• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone played Invokers?

-Avalon-

First Post
I can barely get through the internet's D&D sites without seeing builds and play experiences with all sorts of other classes (rangers, rogues, avengers, clerics, warlords, etc etc) But I never see anything about Invokers...

Are there any people out there who have experience playing Invokers? If so, how were they? Any tips/tricks/suggestions you may have about them? They seem pretty cool, and I think a decent build would be to focus on lightning/thunder using mark of storms, lightning arc, Resounding Thunder, etc

Any other ideas or anything? Let's discuss Invokers some (since no one else does from what I've seen)

fba827

Adventurer
I know I am in the minority, but Invokers are probably my favorite class (note I am more of a 'story' player rather than worried about stats/damage output/etc, so that may be a factor in my preference.).

I've only gotten to play it twice, once as a deva invoker at 1st level, and a second time as a human invoker at 1st level. In both cases I went for the preserving invoker build and choices based on radiant attacks (it just suits my style; though the wrath invoker build does have a lot of potential itself it just plays different)

In both of my experiences, I had fun ... and that's what mattered :D

The preserving invoker seems to play a lot like a wizard (similar defenses and to hit bonuses) with a tad of cleric for protecting allies. So if you already have a wizard in the party, you'll feel fairly redundant.

The wrath invoker seems like it would play similar to a sorcerer but much less damage per target though more targets per hit (i.e. more area effects) so you wouldn't feel redundant even if there was also a sorcerer because you're doing it differently.

I haven't even read the new invoker build in DP so I don't know what to make of that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am curious too... I just recently realized how nicely it skins as a witch (snag moon goddess and alchemy and ritual magic and run with it) ... and I am itching to try it in play (... now to see if I can get one of the other players to DM it.)

Not sure I quite get the armor proficiency up to chain mail... would almost rather have some sort of avenger like armor of faith or sword mage off hand divine shield.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I played a pre-gen mid-heroic level Invoker at a convention game. It was a wrathful invoker, and the scenario really didn't much call for a controller - there just weren't combat encounters invoving a large number of foes. So, I couldn't form much of an impression. AEs weren't quite as big as a wizard's, in general, and the dailies not as encounter-changing, but every power has at least a token nod to the condition-inflicting concept of control - and he was tougher than a wizard.

mneme

Explorer
Not sure I quite get the armor proficiency up to chain mail... would almost rather have some sort of avenger like armor of faith or sword mage off hand divine shield.

You need to look at the game design here.

Cloth is what you get when you suck at AC (unless you're really good at AC because you get a bonus on top of cloth) and have Int/Dex
Leather is what you get if you're ok at AC and have Int/Dex
Hide is what you get if you're good at AC and have Int/Dex
Chain is what you get if you're ok at AC and -don't- have Int/Dex
Scale is what you get if you're good at AC and don't have Int/Dex
Plate is what you get if you're really good at AC (and don't have Int/Dex).

The only classes that break this rule (that classes that might not have Int or Dex high always have access to heavy armor) are Infernal warlocks and protective shamans. And frankly, both are a bit problematic -- they pretty much need to buy chain proficiency at some level or they're going to be auto-hit at high levels and the defenders won't be able to protect them (kinda like 3rd edition). Of course, there are also the PH2 "use Str/Wis as Int/Dex for AC when wearing light armor" classes -- but that's a way for Wizards to deal with the problems they had in ph1 with warlocks.

So all "chain proficiency" means here is that an Invoker might not have a high Int/Dex

boolean

Explorer
The only classes that break this rule (that classes that might not have Int or Dex high always have access to heavy armor) are Infernal warlocks and protective shamans.

Correction. I believe you mean Star Pact Warlocks. Infernal (and every other pact except Star) have Int as a secondary score for many of their powers, so they should have it faily high anyway. Star Pact warlocks need Con and Cha as primary stats, so don't have much left for Int.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Correction. I believe you mean Star Pact Warlocks. Infernal (and every other pact except Star) have Int as a secondary score for many of their powers, so they should have it faily high anyway. Star Pact warlocks need Con and Cha as primary stats, so don't have much left for Int.
Star Pact warlocks can do fine choosing one of Cha or Con. They're not required to take powers from both. (Except for Dire Radiance, that's required.)

Cheers, -- N

fba827

Adventurer
So all "chain proficiency" means here is that an Invoker might not have a high Int/Dex

I would think that it pretty much boils down to ...

Preserving invokers = hide armor (with bonus from Int since it's their secondary stat)
Wrathful Invokers = Chain armor (since Con is their secondary stat)

Of course, this gets a little annoying when picking out magic armors since most (not all, but most) magic armors that are made specifically to enhance a class feature are done to armor types that are the 'highest' of the default armor bonuses. Thus the armor enhancements made specifically to augment invoker class powers (at least the few examples I found) were specifically delineated as chain armor enhancements.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would think that it pretty much boils down to ...

Preserving invokers = hide armor (with bonus from Int since it's their secondary stat)
Wrathful Invokers = Chain armor (since Con is their secondary stat)
So Gandalf is wearing hide.. instead of armor of faith under those robes these days ;-)

It makes me want to give my Wrathful Invoker scale.. chain is feh, unless you gets something special for not taking it... And make her in to a War Witch.

Remove ads