• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Has anyone tried to adapt the funky Star Wars dice system to 5E yet?

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Played this new(ish) Star Wars: Force and Destiny(?) TTRPG last Saturday and instantly fell head over heels for the dice mechanics! First thought was how do I bring this to my D&D table?? Anybody??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess you just run Star Wars but with a D&D setting instead of a Star Wars setting. Just change the fluff text.

JeffB

Legend
I have run some Fantasy using one of the FFGSW conversions out there.

Keep in mind that running a typical D&D adventure will be a slog with all the "balanced" combats, typical gameplay styles, and class ability and magic assumptions. FFGSW works best with open ended scenes and plots (dice system works against typical pass/fail assumptions), high percentage of "minion" encounters, and plenty of improv/going off the rails with regard to plot and narrative.

IOW- enjoy each system for what it is. Dungeon World is a better match for simulating a D&D like fantasy with a narrative focused dice mechanic.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I guess you just run Star Wars but with a D&D setting instead of a Star Wars setting. Just change the fluff text.

Not sure it's quite that simple?

I'd say the biggest obstacle is adapting monster stat blocks. Star Wars is very monster light and D&D is very monster heavy.

Star Wars PCs are quite squishy at all levels and D&D monsters assume that high level PCs can take a lot of damage before dying.

I would say to the OP - what specifically did you enjoy with the dice mechanic? It would be fairly trivial to adapt D&D skill checks to the Star Wars dice:

Stat Bonus = number of green dice
Proficiency = number of yellow dice upgrades.

Difficulty maps pretty easily and of course you can add setbacks as you like.

But I think the OP will have to keep D&D combat resolution as in the original rules have it or their brain will leak out of their ears! :p

Zippee

First Post
I don't think the SW dice would work well for a typical D&D game - at least not for combat. I could see them working well for all non-combat resolution but unless you change the game style heavily you're going to end up with an unfun game I think.

I also think the system doesn't work well for D&D players, sounds pejorative but I've found that players based in a D20 skill set, roll against A/DC don't perform well when offered advantages and threats and asked to describe how their action succeeded but generated threats or failed but with advantage - and ultimately it falls back on the GM to do all the legwork while they sit there waiting to be spoonfed XP (it's a mindset thing, if they have backgrounds in other games it translates better)

Remove ads