• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone ever played "themself" in a game of any sort?

Richards

Legend
I sort of did this when I was in high school. I was running a Gamma World (1st Edition) game, and the PCs were running up against a mutated humanoid band of Archivists who worshiped mechanical relics from the Old Times as gods. I always had fun playing around with mutants in that game, so I drew up a quick sketch of each Archivist to show th eplayers what they were up against. When I came to the leader, I figured "What the heck" and drew him up as myself, trademark long hair (at the time) and bathrobe and all. Of course, I don't really have eyestalks like the Archivist Leader did, but it was a close facsimile nonetheless.

The PCs had a great time killing me off, by the way. :)

Johnathan

rpgHQ

First Post
Lke AFGNCAAP when TORG first came out our group tried statting ourselves for it. And I agree the premise of the game was good and all but the game system itself was akward. I think we did play it for a whole summer though.

Another time we used a hybrid boothill, gamma world (cant remember if it was 1st ed or 2nd ed gamma world), and ad&d rules system and the campaign was based off the World of Tiers series of novels, this game did better becuase though we started out as ourselves the characters eventually evolved stat-wise, via tech and body-transfer and such and using a tweaked mutations system and it was more like what you expect of a rpg. I think we did that one for a year and a half, having a game session almost every weekend. Cant remember why we stopped, I think maybe the group broke up becuase of a few people moving.

The biggest issue with both the failed TORG game and the hybrid game was assigning the STATS. Everybody saw each other differently than they saw themselves and noone could really agree on what the ability scores and such should be. I dont remember what the DM did to resolve it in the TORG game, I cant even remember the rule system for it anymore but I was the DM for the hybrid game based on World Of Tiers books and I ended up having everyone assigning the stats for each other and themselves and went with the combined average for the scores on each player. Think a few people had issue with that, but once we got going with the game and we progressed our characters past the 'real' persons abilities no one complained anymore.

Last edited:

mac1504

Explorer
I ran a very short lived Top Secret game while I was in the Army. All of the player's had to play themselves and only had access to what they had around them or in their personal possession. We started the campaign with an illumanati-type organization taking over the U.S. and imposing martial law against the citizens (lots of conspiracy theory stuff) and the players all began play at their current location.

The most interesting part was everyone agreeing to the stats other player's were putting down for themselves!

Call of C.

We didn't last long :)

Still, it a was a fun and different way to use up a sunday night instead of doing term papers in college.

Grand_Director

Explorer
The first real campaign that I ran was a Marvel game. About 80% of the players made idealized versions of themselves. Later on, a buddy of mine tried to run a GURPS game where we all made versions of ourselves in the most realistic way possible. It turned out to be a horror/illuminati hybrid and was good for a laugh. That lasted about 12 sessions. Nothing since.

Remove ads