• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has 4e changed the way you play D&D? Forked Thread: Discussing 4e Subsystems: POWERS!

Has 4th Edition Changed the Way You Play?

• Yes

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Panda

Votes: 15 25.9%

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
That's it, if the DM is doing the same thing whatever I try, why bother trying new things?

I see the new things as their own reward, to an extent.

You can get the same mechanical effect out of saying "I charge for +2 and hit the Guard with my sword" and "I step up on the table and leap to grab the chandelier, swinging over the Cardinal's Guard and slashing at his face on the way past with my rapier... can I call that a charge?"

Both are mechanically resolved the same way. The chandelier doesn't grant a mechanical bonus that I couldn't get by saying "I charge". Does that mean that the chandelier is pointless?

Mechanically, sure. But the game is more than the mechanics.

-Hyp.

buzz

Adventurer
My vote: Yes. We are fitting more encounters into each session, and having more fun overall.

Granted, I don't know if we have changed how we play so much as find 4e to be fitting how we tend to play much better than 3.5.

buzz

Adventurer
I don't see how or why you would need to change your overall way of playing any game because of another.
Being exposed to games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Iron Heroes, and Burning Wheel changed the way I looked at gaming overall. I subsequently approached D&D and (at the time) HERO differently than I had before that.

It's not about need.

rkwoodard

First Post
whatever works

Being exposed to games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Iron Heroes, and Burning Wheel changed the way I looked at gaming overall. I subsequently approached D&D and (at the time) HERO differently than I had before that.

It's not about need.

Exactly. It is about what makes me a better DM. Whatever I can expose myself too that will open my brain to say "HEY TRY THIS" or make me ask myself "CAN I GET THIS FEEL IN MY 3.x GAME?" is a good thing.

RK

Wormwood

Adventurer
My vote: Yes. We are fitting more encounters into each session, and having more fun overall.

1. This.

2. I'm much more open to player creativity than I was in 3e. Reminds me of the wacky things we tried back in BECMI.

3. On a personal note, I spend *much* mess time tinkering with game prep (as both a player and a DM) than I have in years.

Gort

Explorer
I must say, being able to just pick stuff out of the monster manual and throw it at my party works wonders for prep time as a DM. I can spend a lot more time on storylines and stuff, instead of having to assign 18 feats for my new skum fighter NPC who won't last two seconds in melee with the party.

smdmcl

First Post
No, 4th edition has not changed the way I play.

I explore, talk with NPC's, solve riddles and puzzles, fall victim to traps and hazards, help those who need it, punish those who deserve it, put the boots all forms of evil and get the boots put to me if I bite off more than I can chew. Oh, and let's not forget about taking their stuff.

The one thing changed by 4th edition is that I have started DMing again. I haven't done that in years.

Remove ads