• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you bought any books because they won an ENnie?

Gizzard

First Post
"Black Sails over Freeport" had dropped off my radar because of mediocre reviews; having it do well at the ENnies put it back in the "consider" pile. So, no, I haven't bought anything because of the awards, but BSOF will get a second shot that it otherwise wouldn't have gotten. I'm sure the names of some of the other winners/nominees are percolating around in my brain due to the publicity as well.

MulhorandSage

First Post
When a product that slipped below the radar gets nominated for an ENnie, it *does* get my attention. When the coffers are full again, there's a couple of nominees I'll try to pick up.

Rolemancer

First Post
I bought HARP and looked at Cthulhu Dark Ages because of these awards. I wouldn't have known about either product otherwise. I can't say if I'm happy with the purchase or not, as it hasn't come in yet, but this award had better be right or it will be the last time I trust in it.

Napftor

Explorer
I bought Monsternomicon last year because of its ENNie and the good word of mouth. But generally, I don't use any awards as a purchasing tool.

Crothian

First Post
Rolemancer said:
I bought HARP and looked at Cthulhu Dark Ages because of these awards. I wouldn't have known about either product otherwise. I can't say if I'm happy with the purchase or not, as it hasn't come in yet, but this award had better be right or it will be the last time I trust in it.

Its not the award you are listening to its the people who vote on the award ie the fans of RPGs. All this will show is if the best new games that were not d20 that were released last year are your cup of tea. Taking two products that won one of the many categories we hand out and weigh the whole thing by these two products is beyond silly. :cool:

Pants

First Post
No... well not really.

I bought Book of Fiends before the nomination list came out and I persuaded a friend of mine to buy Torn Asunder looong before the list came out.

It does make me consider books... but usually not for very long. I usually buy books because of the buzz on the M/B's and my own personal interest in the subject matter.

haiiro

First Post
No, but not out of lack of interest in the nominated and winning titles.

When I look at the nominees, I find that I already have a very good idea of which products interest me and which ones don't. Out of this year's winners, for example, there are only three products I don't already own that I intend to buy: Grimm (FFG), Lost City of Barakus (TL/Necromancer) and Crime & Punishment (Atlas).

Grimm is the exception: prior to the ENnies, I was interested in it, but hadn't planned on buying it. The awards it got motivated me to give it a closer look, and doing so made me decide I'll buy it at some point. Lost City and C&P have been on my buy list for awhile, and the ENnies didn't change that.

Heck, there are still a few things on my buy list that won ENnies in 2003 -- but none that I wasn't already planning on buying before the awards.

I don't think the ENnies are useless by any means -- I've voted both years, attended in 2003, and taken an active interest when the process starts -- but given the amount of time I spend thinking about what gaming goodies to buy, they don't have a whole lot of influence on me. ;)

(This turned out longer than I expected -- I hope it's useful to someone!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads