• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro CEO Chris Cox, "I would say that the underlying thesis of our D&D business is all about digital,”

darjr

I crit!
Well I've told you why they're crap.

Imagine a video game or movie review site and all the reviews were 80-100%.
Please note my disagreement with Sly about the reviews. Why are you pinging me about trying to defend a view I don't, entirely, hold?

darjr

I crit!
Thought you were talking to me. I'm guessing I'm blocked.
no, you're not. It's just I've already said I don't fully agree with sly. But seeing the review numbers on spelljammer was just interesting and surprising. Given that keys only has, like, 300?

that's pretty much it.

Zardnaar

Legend
no, you're not. It's just I've already said I don't fully agree with sly. But seeing the review numbers on spelljammer was just interesting and surprising. Given that keys only has, like, 300?

that's pretty much it.

You came across as saying 4.5 meant it was good. Amazon and Rotten tomatoes are crap metrics for pretty much everything for reviews.

Looking ar youtube thumbnails Curse of Strahd and LMoP seem to be up high a lot HotDQ near the bottom lol.

Zardnaar

Legend
Hoard of the Dragon Queen? You mean the number one best selling module of all time? That garbage adventure that everyone hates?

LOL.

You're equating sales with quality.

Remember the Transformers movies? Made billions at the box office. Are they fondly remembered now? Not really.

HotDQ is a Transformers movie. Probably the second one.

I'm not familiar with some of the newer adventures but HotDQ is the worst one of the older books.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Is six years a "bubble"? Sure, I think that growth will slow. That's obviously going to be true eventually. You cannot have meteoric increases year on year forever. But, again, there's no indication that it won't plateau. The boom/bust cycle of D&D seems to be broken. That's the entire point of an "evergreen" edition. Even if I'm kinda disappointed about the tepid changes we're seeing in D&Done, I cannot deny that WotC's business plan isn't massively successful. Which is kinda the opposite of incompetent.

Still one of the most popular products to date. It didn't just sell initially, it's continued to sell really, really well. And the art controversy was important for what, a week? That blew over and everyone moved on. And, again, WotC fixed the problem and responded to criticism. What's the controversy?

DM's Guild lists over 500 products for Spelljammer. Including a fantastic 20 level campaign that I'm DYING to run. My current Spelljammer campaign is doing quite well as well. So, again, what's the problem here?

People tend to think that these misteps and gaffes on the part of WotC actually matter far more than they do. I'm sorry, they really don't. Not in the longer run. The OGL debacle was barely a ripple. Hadozee or the issues with Candlekeep Mysteries (both of which I entirely agree with you about by the way)? News of the day and then entirely forgotten.

On Amazon right now, the only non-core book more popular than Spelljammer is Tasha's. I get the criticisms. I agree with most of them. I think the book should be about 20 more pages and it needs more material. But, apparently, no, it really doesn't. People don't seem to care very much. They are buying it in droves. 🤷
And that's all that matters, apparently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads