• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!

Deedlit

First Post
(In the unlikely event that this doesn't kill me)

I have seen this incantation referenced in countless places, and I know that whatever happens, it's not good, but I don't know what exactly it does to you, what is behind it, or anything. Could someone explain this to me, as I didn't start on DnD until 3e.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
It summons hastur.

It usually results in madness followed by a quick death.

I think it's originally a call of Chtulhu thing, or a really old school demon-lord of some kind.

The very original Deities and Demigods book had stats for the creatures and gods of both the Cthuluh and Melnibonean mythoi. The Chaosium company had the rights to the gaming conversions of these two mythologies and so they were pulled from the second printing.

The rules stated that there was a flat percentage (1% or 5%, I forget which) that anyone who said the name of the god Hastur out loud would cause him to appear. He was a Greater God and tended to slay (and eat IIRC) any mortal he encountered.

Saying Hastur was thus considered ultimate DUMB!

Deedlit said:
(In the unlikely event that this doesn't kill me)

I have seen this incantation referenced in countless places, and I know that whatever happens, it's not good, but I don't know what exactly it does to you, what is behind it, or anything. Could someone explain this to me, as I didn't start on DnD until 3e.
You mentioned the unspeakable one by name! Great Cthulhu protect us!

Uh, that probably won't happen, so here goes....

Hastur is a demigod from the Cthulhu Mythos. If you say his name, you draw the attention of said deity.

In 3e terms, think 600 h.p. with 40/+4 damage reduction, fast healing 25 h.p./round, and 50% miss chance for any attack against him (including area effects). Good luck in the battle. ;)

kkoie

First Post
Hastur is a brother of Cthulhu who lives on Aldebaran, a star in the constellation of Taurus. He is also refered to as Hastur the Unspeakable and He Who Must Not Be Named. He is also known to have many avatars, one of which is refered to as The King In Yellow.

More can be learned from the Cthulhu RPG (either the d20 or origonal Chaosium games) and from the works created by and inspired by H.P.Lovecraft.

I believe that the Hastur Hastur Hastur reference was a bit created by 1e D&D, but I could be incorrect in that assumption.

2WS-Steve

First Post
NoOneofConsequence said:
The very original Deities and Demigods book had stats for the creatures and gods of both the Cthuluh and Melnibonean mythoi. The Chaosium company had the rights to the gaming conversions of these two mythologies and so they were pulled from the second printing.

The rules stated that there was a flat percentage (1% or 5%, I forget which) that anyone who said the name of the god Hastur out loud would cause him to appear. He was a Greater God and tended to slay (and eat IIRC) any mortal he encountered.

Saying Hastur was thus considered ultimate DUMB!

1st Edition AD&D was loads of fun (for the GM...). Even regular old demon lords and archdevils has a 5% chance of showing up if you said their name. Hastur had a whopping 25% chance of appearing when his name was spoken :eek:

It all made well-read goblins pretty scary...

I'm not exactly certain but I think Hastur also did either 1d100 or 3d100 damage with a stomp. He only had 300 hit points though so a solid munchkin player group could take him out by about 15th level or so...

2WS-Steve said:

1st Edition AD&D was loads of fun (for the GM...). Even regular old demon lords and archdevils has a 5% chance of showing up if you said their name. Hastur had a whopping 25% chance of appearing when his name was spoken :eek:

It all made well-read goblins pretty scary...

I'm not exactly certain but I think Hastur also did either 1d100 or 3d100 damage with a stomp. He only had 300 hit points though so a solid munchkin player group could take him out by about 15th level or so...

Damn!....25%?!? I remembered it was bad, but I had no idea!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads