• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has one of the people in your campaign ever died in real life?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Personally, I've never had that happen. I do however wish to express my sincere condolences to you and your friends over the loss of your friend. I am so sorry for your loss.

Evilusion

First Post
We had 2 DM's in our small group. My friend and I. After being out of work for almost year and nothing in site my friend just left. He finished his current campaign with us and said goodbye. None of us expected the call that he was found in a different state and had commited suicide.

The sad fact is I still think he is going to show for our weekly game. It has been odd not having him around as a player or a DM.

Evilusion

mac1504

Explorer
One of my very best friends, who I had grown up with and had served in the Army together, started a 3rd edition D&D game in the summer of that edition's release. Sadly we only got to play for a year before he passed away. I was out of town that weekend, and was delivered the news the morning his roommate found his body.

Our group fell apart after that, and we never played D&D together again. A few months had passed that year, and I went online to find a new group. I've now been playing with that group for nearly 9 years. I've made new friends, and have had a lot of great gaming sessions.

Khazan

First Post
My experience with this subject is a bit different:

I joined an established group that had been playing together for easily 20 years...roughly since they were all in high school (we're all in our mid 30's now). I learned that their friend had passed away when they were all in their early20's, long before i knew any of them.

The interesting part is that this young man was an incredibly talented miniatures painter, and was unbelievably prolific. When I first joined their campaign and was shown the boxes and shelves of miniatures available for use, I was astounded; miniatures from so many varied sources and all painted with a ridiculously high level of detail and care.

So what I find to be so very nice is that these people, now all my friends, still use these miniatures in their gaming as a kind of tribute to their friend - every time one is brought down from the shelf or out of a box and placed as an NPC or tentacled beast to battle, they all smile and remember the guy that painted it, and it really shows how people can live on through their kind deeds and actions and talents.

:)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No, no deaths in my groups so far, but I've been around my share of in-group tragedy nonetheless.

One player in our group was active in 2 campaigns. One night, she got a phone call that someone in her other group had died a particularly suspicious death. She- and a couple of people who also knew that person- left our group shortly thereafter.

Another group disintegrated when it was discovered that one player's husband- another player in the group- was molesting her kids (prior relationship)...and she was dragging her heels about protecting the kids. We kicked his ass out. Extra icing on that cake: her spiritual advisor was ALSO a part of the group, and the discussions got so heated between the 2 of them that they both left.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Sadly, I had a good friend have a serious enough health issue that he is unable to continue to game. It's weird, since he was the catalyst for a lot of the games we ran or played in, and had the best collection of foreign movies I've ever encountered.

For our group, whenever some new errata comes out we wonder what he'd think of it, since he was our resident WotC rules keeper.

All the time when I come across a particularly unusual film (Southland Tales being a recent example) I think about him and how I wish he were around to enjoy it with me.

Most of all, I just miss the good conversations about the future and the things we both want to do.

Both of us happen to be pretty religious, so I look forward to being able to have a game with him again someday. (Not meaning to offend ENWorld's ban on religion... I hope no one takes offense.)

danzig138

Explorer
I've had too many friends and acquaintances pass along the way over the years. None of them were regular players, but a couple did sit in on a session or three. I don't know how we'd react if one of my regulars died. My condolences.

Remove ads