• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Has anyone else brought in books from older editions to 5E?

Herr der Qual

First Post
So, I'm planning on starting a new campaign in 5E and I'm planning on bringing in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue from 2E FR, with some major edits to match the system change because it's just such a fun resource with great items that aren't game changers but are really fun and handy. Also bringing in Demihuman Deities to flesh out the options for the players who want racial gods. I'm also thinking about bringing in some stuff from PF and 3.5 but I'm really not sure how much I want to drag in from older/other systems as I really love 5E, I definitely don't want to change the landscape just want to bring in some flavor. Just wondering if others have/are doing this or if they are just sticking to the books and homebrewing additional equip/monsters/gods, etc?

S

Sunseeker

Sort of? I haven't brought in anything in whole, even in editions where things are similar it's clearly not compatible. I have however used non-5th books for reference material and based several off-the-cuff conversions on things I found that I wanted to use in 5th. Mostly races and monsters. Beyond that, I just make stuff up.

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
i ran a bit of the old school undermountain during the playtest and it was like 5e was meant for it. as for things that are slightly more mechanical like player options, i'd suggest trying the game out vanilla for a while to get an idea of what you'd really like to add in. that way you don't make any hasty decisions that will run your new campaign off the rails before it's even started.

DaveDash

Explorer
City of the Spider Queen and Red Hand of Doom.

I'm also using the 3rd Edition SRD to fill in a lot of traps, diseases, and such.

Herr der Qual

First Post
i ran a bit of the old school undermountain during the playtest and it was like 5e was meant for it. as for things that are slightly more mechanical like player options, i'd suggest trying the game out vanilla for a while to get an idea of what you'd really like to add in. that way you don't make any hasty decisions that will run your new campaign off the rails before it's even started.

That's why the only two I'm certain of adding right now, are Aurora's Whole Realms and Demihuman Deities. Nothing really in there to affect mechanics (some items give bonuses, like the Silk Sneaking Suit which in AD&D gave a +4% to Move Silently, now if the character can find a place to buy it) will give a +1 to stealth, nothing major just a fun item, the rest of it, is like a backpack harness that moves your encumbrance down one level, so a Heavy load becomes medium, medium becomes light. Just handy stuff because I do play the encumbrance rules, and every rogue should have a fancy sneaking suit for special occasions.

Last edited:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
So, I'm planning on starting a new campaign in 5E and I'm planning on bringing in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue from 2E FR, with some major edits to match the system change because it's just such a fun resource with great items that aren't game changers but are really fun and handy. Also bringing in Demihuman Deities to flesh out the options for the players who want racial gods. I'm also thinking about bringing in some stuff from PF and 3.5 but I'm really not sure how much I want to drag in from older/other systems as I really love 5E, I definitely don't want to change the landscape just want to bring in some flavor. Just wondering if others have/are doing this or if they are just sticking to the books and homebrewing additional equip/monsters/gods, etc?
I'm porting over a few FR campaign books from 3.5. Namely:
FRCG
Silver Marches
Shining South
FR Deities
FR Players HB

Al Qadim box set pdf
Lands of Intrigue box pdf
Draconomicon
Book of Vile Darkness

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I had to drop some XP on the OP for bringing in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. That has to be one of my favorite non-crunch books. If I get to run a 5e campaign, it will definitely be included.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I converted a ton of races from the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, plus I'm going to use both OD&D, Universal, and 3e Judges Guild products.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads