WotC Hasbro CEO Chris Cox talks about D&D on NPRs Here & Now. Topics include Layoffs and OGL.

Not entirely so.
Some images in older rulebooks were quite repulsive for women I know, because of very light and unrealistic dresses and strange poses.
No to speak of attribute maximums for female characters of very old editions.

5e art did a great job of potraying women as equally fit adventurers.

Of course we see more equal female heroes in television too.

I should have read your entire post before responding... ;)
I think some women had an issue with some images. Some men did as well. Generically claiming all women is pretty wide and not true. There are also plenty of men that find the chainmail bikinis between silly and and offensive.

I honestly don’t think that there was immediate magic in portraying an overweight with glasses guy in the book that suddenly won that demographic over to playing the game. Remember that the cheesecake is also beefcake and the magnificently muscled men in loin cloths are just the other side of the same thing.

I actually don’t find that type of art offensive but I have 2 daughter, both in their 20’s, that are both gamers. They told me that a cheesecake cover or anything with an overly sexualized picture (usually women) means that the book starts out at a -1. They still might buy it or read it, but it starts as a deterrent. I imagine that in a society that was rough enough on male nerd would have made it harder for nerd curious women to overcome that -1 in that same society. Tastes changing made a bigger difference and then not starting with -1 helps.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I thought this part was well said and interesting:

I make it out as a statement that vocal online folks are often a poor representative of the wider customer base. i.e. 'yeah, we hear the online protesters, but they don't really represent a large portion of our customers.' And I think he's right.

Not only is it easy to be an online complainer, given the algorithms and click-bait issues, it is often profitable. IMO, that's a bad thing for our hobby.
Fully agreed. People online are really a small bubble not necessarily (or often) representative of reality. I’ve seen several people online claiming that the D&D movie’s underperformance at the box office was mostly due to the OGL boycotts.

Fully agreed. People online are really a small bubble not necessarily (or often) representative of reality. I’ve seen several people online claiming that the D&D movie’s underperformance at the box office was mostly due to the OGL boycotts.
Mostly due to it, that is hard to agree with. But Cocks himself lauded social media as a great marketing tool and they massively shot themselves in the foot with the proposed canceling of the OGL right before the movie came out which I think dampened the chance for lots of social media promotion from the various influencers. And I cut down the enthusiasm of their more committed fans (us people that argue online).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm sure, but Cocks indicated that the cuts in gaming weren't actually to "tighten the belt" - they were due to "changing priorities". So again, that raises the question of what priorities changed. What are they looking for in new talent that wasn't in the old guard?
Another point: a lot of the WotC folks/ hat were let go seemed to ve redundancies dating from the acquisition of Beyond

mamba

Legend
If considering changing to a TTRPG not owned by a megacorp, may I suggest Level Up? The people behind the best TTRPG forum on Earth have also created a version of 5E free from megacorp control! Click on that EnPublishing button to learn more.
that and their SRD blows WotC's away, wish WotC's were more like that

Remove ads