• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has your XBox 360 died ?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
My first one was one of those very first boxes. Bought it in early 2006. I had absolutely no trouble with it until this summer. I played easily 20 hour straights occasionally and it worked perfectly. Then, two days after the new S-series was published it just RRoD'ed. At that point I just decided that ok, I'll get the new one. Easier than sending the old to be fixed and I was thinking of getting the S anyway.

Redrobes

First Post
Thanks guys.

Thats 9 people, 5 experiencing one or more failures and 3 never having a failure. But some of the 5 have had multiple xboxes die.

Mine went whilst playing Fable II and it turns out my other mate's box went on Fable II as well which is just coincidence. I am seeing the third chap tomorrow so ill ask him which game he was playing when his went. If thats Fable II as well then I'd consider that more than coincidence...

I bought my mates old repaired box since he also went out and got a new one and got the old one repaired as well. The new slim one is supposed to have one big fan instead of two small ones so I bet they have changed the air flow to mitigate some of the known issues for failures and probably better. I waited until the 'Elite' edition so they could flush out some of the earlier problems with them but seems for MS thats not waiting long enough.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I had a machine that got the RROD after a year and a half of light use.

I fixed it myself and its been working like a champ for over 2 years.

Since fixing my own I have tried to fix 4 additional machines. One was unfixable (and also was the only one to have a non-RROD problem), one worked for a couple months before crapping out again, and the other two I haven't heard about.

Since the fix for the RROD only costs $14 in parts and an hour of your time (plus however long you want to "test" the fix) it's a no brainer!

DS

Redrobes

First Post
What kind of problem did it exhibit and what did you have to do to fix it. I was concerned that if I took the back off and fixed it then it would register the "tampering" and mark it against me on Live. That and I am short of time to fix anything at mo. But I am cool with electronics and would fix almost anything. My PC has my own card in it and my own water cooling system from a Ford Cortina so its not that which is scaring me off.

Mine has no RRoD yet but its clearly a graphics card issue. My mate reckons its the repeated heating cooling causing a PCB track break. I am less sure about that. It looks more like memory problems but whatever - whos to know without checking. It takes a few mins then it locks up so could well be mechanical heating related.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Of the 6 people I know with 360s 4 of them have had the RRoD (is the "cute" descriptor supposed to make it OK that it failed?) with one person getting it twice. So 7 360s 5 failures. I rarely play mine (I'm much more of a PC gamer and first/third person shooter/rpgs bore me to death - yes even Mass Effect).

Redrobes

First Post
Thanks everyone,

So bearing in mind this is a thread about dying xboxes and is somewhat biased towards dead ones we have:

17 People of which 11 have experienced one or more failures and 4 people never having a failure.

Also, I don't think that the "Red Ring of Death" is all that cute. Its pretty descriptive and to the point. Its obviously a parody of the other MS affliction the "Blue Screen of Death" or BSOD which I would say is quite rare now, if not extinct on a sensible setup, but was a daily experience of using Win95.

Last edited:

Superking

Explorer
Mine just died on month 35 of a 36 month warranty. Have three friends with boxes one of their's went. So of the group we are 2 of 5 with rrod.

Redrobes

First Post
Thanks, I'm counting number of people who have had one or more failures cos some people have gone through many boxes I thought id be generous with the stats. So with you and three friends - and the fact I couldn't count last time - thats now 19 people, 12 having at least one failure and 7 never having a failure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads