• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has WoTC announced any ebooks yet?

resistor

First Post
Free Culture movement? Color me curious, what's this?

I think of it like this: We are our cultural heritage. The myths, fairy tales, lullabies, etc that our parents teach us as children don't belong to any particular person or company, but are a shared basis that defines who we are as a culture.

Copyright law is in contrast to that; it gives artists and creators temporary monopolies on their works, so that they can make money from them. When that copyright expires, the works enter the public domain, and can be used by anyone for any purpose. This is why classics like Shakepeare can be printed by lots of different companies, and why classic songs can be performed without having to pay dues.

The problem is that modern copyright law has extended ownership terms for creative works to an incredible degree (currently life + 90 years). This creates absurd situations, like the copyright status of the Happy Birthday song. There's nothing that's more part of our shared culture than that, yet it still belongs to a company that charges money for public performances of it. Where do we draw the line where the need to preserve short-term profits is less important than the need to preserve our own culture?

Disney is an easy target to pick on, as they've been behind a lot of the lobbying to extent copyright terms to prevent their early movies from entering the public domain:

My grandparents saw Snow White in a movie theater on one of their first dates. When it finally enters the public domain and becomes "public culture" (in 2032), my future children might be able to see it on their first dates.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, imagine moving basic, 1st through 4th edition stuff and all the other geek stuff...while in the military.

It wasn't unitl I got higher in rank (and more of a weight allowance) that I could stop deciding between shipping my book or microwave.

Books usually won.

drothgery

First Post
Yeah, imagine moving basic, 1st through 4th edition stuff and all the other geek stuff...while in the military.

It wasn't unitl I got higher in rank (and more of a weight allowance) that I could stop deciding between shipping my book or microwave.

Books usually won.

Well, clearly. I mean, a microwave costs about as much as 3-5 hardcover gaming books or novels, and is a lot easier to replace. :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Well, clearly. I mean, a microwave costs about as much as 3-5 hardcover gaming books or novels, and is a lot easier to replace. :)
Especially after two or three edition changes. (I still have RuneQuest 2e and 3e, CoC 1, 3, 5, D20, and I think the current one.....) Some of those books are nigh irreplaceable. Hell, I went looking for a non-gaming book from my childhood. I didn't find it, but I did find someone willing to pay $1,200 - without the dust jacket! (Paulus and the Acornmen, if anyone is interested....)

I very much doubt that WotC is going to bother with e-book versions of older edition material - if I recall correctly they hired someone else to do the transfer of older materials to PDF, and I doubt they found the effort worth their time and money. Dropping PDF support for older editions didn't really cost them much, compared to how much they were making with 3.X. :( (I say this even though I would be one of the folks buying older materials.)

The Auld Grump

Voadam

Legend
We've sure beat that horse.

When I interviewed Greg Leeds last summer, he was pretty adamant that they were working on a non-pdf method for addressing this. If I speak to him at this coming GenCon, I'll ask him the same question. :)

Please do.

Are you referring to something other than the interview published on here after they pulled the pdfs? I remember him saying in that interview that they were exploring options but that was it, not that they had anything they were actually working on.

Elton Robb

Explorer
[quote: Kamikaze Midget] Excellent use of the Nina Paley evangialism, but no link to Sita?![/quote]

Sita Sings the Blues isn't a retelling, it's an adaptation shown through the artist's own lens. But, if you want to see a full length movie while on Enworld, I'm not going to stand in your way. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfS2p1vFics"]Sita Sings the Blues[/ame]

Let me STRESS that this isn't a faithful retelling of the Ramayana. She's using the story to help retell her story.

Aeolius

Adventurer
I'm not sure that iBooks, which uses epub I think, could cope with layout-focused image-heavy rpg books. You could have a searchable SRD-style document, including fluff text etc, but it probably wouldn't be very good at displaying power 'cards', and charts would be very difficult, if I understand epub correctly.

They could go the route DK Books/Penguin Publishing is going by creating apps for each book, in essence reinventing each book for the iPad

Or, they could let Lulu make the ePub books for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads