Have a background...... what is my class? Thoughts?

Ragnarox

First Post
I started with a pure Sorc in mind, but now I am thinking a Sorc / Ranged Fighter might be an interesting combo? I should say I am more interested in fun play, than optimization, but I don't want a broken character, or worse one that's not even playable.

Rags was born of violence, and into the dark world of the Drow. His mother was raped by desperate & evil human tomb robbers searching for lost Dwarven treasure. She escaped into the freezing cold winter night, surviving the elements only by stumbling upon a barn with a dry and semi-warm hay filled loft. There she stayed, sneaking food and water until she was discovered. She could not stifle the scream of pain during the delivery her newborn 1/2 drow, 1/2 human son. That scream saved her and the babies life; it woke the farmer who discovered her in the loft, passed out from pain, blood loss and the hardship of hiding like a criminal for the past 9 months. Fortunately for Danika and Rags, Monte was a kind man who had recently lost his own wife during the birth of his daughter Bridgette who was only a babe of 3 months herself.

Rags, Danika, Bridgette and Monte lived peacefully in isolation until once again tragic violence took the lives of both his mother and father, as well as seeing Rags severely injured and Bridgette taken to be sold to slavers. Rags was beaten and nailed to a sign post with a "half breed" painted sign hanging around his neck. He was only 11 years old. “Rescued" as a savage joke by a young Red Dragon who thought it was crueller for Rags to be forced to live in as an outcast stuck between 2 opposing worlds. He did survive and more, his delirious state and unusual rescue caused mental break and with the subsequent recovery showing Draconic influenced sorcery abilities.

He returned to the alone in the farm where he was born, and spent the next 10 years surviving, training with an old rapier his human father had hidden in the cottage attic. He practiced and hunted game with a worn-out Crossbow he found near one of the bodies hidden in the bushes near the crossroads where he was left to die. These activities kept Rags pre-occupied, and in top physical condition, but his true calling and power came from deep inside his tightly muscled frame. He had become a Red Draconic Sorcerer, with a decade of pain and anger bottled up inside him. Magic was the only release from that rage.

He left he farm to seek vengeance and never stopped looking for Bridgette. She had been his best friend, playmate & confidant while they grew up together. Doing so he put most of his resources into the search. Dante swears an oath of vengeance daily, promising he will bring justice to those who wronged his family, and worse to the bastards who took his sister Danika. They would likely have not killed or harmed her beyond physical repair since she would have been valuable on the slave market. So, by the age of 21 he had spent much of his life training to help him search for her and bring her home safely to the old farmstead.

Now 5 years later he travels the world taking jobs where he can, searching constantly for the people who took his sister, and hopefully free her from captivity. At 26, he was doing what needed to be done to survive and further his search, he has entered the criminal underworld doing what he does best, kill. This weighs on his conscience, and to balance his guilt, Rags only takes contracts that satisfy his personal ideals on guilt and vengeance. His targets must be guilty, despicable creatures like the human who fathered him, and the scum who killed his father, kidnapped his sister and crucified him at the Crossroads.

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Based on the story I would recommend:
Bounty Hunter Background
Ranger Class - Hunter Archetype

If you really want Sorcerer though...then swap Ranger for Sorcerer. I wouldn't consider mixing those 2 classes though.

Mad_Jack

Legend
You might consider fiend pact warlock instead of sorcerer, fluffed as the dragon having invested you with it's power when it saved you - it'll give you the fire aspect of the dragon while providing a bit more melee potential.

If you're primarily a caster, then you'll want to spend as few character resources as possible on acquiring the rapier and crossbow proficiency. Pretty much everybody gets proficiency with the light crossbow, but warlock would give you armor and even the rapier if you decide to go bladelock...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
My thought was Barbarian or Vengeance Paladin.

Paladin/Sorcerer (if multi-classing is allowed) is presently considered the top of top-tier m/c builds. You could even go Dex with Dragon Sorc using a Rapier with shield or any xbow you like. Paladin/Warlock works nearly as well for similar reasons plus that sweet sweet Eldritch Blast.

If no multi-class, stick with Sorcerer or Warlock. Half-elf variant (from the SCAG) might let you get the Rapier weapon skill for free (not 100% on that, don't have the book in front of me atm) by trading your skill focus for one of the elf weapon traits (probably Drow?).

Last edited:

Coyote81

First Post
I was thinking Vengeance Oath paladin/ Sorcerer. Chaotic Neutral imo. You can reskin spells to go along with your story. Perhaps when you cast firebolt, it's actually a fiery bolt shot from your crossbow you've had forever, a reminder of your lost and powers your fiery rage. Your rapier fits perfectly for using green flame blade for melee attacks and using extra spell slots for smite damage.

Remove ads