• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince-SPOILERS!!!!

Laurel said:
2) Snape is a hard one to pin point. He could still just be in on D's wishes and it's actually bad. He hates all those associated with Harry, but even if false and fool hardy I like to think Snape has good in him somehow/someplace.

I watched "Prisoner of Azkaban" last night and I was struck by the scene next to the whomping willow. When the werewolf is about to attack, Snape stands protectively in front of the three children (Ron, Harry, and Hermione). JK Rowling also says on the bonus features DVD that there are lots of little things that the director put in that are important later on. She theorized that people will think she told him to put them in, but she says that he did it on his own and she seemed really pleased that he had picked up on some very little things that were very important. I think the scene with Snape is one of those details. It looks like completely natural move on Snape's part--an instinctive spur-of-the-moment thing--not the actions of someone who wants to see Harry dead.

Laurel said:
3) I loved the relationship building, but there seemed almost too much of it. That is the one downer of this book. Till the end there are love battles going on, but not the normal action she has been putting in the first half of the books. That could just be since book 7 will be so much action, and she wanted to get in the last really good hit of these are people relate to them.

I hope you're right on that!

Kid Charlemagne said:
Posted before reading anything else in this thread:

Harry & Ginny - expected it.
Ron & Hermione - the same
Snape as the Half-blood Prince - should have seen it, didn't.
Dumbledore - oh hell, no - didn't think that would happen!

"I am pretty enough for ze both of us..." Bwahahahahaha!

Lastly - I think Harry is the last Horcrux.

I just finished the book last night. And I agree with all the above. Especially the Harry as the last horcrux. I kept thinking that's what Dumbledore was leading to when talking to Harry near the end about what might be Voldemorts horcruxes, but he didn't say it. I don't know if he just didn't want to put that burden on Harry right away, or if even he (Dumbledore) didn't even realize it yet.

I also am leaning towards Regulus as RAB, and figuring that the locket was at Black house, but that Mundungus probably unknowingly scooped it up and sold it when stealing stuff from the house.

Overall I really enjoyed it, but I am still in shock from Dumbledore. I still can't believe it and sat there crying while reading about the funeral.

I told Wizardru he'd better hurry up and read it this week, because I am not going to be able to keep quiet about it for ever. :eek:

Tolen Mar

First Post
I too just finished it. I was reading other things when it came out and my wife read it before me.

(I imagine we are about to see a new wave of speculation arise as the 'second' and 'third' round buyers finish up.)

I've also just finished reading this thread.

The first thing I thought when I finished it was that Dumbledore isnt dead. It was all a plot between him ans Snape to redeem Draco and draw out Voldemort from wherever he is hiding.

Now Im not so sure, but I really do beleive we will see something more of Dumbledore.

In regards to Harry as the 'missing' horcrux...I can see it. Even if Voldemort could sense Harry as his Horcrux. Ok, first of all, if Voldemort was there to make a Horcrux out of something in the Potter's home, anything there would have been a trophy for him. We know there were some reasons to go after James and Lilly, so lets set up to make it there and wipe them out while we are after it. Then I can take the trinket and lord over it and chuckle evilly, knowing what it meant.

Now, Voldemort dies, the horcux spell backfires, and Harry becomes the Horcrux. We know that because of Snape, Voldemort went after the Potters, and that Harry was protected by Lilly's final act. That's enough in my book to make things go in an unplanned direction. Since Voldemort knows about the prophecy, and inadvertantly marked Harry (in more ways than one), he also knows how much of a threat it would be for Harry to be left alive. Horcux or not, he wants Harry dead.

Or to look at it this way, if Harry ever found out that he was the last horcux, then Harry would know that the only way to truly defeat Voldemort would be to die. Better to wipe out this weak link early, before they start finding horcuxes, than wait until Harry is the only one left. If Harry should somehow become the last one, he has no control over what happens to his immortailty. Besides, if Voldemort deals with Harry early on, and he absolutely NEEDS another Horcrux, he has plenty of time to move on to the next person on his list.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Valanthe the Sleepless said:
I just finished the book last night. And I agree with all the above. Especially the Harry as the last horcrux. I kept thinking that's what Dumbledore was leading to when talking to Harry near the end about what might be Voldemorts horcruxes, but he didn't say it. I don't know if he just didn't want to put that burden on Harry right away, or if even he (Dumbledore) didn't even realize it yet.
I can't see Harry being the 5th Horcrux, it just seems eh. It's entirely possible, but doesn't sync. Speculation (IIRC) from Dumbledore was that Harry's death would have made the 6th and final Horcrux since he'd be really significant to kill. But the snake is the 6th. It could be wrong on many counts, but I still think it's a Ravenclaw item hidden at Hogwarts somewhere.

I also am leaning towards Regulus as RAB, and figuring that the locket was at Black house, but that Mundungus probably unknowingly scooped it up and sold it when stealing stuff from the house.
When Harry bumped into him, Mundungus was talking to Aberforth Dumbledore. It would be quite the coincidence if Albus had access to the Amulet that contributed to his death, before going there.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Tolen Mar said:
The first thing I thought when I finished it was that Dumbledore isnt dead. It was all a plot between him ans Snape to redeem Draco and draw out Voldemort from wherever he is hiding.
Will all the talk of faking death, the Phoenix imagery surrounding Albus, and the other little things, it seemed to point to him being alive. After the funeral and such though, I can't imagine it.
Besides, if Voldemort deals with Harry early on, and he absolutely NEEDS another Horcrux, he has plenty of time to move on to the next person on his list.

I'm still not sure on the 7 Soul Plan. 2 of them have been destroyed, but I think 7 is a limit, so he can't make more. The Horcrux doesn't seem to aid him directly, so it seems more like Voldemort wanted to have 1/7th of a soul, rather than wanting 6 Horcruxes.

DragonMan Ren

First Post
Hi. Found this thread due to a lark Google search, and thought I'd join the forum and throw out my own thoughts.

Dumbledore may have died, but I'm absolutely certain he'll get better. The other phoenix imagery associated with him would've been a big enough clue, but when his body spontaneously burst into flames, and Harry spotted the form of a phoenix flying from the smoke? That suggests powerful phoenix-oriented magic taking effect. What's more, the entire sixth book is riddled with hints that Dumbledore and Snape planned the death together, and made sure it happened. Dumbledore might be willing to die to prepare Harry to face Voldemort, but there's a lot of other things he could've done to help Harry before the confrontation instead. Like help him find the other Horcruxes, because it seems like Dumbledore is the only one capable of tracking them down. The death of Dumbledore cost more advantages for Harry than he's gained, unless Dumbledore is able to continue helping from behind the scenes. I believe that he'll show up at the end of the seventh book, and explain everything.

Harry's scar as a Horcux is possible, but I don't believe that it will end in Harry's death. The series atmosphere has grown a lot bleaker, but it isn't that sort of series yet. What's more, the prophecy doesn't seem to be worded to suggest that Harry must die to achieve victory. Finally, when Dumbledore found out that Voldemort had used Harry's blood to revive himself, and had thus gained the protection that had saved Harry as a baby for himself, Dumbledore's eyes lit up for a moment. We never did find out what that was about. I suspect that it means that Voldemort has tied himself to Harry in such a way that will make him far easier and less costly to defeat.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I don't think Harry will die, but I think there's a good chance his magical strength is diminished once Voldemort is dead.

And welcome to the forums!

Chain Lightning

First Post
DragonMan Ren said:
Hi. Found this thread due to a lark Google search, and thought I'd join the forum and throw out my own thoughts.

Dumbledore may have died, but I'm absolutely certain he'll get better. The other phoenix imagery associated with him would've been a big enough clue, but when his body spontaneously burst into flames, and Harry spotted the form of a phoenix flying from the smoke? That suggests powerful phoenix-oriented magic taking effect. What's more, the entire sixth book is riddled with hints that Dumbledore and Snape planned the death together, and made sure it happened. Dumbledore might be willing to die to prepare Harry to face Voldemort, but there's a lot of other things he could've done to help Harry before the confrontation instead. Like help him find the other Horcruxes, because it seems like Dumbledore is the only one capable of tracking them down. The death of Dumbledore cost more advantages for Harry than he's gained, unless Dumbledore is able to continue helping from behind the scenes. I believe that he'll show up at the end of the seventh book, and explain everything..

That theory totally makes sense. In fact, now that you mention it, I'm going with it too. It would be very Rowling-esque to do it that way. Plus, as people pointed out, our boy died too easily . . .

... plus, it explains why Dumbledore froze Harry. Or else he would've stopped his and Snape's fake out plan from being performed. It makes sense. Plus, if I was DM, I'd throw something like this at the players too. ;)

DragonMan Ren

First Post
Chain Lightning said:
That theory totally makes sense. In fact, now that you mention it, I'm going with it too. It would be very Rowling-esque to do it that way. Plus, as people pointed out, our boy died too easily . . .

... plus, it explains why Dumbledore froze Harry. Or else he would've stopped his and Snape's fake out plan from being performed. It makes sense. Plus, if I was DM, I'd throw something like this at the players too. ;)

No doubt. I've been debating this point privately for about a week. The Unbreakable Vow technically just binds Snape to protect Malfoy, and if he can't do it, kill Dumbledore - which he's done, making his cover with the Death Eaters ironclad. Technically, he's done exactly that. However, even if it wasn't part of Dumbledore's long-term plans already, it would certainly appear to fit now. And yes, if you look at the subtleties, Dumbledore clearly went to great lengths to ensure that the assassination took place. :D

Kid Charlemange said:
I don't think Harry will die, but I think there's a good chance his magical strength is diminished once Voldemort is dead.

And welcome to the forums!

Thanks!

I think there's just as good a chance that his power will increase, personally. Voldemort polluted his essence with the magic of Lily Potter's sacrifice. I could imagine that, in the end, destroying all the things that make Voldemort wicked, bad, and naughty. Conversely, Harry is contaminated with a part of Voldemort's own soul. The prophecy... The part where "neither can live while the other survives"? I think it implies that the victor will subsume the essence of the other, and gain power - Voldemort will succeed at corrupting Harry's essence with his own, or Harry will purify Voldemort out of existance, and one will have the power of both. In the end, I'm seeing Harry lining up to be the successor of Dumbledore - when Dumbledore really needs one. ;)

EDIT: As an aside, if my idea is anywhere near the metaphorical zip code of the truth, it is absolutely crucial that no one inside the setting knows that, at this point. :D

EDIT the Second: How cool would this be? Harry manages to triumph over Voldemort, however it happens. Then, as the mess is being cleaned up, the very last person to be cornered is Snape. Harry's working himself up to kill him for what he did to Dumbledore... When he's stopped, by none other than Dumbledore!

Last edited:

Remove ads