• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hasbro CEO: "D&D is Really on a Tear"

Sorry, that laugh was a result of clumsy fingers on my phone.

Wicht

Hero
To be honest, when I ripped into those games, I didn't mean to offend anyone - this is a gaming forum, and I assumed awareness of how badly regarded those games are with board gamers. It was more of an in-joke than anything, that I though everyone would be in on. I didn't know there would be avid fans who would be offended. In short I'd say that if you like these games, well and good, but please do have an explore on boardgamegeek, or ask around at the next con you go to. I wager you'll be pleasantly surprised at the variety of great games on offer, and you won't (or hardly ever) will want to go back. But if you don't like then, then sure, go back to your favourites.

Eh, I wasn't offended myself - just think its too easy to be dismissive without considering the actual good qualities of some classics... :)

Also, do consider that most people think of Board Games as something to play with the kids, and that if this is your primary reason to game, then your needs are different. For example - Clue's (Cluedo if you prefer) deduction mechanism is actually a great introduction for children into that particular genre. Indeed, if one could figure out a good replacement for the roll and move, it would be a pretty decent introduction game for adults too. However, I would suggest that when, as should happen, you reach the point where everyone solves it at the same time, that one should consider expanding into slightly harder games like Mystery Express, or Mystery of the Abbey. But that last point assumes that one actually likes Board Games.

So, anyway, I also agree with you that there are games that do the same things better and that gamers that like board games should look deeper. I would point them to The Dice Tower myself for entertaining reviews. (BGG is great but a bit daunting for newbies).

And since we are on the subject: Dice Tower's Top Ten "Better" Games

Last edited by a moderator:

WackyAnne

First Post
New EE Bonds & Backgrounds from Adventurers League

*snip*
Time will tell. I'd like some options. More backgrounds, more class options, setting books (no, the story line modules alone don't cut it for setting support)....well, time will tell.

The Adventurers League created some new bonds & backgrounds for the Elemental Evil storyline, some fairly specific to the Expeditions adventures in Mulmaster on the Moonsea, but many useable and/or adaptable for more general use. Free for anyone to download:

http://dndadventurersleague.org/elemental-evil-bonds-and-backgrounds-for-mulmaster/

And don't miss the very recently released DM's supplement for Princes of the Apocalypse with new spells, magic items, and monsters (again, all free, relieving DMs from _having_ to buy the MM or DMG to run the campaign)

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PrincesApocalypse_AdvSupplementv1.0_PrinterFriendly.pdf

Zak S

This is why all the doom and gloom threads are (in my view) ridiculous. So many posters seem unable to distinguish what they want to play their games from the commercial context that WotC/Hasbro cares about.
I always wonder--how well does 5e have to do before all of the people who said it would go down because of this, that or the other reason come forward and go:

"I'm sorry, internet, I was talking out of my ass. I can't be trusted, ignore me from now on."

?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I always wonder--how well does 5e have to do before all of the people who said it would go down because of this, that or the other reason come forward and go:

"I'm sorry, internet, I was talking out of my ass. I can't be trusted, ignore me from now on."

?

You shouldn't ignore someone who admits they are wrong.

Now if they refuse to admit it....

jodyjohnson

Adventurer

?

When the POTUS during the State of the Union address mentions playing a rousing game of 5th edition D&D and the TV commentators and opposing party rebuttal both remark "That would be awesome!". And then Washington DC becomes the hotbed of D&D in the nation.

Hypothetical Speaker of the House: "Mr. President your policies are a disgrace! Just like 4th edition. But I would play a Ranger in your campaign - D&D that is."

Zak S

You shouldn't ignore someone who admits they are wrong.

Now if they refuse to admit it....
Good point. A person who admits they were wrong's way better than someone who doesn't.

But I think a healthy dose of "Ok, I've been wrong before so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt…" demonstrates even more self-knowledge.

Personally, I never claimed to have any idea how 5e was gonna go either way.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm aware that they do very good business (here in the UK most of them dominate the board games market), but as a board gamer, I can tell you that as games, it sucks that they're still the top sellers. They range from (arguably) passable to truly terrible designs. Modern board games moved past them eons ago, and continue to come out with dozens of exciting, innovative designs every year, providing the same good aspects of these games (e.g. trading, acquisition, conflict) but making them into easier to play experiences with more depth, and much better components. The aforementioned "classics" may have stood the test of time, but largely because people aren't aware that much better designs exist (it's easier for Hasbro to market the same old titles that everyone already knows), and 90% of their billion copies sit unplayed gathering dust in cupboards except at Christmas where they're pulled out to give board games a bad name yet again.
I'm sure that's all true from the dedicated hobbyist perspective - it's pretty true of RPGs as well as boardgames - but that's what people buy.

Besides, the recent resurgence in boardgames has been marked by more modern games, more than old stand-bys hasn't it? So Hasbro's classics are doing well with boardgames being more popular, but they aren't driving it, just along for the ride, perhaps?

Grainger

Explorer
Eh, I wasn't offended myself - just think its too easy to be dismissive without considering the actual good qualities of some classics... :)

Also, do consider that most people think of Board Games as something to play with the kids, and that if this is your primary reason to game, then your needs are different. For example - Clue's (Cluedo if you prefer) deduction mechanism is actually a great introduction for children into that particular genre. Indeed, if one could figure out a good replacement for the roll and move, it would be a pretty decent introduction game for adults too. However, I would suggest that when, as should happen, you reach the point where everyone solves it at the same time, that one should consider expanding into slightly harder games like Mystery Express, or Mystery of the Abbey. But that last point assumes that one actually likes Board Games.

So, anyway, I also agree with you that there are games that do the same things better and that gamers that like board games should look deeper. I would point them to The Dice Tower myself for entertaining reviews. (BGG is great but a bit daunting for newbies).

And since we are on the subject: Dice Tower's Top Ten "Better" Games

All fair points!

I totally agree about Clue/do - it's a good, staright-forward deduction game, but I just hate that it's marred by the pointless roll-and-move aspect that can be incredibly frustrating, and I wish they'd update that aspect of it.

I also agree about the family games/gamers difference - personally I tend to go for the easier games anyway, and I just think it's a shame that the default family games aren't some of these, rather than the old designs. Or, at the very least, I wish the list of staples was widened to admit some more modern designs. For example, Incan Gold is a really quick, easy to learn, easy to play game that supports lots of players, can be played by six-year-olds, and (IMO) is extremely fun. And that's just one out of hundreds of great easy-to-play modern games.

I'd recommend Shut Up and Sit Down as a review site, because it actually focuses on what you feel (or think) when playing the games, rather than fixating on the rules. Too many board games review sites think they need to laboriously explain all of the rules in their review with an opinion tacked on at the end, and they end up with boring reviews.

Grainger

Explorer
Besides, the recent resurgence in boardgames has been marked by more modern games, more than old stand-bys hasn't it? So Hasbro's classics are doing well with boardgames being more popular, but they aren't driving it, just along for the ride, perhaps?

Yes, board games have had a big resurgence (relatively speaking; I don't think the sales of King of Tokyo is going to trouble Monopoly any time soon), and that's come from more modern games. Interesting point about Hasbro's classics being along for the ride - I don't know if this is the case. I've also seen it put down to the recession - people are staying in, and leaning on traditional things they may find comfortable (and if that's board games, then it's probably games from their childhood). This would all be speculation, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads