• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone else read the 1st Eberron Novel?

Mad Mac

First Post
Ok, I realize the book was just recently, (prematurely, even) released, but surely someone else has picked it up?

I won't go into spoilers for something so new, but I will say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a feedback card stuck in the middle, which is annoying, but the cover art is nice. It also comes with an appendix that gives a quick summary of the Eberron world, and an almost obscenely extensive glossary.

The story succeeds in creating a gritty, noir feel, but they're isn't a lot of swashbuckling action in this first book. Fighting tends to be quick, dirty, and desperate. The second and third books are scheduled for December 2005 and 2006, respectively. The first book doesn't end in any sort of cliffhanger, fortunately. ;)

Overall, I think the novel is not only enjoyable, but an excellent introduction to the setting for new players. Moreso than the CSB, considering the huge price difference and lack of "DM information" scattered about haphazardly.

Good Work Hellcow! :D

Mad Mac

First Post
Heh, yeah. :)

Someone posted over in the Wizards boards that it was at their local store a few days ago. He thought it was a fluke, but a few other people have got theirs, and I scooped up a copy at a Borders yesterday. I'd imagine it's out all over now.

crazyjose

First Post
I couldn't find it at local shops and one bookstore before work. I hope to get this sunday as I got a wedding to attend this Sat :\

Zulithe

Explorer
wow I had no idea it was out!!! It was supposed to be released in February I believe ...

Anyone other than me think that WotC should add a Fiction forum at their boards, considering how many fiction books they release (look at the list of ALL (non-card) products they released in 2004, almost HALF are books of fiction!)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Zulithe said:
Anyone other than me think that WotC should add a Fiction forum at their boards, considering how many fiction books they release...
They did. For a long time they had individual forums for each of their novel lines that resided under their respective games forums.

Then all of those forums were removed.

Now their policy is that all novel related discussions are under a ban unless they directly relate to a gaming topic.

Information about why this came to be seems to be under a ban as well (altough it's been hinted that some things said by certain individuals to certain authors might be part of the reason).

IronWolf

blank
jonesy said:
Information about why this came to be seems to be under a ban as well (altough it's been hinted that some things said by certain individuals to certain authors might be part of the reason).

That's what the bulk of the rumors were at the time they removed that section of the boards. I think many threads were becoming more of an attack on the authors than mature discussion. For those that like the Realms line of novels, http://www.candlekeep.com is a great place for discussion of the novels.

crazyjose

First Post
Just got it and FR Extinction. I was actulally going next week to see if Febuary books were releaseed. Thanks for the info and the FR link.
Excuss me while I enjoy these. :D

Remove ads