• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has the RPGA failed?

William Ronald

Explorer
francisca said:
When I joined the RPGA, I asked about the Classic Adventures. Heard nothing but crickets.

You know, I was trying to get a group together around here to meet monthly and rotate DMing. The idea was that when it was your turn, you show up with a 4-6 hour adventure and a fistful of pregens, and off you go. With 5 people, you'd have plenty of time to write you adventure. I got one response from a post here (crikey! I owe that guy an email), and a few nibbles. Mostly, they were interested in developing characters. They were also RPGA members.

I have games where I am developing characters. I have an on-going game world where I developing plots. I just want something on the side where I can sit down and play and try new stuff. I don't want Psionics in my game. But I'd sure like running a one shot with it. I don't want to invest in Aracana Unearthed, but I'd like to play in a game where someone knew what was going on.

Francisca, here in Chicago, the EN World Game Days are a great way to meet fellow gamers and try new one shot games. Possibly, we could organize more gamedays in our regions, make sure that people from the RPGA, FLGS, and the like know about the events, and have the EN World Game Days help introduce people to new games and meet some fellow gamers. It might be a model for the sort of RPGA that Piratecat enjoyed the most.

I also think there needs to be some effort to introduce new people to gaming as well as to connect gamers with each other.

Ceresco

First Post
I've been member for years and that's because most of my gaming experiences the last decade or so has been at cons only. I too miss the "classic" form of play that the RPGA provided in it's earlier incarnations. I learned how to be a better role player through the pregen characters available. Wasn't it mostly run by gamers though. Now it's run by a corporation. I had the chance to interview Ian Richards at GenCon last year and he explained exactly what the mission of the RPGA is now.

http://www.silven.com/articles/Default.asp?case=show&id=421

I have found that there is more support for the member run living campaigns, especially Living Arcanis. I also interviewed Henry Lopez, president of Paradigm Concepts where he gives the details of Living Arcanis.

http://www.silven.com/articles/Default.asp?case=show&id=420

Over all I think you can still get a good role playing experience with the RPGA if you find the living campaign that suites your taste. I've found in Living Arcanis that it seems to attract a lot of the old time role players and the con support is amazing.

mzsylver

Explorer
I have to agree with a lot of the people here. The RPGA is for marketing & the Living Campaigns. I myself love the Living Campaigns... though the organization leaves a lot to be desired. And, I am a slave to the man, collecting all the Complete and Races books. Gotta catch 'em all.

I was tricked into joining the RPGA at GenCon in the mid-90's and played mostly Classics (where you get a pregen PC) until I got enough guts to play a Living Campaign. From my experience, Living Death is the best written (Living Jungle was a blast... AND Living City was fun WAAAAAAYYYY back in the day before Organized Play). I started playing the Living Campaigns because I was a judge at home and never got to play - so this gave me a taste of the other side.

The RPGA is a great way to meet people. I've met a LOT of friends in Wisconsin & Illinois and all over. It also gives DMs adventures if you don't feel like writing them yourself.

I like Living Greyhawk because you can go to different regions (different parts of the US which correspond to different places in the game) and see completely different adventure styles. Power gaming does abound, but I think the RPGA has greatly improved my tactical playing.

The 2 year campaigns they've started are interesting... Legacy of the Green Regent and Mark of Heroes. You can just drop in at whatever level the campaign is currently at and build your own pc or level up with it. However, I am very disappointed that the next 2 year campaign will be in Eberron just like Mark of Heroes. I dislike that campaign setting and am hoping they do a Dragonlance or another Forgotten Realms campaign.

In any case, I recommend trying the RPGA if you havent - maybe more than once as at major cons it can be hit or miss. Get a half group of your friends and meet a half group of strangers!

But now... GEN CON AWAITS! =)

I was a member twice (technically I still am but...). Under TSR and then the not quite WotC but with strong ties to an appreciative program. Under both regiems the Polyhedron was the biggest benefit! A solid maga based soley on input from the group, no contracted writers (at least it started that way) and many ideas based, not on rules, but concepts.

I remember getting the three part module to "Needle" BEFORE it was mass produced and sold as a module. That was the quality of the non-staff writers back in the day. But, Cons are where the RPGA flexed their muscle. A more loyal fan base never did you see and a fairly tight knit group in most areas. Regional groups would have "rivalries" that lead to the concept of different kingdoms controlled by different regional groups in the "Living Grehawk" campaign.

But now, meh.. Used to, you got a 10% discount from TSR mail order now you get point buys on character creation. Yeah, that's a benefit.. :\ When WotC pulled the RPGA in under its "total" control, it lost a lot in translation. Instead of being the premier gaming movement, it became the "Gulags of Gary Jackson" (Knights of the Dinner Table reference).

I think it is sad too, it has such great history and even greater potential to die such a slow painful bearucratic death.

Glyfair

Explorer
Piratecat said:
and current RPGA leadership isn't giving me much hope that things are going to improve for the type of game I prefer.

Looking at all of my issues with the RPGA, I think it comes down to one thing: I don't see any "leadership." Supposedly there are a couple of people in charge of the RPGA. For all I know, it's a random computer spewing random information, breaking down regularly and getting nothing done.

The RPGA forum has someone who seems to communicate with the RPGA "leadership." However, the responses seem like they come from someone who happens to see one of the leaders semi-regularly and happens to ask him a few questions and gets some answers back.

Someone said on a mailing list somewhere "the RPGA just doesn't care about the gamers playing." Looking at my time in the RPGA, I can't dispute this in any fashion. The last person who really seemed to care and communicate was Eric Mona.

Bill Muench said:
Okay, here's the primary purpose of the RPGA: marketing. It exists to run games and introduce people to D&D. That's pretty much the overriding goal in a nutshell.
Except that it doesn't do that. The Living XXX campaigns are so baroque-ly complex and so hidebound that the only people who play in them (at least in my area) are the hardened veterans.

I have never seen an RPGA-organized event that would actually introduce new, young players to D&D. Prove me wrong -- please!

Mokona

First Post
The RPGA is too much about playing in sanctioned, global campaigns and not enough about finding local players for homebrew campaigns.

Bront

The man with the probe
My problems with the RPGA:

1) When running the cons, they often went to some pretty extreme lengths to shove around any other Non RPGA organization into doing their bidding, by preventing them from getting rooms, space, and in some cases, prize support.

2) RPGA changed their charter to include the ownership of any and all material run under the RPGA banner, meaning that any good writers who may wish to run an RPGA event gave up any rights they had to the module they ran. This, from what I understood, drove the group I used to run games in at Gencon out.

3) Living Campaigns - While a good idea, and I'm involved in 2 non-RPGA living games myself, they are not organized well. Since you can run the modules in private, hard core powergamers can create a fake "Game Day", run their friends through modules kindly, make sure they get all the goodies, and simply sit and power themselves up (I know people who have done this). This defeats the purpose of the games to me, which is to have fun, and develope your own character along side others who are doing the same, not grab as much as I can and go.

4) No real benifits from membership other than having to be a member to run or play their games, which are hit or miss.

5) Tournies not created equal - Their D&D Open event was an individual advancement event, so it did not promote good team play. In one case, in the final round, one of the characters (Players got to decide for themselves) needed to sacrifice himself, and was gone for the rest of the round. This player was garunteed to not win the tourny, even if it was in character, and is a poor way to run a tourny.

6) Clerical errors - I never recieved any magazines when I was a member, but I was listed as a paid member for years after I wasn't untill they made all the memberships free (I still have my plastic RPGA card). My father had canceled his membership, and it took the RPGA 6 years to notice. Meanwhile, when I was a paying member, I never got any of the award points that I was supposed to get as a member.

7) Tiered games - I didn't like that there were games that required you to have a particular ranking in the RPGA. I was snuck into one of the expert ones (As a someone else who had missed the con but had a judges badge), and had a lot of fun RPing, and while I can understand that it was designed for more experience RPers, why not open it up and simply give the higher ranking players first dibs?

I was with NASCRAG when they ran their tourny along side the D&D Open. I had several D&D Open judges tell me and others that the NASCRAG event was a significantly better tourny (Team advancement, roleplay/puzzle sovling oriented, some tongue in cheek humor, fun judges). They ran under the RPGA when the RPGA made a power play and claimed the right to lord over all prize distribution for tournies (Happened maybe 10-12 years ago), and they actualy lost some support because people were refusing to sign up for free memberships. And they reciently left the RPGA when the moved to Indy, because of the RPGA trying to claim rights to their module (Which the sell to help support the production costs of running the module and as a reward to the authors). However, their events are still exactly what Piratecat described that he liked in the old RPGA, but with consistantly good judges (in my oppinion), fair and tested modules, premade characters with notes on what they think of the other characters, and an emphasis on roleplay, and mostly fun.

Bagpuss

Legend
Everything Piratecat and the previous poster said, goes for me. The RPGA has lost its way with it's blinkered view the Living campaigns are the only focus.

Spell

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I keep seeing threads about how impossilbe it is to find a group.

Isn't the RPGA supposed to help out in this regard?

Do you use it? Is it too 'formal' for you?

Are you just uninterested in it?

I've never messed with it myself, but I've had some solid groups in the past so not a big deal.

i never bothered to actually check their local chapters because i feel i would find people that is willing to play only "by the rules", and since i have some problems with the rules as they stand...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads