• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you been published in Dragon?

Ahzad

Explorer
I'm bored & currently have no game running probably for lack of quality players more than anything. So I've been feeling nostalgic for my gaming roots and have decided to re-read some of my older Dragon Mags from 251 and up, having sold the earlier ones a long time ago after getting the CD-Rom. I would love to read the earlier ones, but hate reading on my computer, maybe when I get an e-reader I'll go back and read those earlier ones.

While reading through a couple I got to wondering how many enworlders have been published in Dragon, whether articles, sage advice, letter columns, and what-not. So have you and if so what issue?

I was a subscriber to Dragon for a long, long time but have never wrote the magazine. The only time I ever wrote to a publisher was one time on the DC message boards to complain that Bart Sears revamp of the Warlord comic was an atrocious mess.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I got really lucky and got into both Dragon and Dungeon right before they ceased print publication.

Dragon 351: Planescape - Gatetown of Ecstasy
Dragon 353: The Ecology of the Keeper
Dragon 353: Multiple Dementia
Dragon 359: 1d20 Villains (the sections on Tiamat, Lolth, Artemis Entreri, and possibly Orcus, its been a while)

Dungeon 150: Wandering Monster - Dergholoth

Klaus

First Post
2e:
Dragon 274 - The Green Dweomer (new spells for the Plant sphere)
4e:
Dragon 386 - Channel Divinity: Sehanine
Dragon 390 - Class Acts: Shivs of Sorcery

Stormonu

Legend
Dragon, no - but I did get an adventure published in Dungeon, The Winter Tapestry. I think it's in issue #78 or #79.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the white dragon's lair in the 3e Draconomicon was based on the lair from that adventure.

I submitted two articles in 80s, both rejected by Roger E Moore. The better one was the same topic as the eventually published "Orisons" article somewhere in the 75-90 range of issues. My clerical cantrips were more diverse and perhaps a bit less priestly than the eventual published article. Had I submitted sooner... Oh well.

I then did no RPG "writing"* until 2002 when I started my defunct 3rd party company.

*There's a big difference between writing for publication and just writing.

Croesus

Adventurer
I submitted a golem for their creature feature back in 1978 or so, but it was rejected. If I remember correctly, the editor said it was too similar to something else that was already published. Looking back on it, I'm very impressed that I received a personal reply (in the self-addressed stamped envelope I included, of course). The editor took the time to actually critique the submission, rather than simply saying "Nope".

Anyone know if an unsolicited submission would get a response nowadays? Or do such things simply disappear into a black hole?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I had a few Class Acts back in the day. Checking RPG.net's Index to get the issue numbers, they were

Unusual Spells Dragon #338
Mind Blade Feats Dragon #341
The Oversoul Dragon #350

Croesus said:
Anyone know if an unsolicited submission would get a response nowadays? Or do such things simply disappear into a black hole?
Since Steve took over I've sent two pitches and gotten two responses. One seemed rather formulaic, but the other gave specific reasons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads