D&D 2E has anyone converted the Observer (beholderkin) from Planescape 2e?

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

I have begun trying to convert the 2e Planescape creature, the Observer, an extraplanar beholder, and I wanted to check to see if someone has converted that already. I'm still retooling spellcasting levels, and have not yet converted its psionic abilities.

- Devon

Devon

First Post
blast...

Blast...

Mind if I pick your brain, then?

Did you keep the ability scores pretty much the same as a normal beholder, or did you make it smarter/wiser/slower/etc.?

I made it an outsider and gave it the same skills as a beholder, as well as KS: The Planes. It had enough skill points to max out each of these skills.

How did you handle the psionics conversion?

- Devon

qstor

Adventurer
I don't have the 3e Psionics handbook but I would try and match the 2nd edition abilities to the 3e abilities as close as possible. Try and go for an extact match.
Just my 2 cents...
Mike

Gish Makai

First Post
Re: blast...

Devon said:
Blast...

Mind if I pick your brain, then?

Did you keep the ability scores pretty much the same as a normal beholder, or did you make it smarter/wiser/slower/etc.?

I made it an outsider and gave it the same skills as a beholder, as well as KS: The Planes. It had enough skill points to max out each of these skills.

How did you handle the psionics conversion?

- Devon
I tried to keep to the same abilities as I could. Those that didn't match I used something fairly similar or that worked in that kind of way.

I most likely stuck to the same ability scores as the beholder....can't remember exactly as I converted it some time ago.

Gish Makai

First Post
Krishnath said:
Ooh, I'm very interrested in those stats as well. Gimme, gimme, gimme... :D
Beholder-kin, Psionic
Medium-size Aberration

HD: 11d8+11 (60 hp)
Initiative: +4 (+4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Fly 10 ft (good)
AC: 13 (+3 Natural Armor)
Attacks: 1 Eye Rays +8 (ranged touch)
Damage: 0
Face/Reach: 5 ft x 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Psionics, Eye Rays
Special Qualities: All-around vision, Psionics, Anti-magic ray, Anti-psionics ray, SR 19, Fly
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +11
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 15, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +9, Knowledge, Arcana +10, Move Silently +14, Search +21, Spot +18
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Flyby Attack

Climate/Terrain: Outlands
Organization: Solitary
CR: 10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Lawful Evil (Always)
Advancement Range: 12-22 HD (Medium-size), 23-33 HD (Large)

In appearance, it bears a resemblance both to Gzemnid and Ilsensine. A large brain-like mass floats above the ground, a pale shade of almost-glowing green. It lacks the toothy maw and characteristic central eye of beholders, but instead bears two eyes on thick eyestalks. Each of these eyestalks holds an eye in a mass of nerves. Ten tendrils rise from the cleft between the two halves of the main brain, like body with glistening lumpy ganglia at their ends. The psionic beholder can communicate telepathically with any intelligent being.

COMBAT
The two main eyes each serve to protect the beholder; the left produces an anti-magic ray with a 140-yard range that covers a 45° angle, while the right eye produces an anti-psionic ray with a similar range and arc. Each eye can swing on its stalk to point anywhere in a 180° arc in front of the creature, including straight up.

Psionics (Sp): The psionic beholder has the psionic powers of an 11th level Psion.

Eye Rays (Su): Each of these ten small eyes can produce a psionic ray once a round, even when the beholder is attacking or moving at full speed. Each eye resembles a spell cast by a 11th level Psion but follows the rules for a ray. All rays have a range of150 feet and a DC save of 18.
Domination: The victim must make a Will save or be affected as though by the psionic power.
Inflict Pain: The victim must make a Will save or suffer 3d6 points of damage from a stabbing pain to the mind.
Invisibility: The creature or object touched can make a Will save to vanish from sight. Items dropped or put down will become visible.
Telekinesis: The victim must make a Will save or be thrown back as a violent thrust. See the psionic power for more information.
Control Body: Victims must make Fortitude save or be affected by the psionic power of the same name.
Disintegrate: Victims must make a Fortitude save or vanish. If a save is made then 5d6 damage is taken.
Concussion: Victims must make a Fortitude save or be pummeled with a kinetic force dealing 3d6 damage. Save is half.
Inertial Barrier: The beholder creates a barrier around itself to protect itself from damage.
Whitefire: Victim must make a Reflex save or suffer 5d4 fire damage. Save for half.
Mindwipe: Victim makes a Fortitude save or their mind becomes a blank. See the psionic power for more information.

Anti-magic Ray (Su): The beholder's left eyestalk can focus a continual ray in 150 feet in all directions. All magical and supernatural powers and effects within the ray are suppressed - even the beholder's eye rays.

Anti-psionic Ray (Su): The beholder's right eyestalk can focus a continual ray in 150 feet in all directions. All psionic abilities are suppressed - even the beholder's eye rays.

Fly (Ex): The beholder's body is naturally buoyant. This buoyancy allows it to fly as the spell, as a free action, at a speed of 10 feet. This buoyancy also grants it a permanent feather fall effect with a personal range.

All Around Vision (Ex): Beholders are exceptionally alert and circumspect. Their many eyestalks give them a +4 racial bonus to Spot and Search checks, and they can't be flanked.

Devon

First Post
a nice beholderkin

Hi, Gish,

Thank you for posting the psionic beholder. It is a great beholderkin (and sounds pretty gnarly) but it's not the Observer from Planescape 2e.

The observer had 6 eyestalks, three larger eyes arranged radially, and three telescoping mouths which drained blood. The Observor also had no anti-magic or anti-psionic rays.

So it appears that I can continue to convert the Observor without seriously duplicating effort.

Thank you again,

- Devon

Remove ads