• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has Enworld made you better?

Nyaricus

First Post
EN World has, in all honesty, honed my DMing and gaming skills to something better than I could have ever imagined. I've broadened my (as I now realise) jaded veiw of medieval fantasy and it's peers and made me more aware of many, many things I didn't realise before. I know about Conan, I know about Vance, I know about Great Cthulhu Himself. I've refined my house rules list to something pretty awesome, IM(NS)HO. I've gained experience from all the great tales and tactics and tips form all the other DMs around here, and learned what to avoid like a wildfire from the horror stories I've read (and sometimes even shared :p).

All-in-all, I've not only become a better DM, but made some real friends here to boot. There are some here which I plan to, come next year if I'm lucky at all, will be able to meet with and game with in person for the first time, which I think is awesome :cool:

EN World: Thank you!

cheers,
--N

Gundark

Explorer
Well when I first started DMing again with 3rd ed. it was "I'm the best DM, my stories/adventures are soooo interesting". Playing the game was all about me and my enjoyment. Now my goal as the DM is to help the others in the game have fun, that means changing my style to match what players at the table want. I've come to realise that it's not MY game but OUR (me & the people I play with) game. I come up with the basic idea and what's going on but the story is crafted by all at the table.

In short I'm a lot less elitist....I know this sounds a bit off, but I hate it when DMs refer to the people at the table as "my players", like they own them or something. Now part of what I mentioned above is due to just gaining XP with the game and XP with my group, but a big chunk of that I gained from you people. Also from reading "worst player/DM" threads and have some of it seem painfully familair.

I guess I'm saying "Hey thanks"

Crothian said:
Hell ya!! Not only has it made me better but my gaming groups wouldn't exist without it. So, am a better gamer as well as actually gaming because of it.
Of course Enworld helps, with all aspects of gaming.

Crothian in particular has me looking at the game in a whole different way to when I started, in particular with the fact that he apparently lets his players choose their ability scores.

(If you can do that, you can do anything; my group aren't quite there yet - we still have one hold out who would choose all 18s given the chance, which would annoy the rest of them.)

Sidekick

First Post
ENworld has definitely (as in ‘it most certainly has’) had a positive impact on my DMing and general D&D-fu.

I’ve learnt a lot about how to cater to different gaming styles, the various issues of juggling the job behind the screen and also how to ensure that my fun is reflective of the rest of the groups.

That and you guys actually help me. Lord knows the dross I typically get as a response over at WotC isn’t up to the standard I get here. -> I actually use advice and hooks that get offered from Enworld.

Thanks muchly people. When I get my back-pay I might even become a community member too ;)

I do probably spend too much time here (not reflected by my post count I know) when I should be working but het – I’ma public servant in England. If I can’t get away with it here then where can I????!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am definitely a better gamer because of ENWorld. This is my first stop for rules questions. I know someone will always pipe up with a rules reference in no more than 15 minutes, almost regardless of the time of day. So whenever I need one, I always post here first. Plus, it helps keep me sharp during the week while I am between games.

Ant

First Post
I've found a lot of invaluable tips, resources and advice here at Enworld. It's the only website that I support financially.

The_Gneech

Explorer
It's exposed me to widely differing gaming styles, lots of new ideas, and all sorts of useful resources. It's also helped me hone my BS-detector when it comes to gaming material, how rules work individually and as a body, and how different players react to that.

Yeah, I'd say ENWorld has been a big help!

-TG :cool:

Remove ads