• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone ever tried to 'save' you from D&D?

Have you ever had someone make a serious effort to 'save' you from D&D?

• Yes. They thought it was too sedentary and tried to get me involved in sports.

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • Yes. They thought I had too few friends and tried to get me into social mixing.

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • Yes. They thought my D&D friends were geeky and wanted me to meet a jockier/more popular class of id

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Yes. They thought D&D was a religious or moral hazard or suicide risk.

Votes: 104 34.2%
  • No. That never happened to me.

Votes: 175 57.6%

• Poll closed .

Agemegos

Explorer
With all the stories I read on this board about the strange opinions of RPGs that that madwoman in BADD stirred up in the Eighties and how they still persist among some less open bodies of opinion, I wondered what proportion of the posters to this board have ever had friends, relatives, or well-meaning strangers try to rescue them from D&D.

[edited to add] Notice "you" in the question. Notice "me" in the answers. Please do not answer a different question that you think I ought to have asked. Tell me about whether this ever happened to you.

Last edited:

Never me personally, but my best friend always had to game with us in secret because his mom was afraid he was going to get into devil worship and go get lost in some tunnels somewhere.

WillieW

First Post
Myrddin ap Taliesen said:
Never me personally, but my best friend always had to game with us in secret because his mom was afraid he was going to get into devil worship and go get lost in some tunnels somewhere.

Har! Har! Har!

Zappo

Explorer
Nope. For the first three issues, parents are mostly concerned with videogames. As for the last... I've heard the stories on the 'net, even first person stories, but I've never met anyone who knew anyone who had this kind of problem. I still see it as rather weird.

tm80401

First Post
I am actually waiting for my father-in-law to try this.

He is a Baptist minister and seems to think that D&D, and seemingly most other things, is demonic

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Fellow worker found out I gamed (worked on modules at lunch) and decided to try to save me, it was harassment! Would find religous bookets and flyers on my desk, stuff like that.

nsruf

First Post
Well, Steve Jackson saved me from playing AD&D 2nd Ed. by publising GURPS, but that's probably not what you meant...:p

So the answer for me is "no".

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I checked the religious choice. If in your poll you mean a seruious effort as in "non-joking" then yes. If by serious you mean tried really hard, then not so much. Two friends of ours spoke with my wife and I one night expressing concern about D&D and how it could affect our souls. We took some time explaining the game, putting down some of the exaggerated stories out there and assuring them that there really is nothing to fear from the game itself. Those rare few who have had problems because of the game, we peolpe who likely were going to have problems anyway, and D&D just became an outlet. Without D&D they would probably have found something else instead. It seemed to work after the one discussion as it has not come up again...Of course that could be because after dinner we went home, performed some rituals, sacrificed some goats, summoned a demon and made them forget their concerns :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads