• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has anyone tried a Favored Soul/Sorcerer Mystic Theurge build?

Felon

First Post
True, the character has to take four levels of each whereas the wiz/clrc only has to take three each. But the even greater problem here is that the Favored Soul does not have Knowledge (religion) as a class skill.

That means not only expending double skill points, but an increased maximum as well. Suckage. I suspect the questionable design decision to take KS (r) from the FS must be a sticky point for others as well. Has anyone figured out some good workarounds?

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Mystic 4/sorcerer 4/mystic theurge X is a fairly doable character in Dragonlance (the mystic is the spontaneous divine caster from the DLCS), and I included at least one of those as an NPC in my most recent DL adventure, Price of Courage.

If you took the Education feat (from FR and other sources), you could have all Knowledge skills be class skills and get a +2 bonus on two of them, which would probably fix a lot of your problems.

Cheers,
Cam

Quartz

Hero
Is KS:R an appropriate prerequisite for such a build in the first place? You might suggest a suitable alternative to the DM.

moritheil

First Post
I suggest the hotly debated Sorc 1/FS 4, using Precocious Apprentice to qualify. ;)

With regard to skills, there's always Able Learner if human. (That won't work for Sorc 1/FS 4, but it certainly will for Sorc 4/FS 4.)

Thanee

First Post
Felon said:
Has anyone figured out some good workarounds?

Make Knowledge (religion) a class skill for favored souls. ;)

But really, a character that begins casting 3rd level spells at 10th level (and can't really do anything else) just won't work out well.

Bye
Thanee

Ranger5

First Post
I did it but started the character out with 2 levels of rogue and eventually took Practised Spellcaster twice - one for FS and one for Sor. Ended up working out pretty well since I was able to get Evasion. ;)

Kurashu

First Post
My group has ruled that a Favored Soul has Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill. It just makes sense to us. I think allowing secondary casters (rangers/paladins) spontaneous casting is open for the next campaign.

Then again, you could just go gestalt sorc/fs. But if that was an option, we wouldn't be having this discussion. =P

pawsplay

Hero
It looks like Favored Soul 4/Sorcerer 3/ prestige class 1 will work, where the prestige class is Mage of the Arcane Order, Mindbender, Wild Mage, or possibly others.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
If you used my house rules for multiclassing, then it wouldn't be a problem because Mystic Theurges no longer exist! ;) (Sorry, I'm just being silly. I just wanted to reply and couldn't think of anything productive to say.)

Drowbane

First Post
Felon said:
True, the character has to take four levels of each whereas the wiz/clrc only has to take three each. But the even greater problem here is that the Favored Soul does not have Knowledge (religion) as a class skill.

That means not only expending double skill points, but an increased maximum as well. Suckage. I suspect the questionable design decision to take KS (r) from the FS must be a sticky point for others as well. Has anyone figured out some good workarounds?

I think Shugenja / Sorc would make a more viable Mystic theurge... however its Wiz / Cle for the win. :p

Remove ads