, gets its own chapter. Spells are broken down into spheres, very similar to spell lists. Each spellcasting classes gets its own professional sphere and other spheres like universal, are also available. How do you know if you can cast a spell?

First, you have to have as many skill ranks as the spell costs in power points. The example used is a 5 power point spell requiring a skill rank of 5. This is important to note for a few reasons. One, you can modify a spell by scaling it. To cast it in a scaled version, you still have to have the skill ranks equal to the power point requirement of the spell in its new version. Two, it's an individual spell, not like Rolemaster where you learn a spell list. Three, you have to have the power points to fuel the spell. Now what's to stop someone from just taking the most powerful spells at the start of the game? There's a maximum number of ranks per level so at 1st level, you'll find yourself only able to cast a spell worth 6 ranks.

The spells cover the standard from healing and augmentation, to arcane bolts and raising the dead. For those who want scaling options, you're covered. For example, Drain Life sucks 1 Hit Per round from a target and gives the caster that Hit. You can improve the range, drain more targets or even increase the amount of drain. For example, lets say that you're badly injured and surrounded by friends willing to lay down their lives. You don't have to increase the range, but want to hit three people and suck 'em dry. This increases the cost by 12 for the increased drain and 8 for the extra targets, giving you a total of 23 power points, requiring you to have 23 skill ranks.

Now to me, that covers the players. You have your races, professions, background options, special abilities, and combat. GMs get to play with Herbs and Poisons, Encounters & Monsters, Treasure, and Game Master Guidelines. Players will want the Herbs very quickly as many of them are used to heal damage or augment their abilities. The section on Monsters is brief but provides the GM several creatures to start his campaign off with.

I was impressed that they were able to get magic items in the book as well as standard goods. It's important to have something for the players to strive for and achieve after killing orcs and goblins. The guidelines are old hat to me, but to newcomers, they will prove vital for they detail how to award experience points. This system is a little vague and isn't focused on combat like several RPGs are but rather, on achieving goals. Experience is awarded based on the size of the goal. Was it a major goal or a minor goal? Was it a personal goal or a campaign goal? These rules will suffice for players and GMs who want more storytelling in their games as opposed to combat will quickly embrace them.

The book ends off with a blank two-page character sheet. The nice thing about ICE though is that they already have several downloads to help players out including some in Excel that work with the character creation guidelines and help with the math.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised at was the art and layout. The art is good quality stuff. I guess I'm so used to seeing a wide variety of art ranging from gorgeous to utterly crap in d20 products that I've forgotten that other companies can do a good job with art and layout too. This should come as no surprise as they use some of the same people like Toren Atkinson, Jeff Laubenstien and others whose names I don't see signed with the art, but are impressive nonetheless. Chapters are broken into a large illustration with text describing what's in the following pages. The border is easy on the eyes and the text follows the delicate balance of being easy to read without being huge and wasting space.
The book is a little light when it comes to detailing everything. More spells, special abilities, and training packages would encourage more specialization.

More monsters, magic items, and advice on experience points would make a GMs job easier. But then the books price and page count would both have to be lifted. I think that they just about have the right mixture of material and potential for more material. About the only thing lacking at all is implied setting but since a separate book is coming out for that, we shouldn't have to worry.

Those who'll get the most out of this book are those who are either new to roleplaying and want a simple system to start with. Those tired of endless rules supplements that don't really add anything to the game and return to a simpler, and fun time, will also find HARP refreshing.

Ghostwind

First Post
HARP: High Adventure Roleplaying (Revised)

Posted on behalf of John Grigsby, d20 Magazine Rack staff reviewer.

Initiative Round
High Adventure Role Playing is a fantasy rules set from Iron Crown Enterprises. This is a 194-page PDF by Tim Dugger and Heike A. Kubasch. The cover art by Ciruelo is entitled “Fafner” and depicts a lone warrior facing a dragon for its treasure horde. Toren “MacBin” Atkinson, Peter Bergting, David Bezzina, Matt Foster, Eric Hotz, Mike Jackson, Jeff Laubenstein, Pat Ann Lewis, Larry MacDougall, Jennifer Meyer, Colin Throm, and Kieran Yanner contribute to the interior art. HARP retails for $25.00.

I should point out that this review is actually just a brief look at the revision of the HARP rules that I reviewed several months ago. If you haven’t read it, I recommend that you go and check it out, then come back here for the pick-up notes on the revision. The easiest way to handle this is probably just to take it step-by-step, page-by-page, so that’s what I’ll do.

The introduction has some minor rewording, but nothing you’d notice on a casual glance (I had to compare the two volumes side-by-side to catch it). In the Professions section, the cleric has been revised slightly. Combat and Outdoor have been removed as favored categories and replaced by the player’s choice of two categories. This actually makes the cleric one of the most versatile Professions in the game. The ranger also undergoes a minor adjustment, losing 1 Development Point each from Combat and Mystical Arts and gaining 2 DP in the Physical category. Thieves are more balanced, losing 1 DP each from Physical, General, and Combat and 2 DP from Subterfuge, but gaining 3 DP of Athletic and 2 DP of Influence. They have also been given the free talent, Subtle. Finally, the example for multiple Professions has been reworded somewhat for better understanding.

Races and Cultures undergo some rather significant changes. First, the resistance bonuses no longer offer penalties to any race. For gnomes, gryx, halfings, and humans, each bonus has been increased by 5 points, while the bonuses for elves have been smoothed out, and the penalty on Magic for dwarves replaced with a +10 bonus to Will. Furthermore, the Endurance and Power Point ratings have been greatly simplified to a single bonus, rather than the disjointed progression system that was used previously. For the cultures, Starting Languages have been revised slightly, with speaking in the native tongue reduced by 2 and reduced by 1 for the secondary language (thus allowing for development). The only other change of note is a modification to the Adolescent Skills Table, such that each culture provides exactly 20 ranks, instead of the variable numbers that previously were granted. As an aside, I couldn’t help but notice that a disclaimer has been added to the gryx race, clearly identifying them as the “half-orcs” of HARP.

One the surface, the skill point system still works largely the same. The old formula of -25Ÿ5Ÿ2Ÿ1Ÿ1 has been simplified to -25Ÿ5Ÿ2Ÿ1, but don’t be fooled. It’s still the same system, it’s just that skill ranks above 21 have been combined into a single digit instead of the pointless “+1 for 21-30 Ranks, and +1 for 31+ Ranks.” Ranks still give the same bonuses as previously, but the confusing Racial Skill Rank Progressions (for Endurance and Power Points) have thankfully been replaced with a straight modifier (as indicated above). On the master skill list, there are only minor changes; Herbcraft has been removed from the Outdoor category (since it appears in the General category), and Resistance has been added to the General category.

As noted previously, Endurance and Power Points now provide a straight bonus, rather than progressive bonuses. The Resistance skill simply permits characters to spend DP towards increasing their resistance bonuses; a very useful addition. Each of the three types of Resistance Roll is increased separately. Counterspell has been added to the General list under Spells. Talents & Other Options are largely unchanged save for a few minor modifications (such as the addition of the Focus Item to Special Starting Items).

In the equipment section, you’ll find a few adjustments to the weights and fumble ranges of weapons and the weight of armor. The one big change is to the Individual Armor Pieces table, which has now been divided by armor type to provide greater flexibility in building a custom set of armor.

In large part, the mechanics of the game remain streamlined and pretty simple, though one interesting addition is the “66 Rule.” This rule states that if an unmodified 66 is rolled during a skill attempt, something unusual happens. If the skill fails, the failure includes something bad. If the skill succeeds, then the character succeeds in an unusual, perhaps even spectacular, manner. The GM determines the exact effects, based on the situation. Rules have also been added for grenade-like attacks, as well as special combat conditions such as invisibility, poor visibility, and fighting blind.

The section on armor provides a handy chart for those who aren’t sure exactly what pauldrons or a gorget protect (shoulders and neck, respectively, just in case you didn’t know), and the Individual Pieces of Armor table has seen some expansion, to better reflect the different types of armor available. So yes, now it is possible to wear a rigid leather helm, plate/chain pauldrons, chain gauntlets, a soft leather shirt, and a plate cuìrass. You know you want to.

A few new combat actions have been added, such as Sudden Dodge and Weapon Bind, and “krush” has been correctly spelled as “crush” (perhaps the Mortal Kombat lawyers took offense?). Speaking of criticals, attack rolls have now been given a cap, based on weapon size. Using a tiny weapon, for example, you will not exceed a roll of 80 on the Critical Table, regardless of the actual attack roll. This may be violated, however, by certain skills and/or Combat Actions and is also ignored on an unmodified roll of 99-100 on the attack dice. The critical tables have also been expanded and the damage for most of the results increased.

In Magic and Spells, most of the spells have undergone minor adjustments of one sort or another. Blur, for example, now provides a +10 to DB and also gives a +5 bonus to Stalk & Hide maneuvers. Herbs & Poisons appears to be completely unchanged.

Some minor adjustments have been made to creature stats, most of them you’re unlikely to notice at a casual glance. However, four new sections have been added to each monster description—Abilities, IQ, DB, and Skills. Abilities lists racial or special abilities of the monster, IQ gives the creature’s intelligence score and some basic information on how it will act, DB breaks down the monster’s DB, and Skills provides the GM with a few common skills possessed by the monster. A new table also provides a full set of stat bonuses, Endurance, PP, and Resistance Rolls for every monster, including mounts for the PCs. Those monsters that may be used as player character races (pending GM permission) are also identified.

Though the actual treasures haven’t changed much, there is a new kind of item, one that provides a generic (effectively making the item a “+#”) to skill use when the item is used. The Mundane Treasure table has also been reworked such as to provide a greater chance of obtaining normal equipment as opposed to specialized equipment such as wizard’s gear. Finally, the Gamemaster Guidelines section has been expanded slightly, providing a few more examples and also some non-adventuring Professions (such as artisan and scoundrel).

Critical Hit
From what I am able to discern, the changes here make sense and seem to be good overall. The alterations aren’t so drastic as to be completely game-altering if your campaign is already underway, though some minor reworking of characters may be necessary. The detailed index is a welcome change, and since I noted that in my first review, I’d like to say thank you (as well as hope that in some small way, I influenced it).

Critical Fumble
I still have an issue with the critical tables providing weapon damage, rather than as an addition to damage. I think that veterans of role-playing games in general are going to be a little confused by this terminology, and I probably would have either inserted base weapon damage back into the system (as it used to be) or changed the word “critical” to something else.

Coup de Grace
The revised edition of HARP is similar to D&D 3.5, an expansion and clarification of a decent and solid rules core. Where changes were made, they were made to balance the system after extensive playtesting and feedback. The artwork remains the same, having been recycled from the original version. On the whole, the revised edition takes a good thing and makes it better and if you’ve already found some enjoyment through HARP, it’s probably worth your money to pick up the PDF and post the changes in your own book. If you haven’t tried HARP yet, and what I’ve written here (and in my previous review) intrigues you, make sure and pick up the revised edition!

Final Grade: A-

der_kluge

Adventurer
HARP is a 194 page product from ICE (Iron Crown Enterprises). HARP (High Adventure Role Playing) comes in three forms – hardbound, softbound, and .pdf. This is a .pdf review, but the softbound product (of which I also own) is essentially the same product in physical form. The HARP pdf sells for $10.

You can also download “HARP Lite” for free at http://www.harphq.com – HARP Lite is just like HARP with lots of extras removed – it has far fewer classes, removes gnomes and the Gryx from the races, reduces some of the skills available, and removes, well a little bit of everything. It does provide a good overview of the game, and for free, you can’t possibly go wrong. If you like it, you can then purchase the regular game, which includes all the classes, races, spells, and skills.

The HARP pdf is essentially a digital version of the book, and thus has no bookmarks, or anything like that. It would also be a tad bit unwieldy as a pdf, and if you were going to play the game, like a D&D PHB, you’d probably want a physical copy at the game table. As such, printing out the pdf is not terribly taxing. There is a border along the outer sides of each page, and there is a fair bit of art, and most of it is really good. It’s all black and white. The cover is b/w as well, and it would have been nice to have a color cover, but it’s not.

Before I delve into an actual review, you must first understand what HARP is, and what it is not. First, HARP is not d20. It makes no attempt to be d20. Also, HARP is not rolemaster, although I can only assume that it is somewhat Rolemaster-like, although I admit that I am not familiar with Rolemaster. This is not an OGL product, and is completely licensed by ICE, and has no affiliation with WoTC whatsoever. HARP stands for High Adventure Role-Playing, and while the rules are designed to be generic enough to use for any setting, it is specifically designed for us in fantasy games. I suppose the same could be said of D&D – you could use the PHB to play a space game, but it’s not really designed for that. In this review I will attempt to draw a corollary to D&D, since that is the position most readers here are going to be accustomed to. Please don’t think that I’m trying to compare the two products, because the two are quite different in many respects. But, for purposes of this review, you can consider it “HARP, from a D&D player’s perspective”.

HARP is a percentile-based system. As such, all you need to play is two ten-sided dice. The layout of HARP is not unlike the D&D PHB in that it has a chapter for classes, races, equipment, etc. It’s a role-playing game, folks. We’re not exactly treading into unfamiliar territory here.

The first chapter covers the basics “what is an RPG”. Personally, I’m getting kind of tired of reading these kinds of chapters, and every RPG has them. I understand why they are there, but I’d also argue that it’s fundamentally impossible to learn how to play an RPG just from reading one. But I digress.

Chapter two is brief, and just covers the basics of character creation, which I’ll explain further in my description of chapter 3.

Chapter 3 (long wait, huh?) covers character creation. One of the minor annoying aspects of HARP is that it tries very hard to not be d20. One of the ways it accomplishes this is by renaming things people have grown accustomed to. Like, in HARP, classes are called professions. What are professions called? Training packages, but more on that later. There are 9 professions in HARP – cleric, fighter, rogue, thief, harper, mage, ranger, warrior mage, and monk. Unlike D&D, the clas, er, profession descriptions are very brief. One thing that is noticeably different about professions in HARP, versus classes in D&D is that professions are really just a collection of skill points. HARP is a skill-based system. Everything in HARP is a skill. Using a weapon is a skill, casting a spell is a skill, making a saving throw is a skill, and even how many hit points you have is a skill. In D&D, a fighter includes certain assumptions about these things – fighters will advance on a certain progression with fortitude saves, they will increase their base attack bonus every level, and they will have d10 hit dice every level. HARP makes no assumptions. If you want to make a fighter with very few hit points, good will saves, and is a master herbalist, then you’ve found the right system. HARP is very flexible in this regard. Furthermore, HARP’s professions all have the same number of skill points. So, creating new classes which are perfectly balanced with the core classes is a snap, because all you have to do is give them 20 skill points, and then say which category the skill ranks fall into. And that’s basically it. So, there really aren’t any issues with balance issues here, since all classes are essentially the same. There are even variant rules on the HARP website to eliminate classes altogether.

Another nice thing is the separation of the rogue from the thief. There is also a Harper (a nice little play on the title) which is essentially a bard, without the musical abilities. It’s sort of like a spellcasting rogue, but with a unique spell list. I would have been happier if HARP just left out the monk class, but in a weird ironic twist, while HARP tries to be as different from D&D as possible, it also tries to be as inclusive as possible, and works very hard to attracting people to the game. Their biggest market is D&D players, so they’ve made every attempt to include corollaries where possible. The monk actually eats up a sizable amount of space in this game, since there’s a whole slew of skills which are pretty much monk-specific, so axing the monk would have meant the product could have saved about 10 pages. That’s my preference, but obviously not everyone will share this opinion. Like d20, all classes also have the same XP progression chart. Unlike d20, the XP requirements are much lower (only 350xp needed to get to level 2), but XP is calculated in a different way. XP is gained by completing goals, not just by killing monsters or acquiring phat lewt. These are more story-oriented XP awards, and I much prefer this method of XP award anyway, and it’s how I run my D&D games. Rather than tabulating the number of XP at the end of a session, I can just say “ok, now you’re all 2nd level” at the end of the dungeon complex. This is a simpler approach, and a unified XP chart allows this to happen.

Chapter 4 is character statistics. These are the ability scores. HARP has 8 statistics (don’t call them ability scores!) – strength, constitution, agility, quickness, self-discipline, reasoning, insight, and presence. In D&D speak, strength and constitution are as you expect. Insight would be wisdom, reasoning is intelligence, and presence is charisma. Dexterity is broken out into two separate stats – quickness and agility. Agility involves more physical things, and quickness determines movement, and reaction, and armor class. Self-discipline has no D&D corollary. It is important to monks, and represents “inner resolve, dedication, and stubbornness” It is also one of the primary spell-casting stats. Statistics in HARP are based on a scale of 1 to 105, with anything over 100 being really good, obviously. Like d20, a stat has a bonus modifier, like a 12 in D&D is a +1. So, in HARP, a 51-55 is a +1 modifier. In HARP, statistics have a huge effect on character creation, because not only do they modify skills, they also determine the number of stating development points or DPs a character gets. DPs are used to by things called talents (feats), can be used to augment skills, or even increase statistics (attributes). So, a character with high scores will start with more DPs than a character with low scores. This character in turn can use the DPs to bump up his scores, which will mean that he’ll get even more DPs the next time he levels up, further increasing the divide between him and his lower-scored friends. This is why I highly recommend using a point-buy system for characters to determine their statistics. Or, just assign a flat number of DPs per level regardless of the statistics. I do feel like the current system (while realistic!), is not very balanced, and could generate some unhappy players.

Chapter 5 covers races. All the standards are here, including a new race called the Gryx. The Gryx is a corollary to the half-orc, except it’s a peaceful, secluded race, though big and ugly. Each race has some bonuses to the stat modifier. Now, that’s to the stat modifier itself, not the stat. So, a dwarf has a +5 to constitution. If you have a 51 constitution, which is a +1 modifier, you get a +6 modifier with a dwarf, not merely a 56 constitution. So, some of these modifiers can have a very drastic effect on your character. Each race also has a base number of endurance (hit points) and some base modifiers to the saving throws (stamina, will, and magic). For example, dwarves have a base endurance of 50, whereas elves have a base of 20. All races have a 30 points allocated among the three saving throws. Like D&D, races come with some prepackaged abilities. Like, dwarves have “stone sense”, “dense musculature”, and “dark vision (greater)”. Most of these abilities are talents, and have costs assigned to them, so if you wanted to make a dwarf without dark vision (greater), you could easily swap out that ability for some other 30 point talent. One negative is that not all of these abilities are given as talents, like “stone sense” or the gnomes” natural camouflage”, so swapping these out for something else is not as easy. The abilities aren’t balanced among each race as clearly. So, the dwarves abilities cost more than the elves abilities (even assuming a nominal price for stone sense). So, creating a new race is a little trickier to balance, since the races are a bit more of a “black box” than the classes are.

Chapter 5 also has “racial hybrids” which is a great concept. There is no half-orc or half-elf in HARP - instead you can take half of one thing, and half of something else. You could create a half dwarf, half-gnome, or a half-human, half-gryx. These come in the form of “greater” and “lesser” blood. To do this, you start with a base race, and then either add “greater” or “lesser” blood abilities from whichever race is present. Doing this results in a half-blooded character, or a quarter-blooded character. For example, you could start with dwarf and add lesser blood gnome, and lesser blood Halfling to reflect that you’re dad was a dwarf, but that your mom was a half-halfling, half-gnome.

Lastly, chapter 5 covers “cultures”. These are backgrounds for your character, and reflect where they grew up. Examples include “urban”, “rural”, or “sylvan”. Each culture affects starting languages, though most are identical, and assigns “adolescent skill ranks” accordingly. These provide a few nominal points in various things that you might have engaged in as a child. GMs could choose to skip this step entirely, since the few skill points gained ultimately will have little effect on the game play, but it’s a nice touch.

Chapter 6 is skills. Because HARP is a skill-based system, understanding the skills is very important. One minor downside to this chapter is that the important skills are just lumped into categories with things that are not as useful. This could ultimately lead to some confusion for first-time HARP players, or players new to role-playing games in general. For example, “endurance” is listed right alongside “jumping” and aside from a boxed text section listing which skills are important, it can be easy to overlook the fact that “endurance” is the number of hit points (called “concussion hits”) you have. Knowing which skills are important is the key to making a good character. It is, in fact, quite easy to make a perfectly balanced, yet absolutely pathetically inadequate character in HARP! All you have to do is ignore the important skills, and put lots of points into basketweaving and herbalism (or, whatever; you get the idea). The number of ranks you have in a skill is based on two separate statistics’ modifiers and your ranks. Most skills in HARP are based off two statistics (attributes), not just one. For example, “play instrument” is based on presence and agility. So, in this sense, it is based on your manual dexterity, and your personal charisma. So, even though you might have the swiftest fingers in the galaxy, you’re musicianship will suffer if you’re ugly. (hey, no one likes an ugly guitar player!). I like this approach, and discourages people from min-maxing their characters. In HARP, having a few weak scores can greatly offset your few good scores. Skills in HARP are also broken out into specific categories, such as “artistic”, “athletic”, “combat” and others. This is where professions come in – professions are ranks of skill categories. For example, a fighter gets 2 points in “athletic”, 2 points in “general”, and 8 points in both “combat” and “physical”. Any skills in categories other than these, the fighter must spend twice as many points on, so in essence these are “cross-class” skills – called “favored” or “non-favored” categories. The cool thing about this is that fighters can spend points learning to cast spells, but because it’s not a favored category, he just can’t do it as well as someone who has it as a favored category. Because such points are precious, spending lots of points in a non-favored category can quickly make you a useless character, so do this with caution!

Another neat thing about the skills section is that a lot of the combat styles like “Blind-fighting”, “two-weapon fighting” or “disarming” are skills. In HARP, you have to learn how to fight blind, or how to disarm an opponent, and you can improve these skills like any other skill. Weapon skills also work a little differently. You put points into learning a weapon group such as long blades, or short blades, etc. You choose one weapon in this group to be a primary choice, and then anything else in that group is used at a -10. You can use other weapons within the same “class” at 25% of your total bonus. This means that even if rapier is your primary weapon, you’re not at a total loss if you have to pick up a hand-axe, which is also in the “1 handed edge” category.

Chapter 7 is talents. Talents are like feats, except that they don’t all cost the same. Talents are also a little more innate to a character. Whereas in D&D, feats often represent learned things, talents in HARP are a bit more “who you are” kinds of things. You can purchase feats at any level increase with DPs, but some are quite expensive, and are therefore only purchased at 1st level (when you have a premium to spend) or after saving up for a few levels. Examples of some talents include “ambidexterity”, “lightning reflexes”, “familiar” (aka, wizard’s familiar) and “speak with normal animals”. There are also skill-increasing talents, which can be used to really boost up important skills. There is also a talent called “additional profession” which must be purchased if the player wishes to multi-class.

The last part of this chapter covers training packages. Training packages are a great concept. Essentially they are packages of related skills which are purchased at a discount. Anyone wishing to maximize their character’s potential will most definitely want to purchase a training package. Essentially you calculate the cost of all the skills in the package as if you purchased them normally (taken into consideration skills which are from non-favored categories as well) and then take a 25% deduction from the whole lot. You have to take all the ranks in training package as written, and you lose any ranks that would take you over your maximum. For example, say you have 3 ranks in a skill, and training package has 4 ranks in that same skill, as well as ranks in other skills. The maximum ranks you can have in a skill at 1st level is 6, so taking the training package means that you’ll be losing out on 1 additional point in that skill that you can’t use, though you still have to pay for it. This can lead to a bit of min-maxing, and can make character creation take longer. So, in this example, the player will probably move one point in that skill into another skill so that he can get the full benefit of the training package. One should apply training packages first, to avoid this complication. Creating characters in HARP can be a bit of an artform.

Chapter 8 is equipment. There isn’t much to say about it, other than the fact that weapons don’t have damage dice. Weapons have an attack size/type and a fumble range. For example, a mace is “medium crush” with a fumble range of “01-02”, and a longsword is “medium slash” with a fumble range of “01-03”. More on this in chapter 9. One other interesting aspect of HARP is that armor can be purchased piecemeal. You can purchase bits of chain, plate, or leather, and sum up the DB (defensive bonus) to get a cumulative total. Another noteworthy piece of information is that shields require a “shield specialization” talent to be used properly. Shields have two DB (armor class) ratings – one for trained, and one for untrained. Shields are much less effective if they are used untrained. Armor use is also a skill, and to effectively use armor, one must have ranks in the armor skill. The more DB armor provides, the higher the skill ranks you need to use it.

(It’s hard to believe, but we’re not even halfway through this book yet!)

Chapter 9 is titled “Adventuring” and covers the basic mechanics of the game, including skill resolution (called maneuvers), light sources, drowning, grenade-like attacks, and a host of other sundry game-related things. The key from this chapter is that not all skills are resolved the same way. Some skills are percentage, like craft. When you succeed, you produce a percentage result, and thus with more successes, you’ll eventually get to 100% (theoretically, at least). Table 9-1 is the “maneuver table” and is central to any skill resolution. All skills are rolled, and then compared to this chart to determine the result. I’d like to have seen a system that didn’t rely on this chart, and it seems like it would have been easy enough to do that, but that’s the mechanic nonetheless. A check is made by rolling the dice, adding any modifiers, and if it exceeds 100, it is successful. Maneuvers are modified anywhere from “routine” (+60) to absurd (-100). So, obviously in order to get a 100 on an absurd roll (-100), you’re going to need some serious skill bonuses.

Chapter 10 is Combat. In HARP, a combat round is two-seconds long. In HARP, all players declare their action before rolling initiative. This is realistic, but certainly means that combat is going to take more time. Fortunately, combat in HARP is also pretty deadly, which means it shouldn’t take very long! Essentially combat is resolved with a formula OB – DB. Each character has an offensive bonus (OB) (or, base attack bonus), and each character has a defensive bonus (DB) (or armor class). Your weapon skill, strength, and other relevant scores will affect your OB, and your armor, quickness, and other relevant factors will increase your DB. Because weapons don’t have their own damage rating, the amount of damage that is dealt is the difference in these two numbers. So, in this sense, armor is absorbing, rather than reflective. Having heavy armor means you take less damage. If the OB – DB exceeds 1, you hit. Then, you have to look on a chart to determine damage. For example, say the result was a 35. You’d need to then know what type of weapon you have, and how big it is. Bigger weapons do more damage. Medium weapons are the defacto standard, and thus impose a whopping +0 to the charts, so that’s easy. Say we hit with a mace, and the OB – DB is 35. We’d look at the crushing criticals (in HARP, any hit is called a “critical”) table. There, in the “31-40” entry we read: “Hefty strike bruises leg muscles and bones.
Foe takes 11 Hits and is at -5.” So, the opponent took 11 “hits” (hit points), which the target would subtract from their total. They are also at a -5 to all their strength, agility, and quickness maneuvers. This could end up changing your DB, if a big chunk of your DB relies on you being fast, rather than just well armored. A character can also “bleed” which causes them to lose additional “hits” for a number of rounds, or be “stunned”. In HARP, stunned doesn’t mean paralyzed, it really means “dazed and confused” and means that the character can’t attack, but can parry, and perform other simple actions. In addition to criticals for crushing, slashing, and piercing weapons, there are criticals tables for heat, cold, electrical, and poison damage.

Chapter 11 is “Magic & spells”. In HARP, like everything else, spellcasting is a skill. There are a couple of major differences between HARP and D&D when it comes to spellcasting. The first is that each spellcasting class gets its own spell list. And there are not millions of spells like there are in D&D (ok, admittedly an exaggeration, but…). In fact, the Mage, who has the most spells, has 33 spells – period. There is also a Universal sphere which anyone can pull from. This sphere has 23 spells, which increases the Mage’s total to around 56 spells total. There are also no spell levels per se. Spells in HARP are cast using power points (PP). There is a minimum PP cost to cast a spell, and unless you have at least that many skill ranks in the spell, you can’t cast it. You can also spend more PP in a spell when you cast it to create what are essentially meta-magic effects. Each spell has its own augmentations defined which are unique to it. For example, “arcane bolt” the standard magic missile-esque spell costs 2 pp base. For every additional 2 points, you increase the damage dealt. Adding another +1 pp increases the range by 50 feet. Another +4 pp adds an additional target, and another 4 points will cause the spell to add a round of stun to the target. So, spending 2 (+ 2 + 1 + 4 + 4) power points gets you an arcane bolt that deals additional damage, a round of stun, affects two targets, and has an increased range. Pretty slick, huh? With such a spell, it isn’t necessary to continue learning new magic, when just increasing the ranks in a favorite spell can provide long-term use. The above spell would also require 13 ranks to cast, since you’d need that many ranks to apply all those options. Utilizing such a system, having a wizard learn a ton of spells is actually detrimental, because in the long term you won’t have enough skill points to increase all of them to the point of being quite useful. However, some spells don’t require a lot of augmentation, for example “light” doesn’t require a lot of extra points, since the basic light spell (although curiously expensive) doesn’t require a lot of oomph to be useful, so even a high level wizard could be perfectly happy never advancing such a spell beyond the minimum number of ranks required.

This system creates very unique spellcasters. It’s quite possible to have a party of nothing but spellcasters, where no two of them have the same spells. The same is true for clerics, whose spellcasting works the same way. Even “turn undead” is a spell, so you can make a cleric, and not choose to turn undead. It’s highly effective, however. Aside from the “universal” and “mage” spheres, there are also spheres for cleric, harper, ranger, and warrior-mage. HARP does not have a druid class, but one could create one fairly easy by creating a ranger and taking the appropriate talents, and spending more points on spells versus combat.

Because magic is a skill, to cast a spell, you have to roll. You can therefore fail to cast a spell, even while not in combat (although modifiers make it easier). The benefit of rolling to cast is that you can also succeed greatly. If you roll excessively well to cast a detect magic spell, for example, it might last longer, or have a larger radius. So, even though rolling can kind of slow the game down, it can have positive effects as well.

Chapter 12 is a short chapter and covers “Herbs and Poisons”. The chapter basically just details herbs and poisons and their effects (positive and negative) to those who ingest them.

Chapter 13 is “encounters and monsters”. The chapter starts off with some monsters by terrain information, and an encounter table for random encounters. The monsters in this chapter represent the basic mythological stuff such as trolls, wyverns, undead, goblins, griffins, and the other sundry creatures. A monster entry consists of a level, size, movement rate, initiative, DB (AC), hits (hit points), and attacks (which is OB and size/type; e.g., +70 m/slashing). Also included is the number encountered, the creature’s “outlook” which says whether it might be friend of foe, a treasure code, and the creature’s saving throws. These are all detailed in a summary chart. Each monster then receives a more thorough description including some of the numbers which go into the summary so you can see how they arrived at some of the values.

Chapter 14 is “treasure”. This chapter is really not unlike the DMG’s chapter on magic items. Each item has a description, and there are tables summarizing the gp costs for each, which also double as a random item generators.

Chapter 15 is “Gamemaster Guidelines”. This chapter is really “DMG lite” in that it talks about the basics of running a game, dos and donts, customizing your game, and other things. It also covers charts on how to interpret things like the lore skill and the languages, and has rules on how to award XP. The chapter concludes with NPC classes such as “hedge wizard”, “artisan” or “urban craftsman”. An NPC class is not quite as a good as a PC class, and has 5 fewer skill points to spend. Curiously absent is a “commoner” class. Finally, there is a character sheet (2 pages).

Lastly, the book has a fully detailed index (8 pages long).

Summary:

HARP is a great product. It’s well written, easy to read, and has a lot of great ideas. I view HARP as D&D if you strip it down the core mechanic, and “open” up the system. There aren’t many black boxes in HARP, and it’s all easily understandable, and realistic. I was really sold on HARP’s flexible character creation system, and the magic system. HARP also has some great supplemental material including “college of magics” which adds more spellcasting types, and more spells, “monsters: a field guide” which greatly expands the monstrous menagerie, and “martial law” which expands the combat options. There are also Harpar’s Bazaar’s which add optional rules. Because HARP is so flexible and open, tinkering with it is much easier.

What I don’t particularly care for about HARP is the combat tables, and the skill resolution. It’s a bit more complex than I feel like it needs to be, and the combat requires all those tables, with a specialized table devoted to piercing, slashing, crushing, and anything-else-you-can-think of kinds of damage. It’s not overbearing, I created a “gm screen” as a quick, easy reference for all the tables to minimize the book time, but as an old D&D player, the concept itself disappoints. Still, HARP has a lot to offer, and I’d recommend that anyone disillusioned with 3rd edition and d20 to definitely take a look at it.

ENWorld’s 5 scale review system isn’t granular enough. If it were a 10 point scale, I’d give HARP a 9. Still, HARP fascinates me enough, and has so many great ideas, I can’t help but give it a 5.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"I understand why they are there, but I’d also argue that it’s fundamentally impossible to learn how to play an RPG just from reading one."

People did it, though. In fact, the vast majority of gamer groups, if you trace them back a "generation" or more, started just this way. The number of roleplayers descended from Gary Gygax's group, while large numerically, is a drop in the ocean percentage-wise.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'm certain that's true - that some learned from these sections. I couldn't, as a kid. I didn't grasp the concept, until I'd seen it played. I'd argue that more people learned by being taught.

hmm, perhaps an interesting poll...

Shayd3000

First Post
HARP is not Rolemaster

"HARP is not Rolemaster". True. However, all of the mechanics of HARP are evolutions of Rolemaster mechanics, with some being virtually identical. You could almost say it was Rolemaster lite though I wouldn't go that far and HARP does stand on its own.

George

Ace

Adventurer
Not that long ago I bought the H.A.R.P. rpg. Since my players weren't interested in playing it I sold it. That wasn’t a great decision on my part. Happily Rasyr over at I.C.E. sent me the HARP pdf to review.

Appearance

H.A.R.P. is a black and white PDF 194 pages in length. It comes in an zip file a little over 8 megabytes and retails for $10.
The layout is decent mimicking the workmanlike layout of the print book. The grayscale cover is clean but unfortunately does not show how nice the art actually is. However I do have a fairly substantial complaint.
Iron Crown utterly forgot to take advantage of the PDF medium and left out any trace of bookmarks.
While sending a PDF that is easy on printers is a solid decision, not understanding that a lot of PDF are used while at the computer is not so good.

Contents
H.A.R.P. is a very complete game. Within its 194 pages is enough material to run several campaigns. Pretty much everything you want is here Few books other than the famed D&D Cyclopedia feel this complete.

At its roots HARP is a simple system -- d% roll to get 101 or more. A chart (called the maneuver table) shows the modifiers and allows for degrees of success

Combat will be familiar to anyone who has played MERP or Rolemaster. Roll D% and skill, subtract defense and modifiers and then, consult the cool critical chart.
The HARP system is clean and works reasonably fast.
Instead of a chart for each weapon HARP offers a chart based on damage type with a cap based on weapon size.
Simple and effective.
This is augmented by a very nice armor system in which armor is simply used as a bonus to defense. This makes piecemeal armor easy to do.
I like the combat system. It has plenty of options and is fun and decently fast.

Character generation is interesting.
The game is class/ level.
When a race is selected player can choose from Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome and Gryx which is a Half Orc without the ferocity, more or less.
Each race has a background, which is the generic race specific environment the character was raised in Urban, Rural, Sylvan or the like. The background determines certain bonus starting skills for the race.
All stats than add points to a pool called development points. These points can be used to purchase skills (which are either class or non class and have a 2/4 cost scheme) points are also used to boost stats (for later level development) and buy talents which are a mix of powers and feats.

One really neat facet of HARP is the half/quarter race system. The system allows any race top be bought with a "blood talent" this system lets you pick a main race and half another or a main race and 2 quarter races. Any combo is possible and its very balanced.

Classes in the game are Fighter, Rogue (kind of a fighty class with stealth skills) Mage, Thief, Harper (Bard basically), an Umber customizable Cleric, Ranger., Thief, Warrior Mage (rather like a Psionic Warrior) and Monk.
Classes are well designed and while a system for design is not given the math used is transparent and custom classes are a snap to build
Also present in the game is a user customizable system of training packages very similar to the one in Hero. This subs in nicely for D&D prestige classes and is simple and balanced.

The equipment and money chapter is complete enough for plenty of games and should cover most of what players want. Its workmanlike but nothing special

The adventuring chapter covers most stuff like traps and weather pretty well. I have no quibbles

The HARP magic system is amazing. Each spell is learned as a skill and the more skill you have the greater you can customize the spell. Its a little like having built in meta magic feats
Spell casting in armor is handled with a simple and clean expedient of an extra charge in power points, thus requiring a little more skill. All in all, the power level is lower than standard D&D but there is always plenty for HARP spell casters to do.

Herbs and poisons get a chapter. Its a solid selection enough for a campaign

Monsters also get a chapter. I was a little disappointed in this chapter. It covers most of the staples well enough but it was a bit sketchy in places. It was mostly just dry stat blocks. I would have liked a more lush layout and some more fae. Still the monsters are generic enough for even new players to get and the list is adequate for several campaigns

The treasure list covers most gamer basics with no problems. A tad clichéd but a solid list of what people expect

Ruleswise HARP is basically rules medium. Its lighter than Rolemaster and maybe a shade lighter in some areas than D&D. It also a bit more math intensive and chargen can take a bit longer.

HARP is lower magic and grittier than D&D. The magic and combat system lead to that
feel, so if you are looking for Exalted level antics HARP will not please you.

However it also logical and well laid out rules a superb innovative spell system and enough stuff in just the core book to play many campaigns

Highly recommended

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads