• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you calculated your PC's CR?

Boarstorm

First Post
I don't have my books handy so I can't start us off myself, but I'm curious if anyone has yet done this.

If so, what did you get? And does the result seem reasonable to you?

Tormyr

Hero
Looking over one of the character sheets for a 7 Rogue / 1 Monk.

HP 43, AC 18, DPR 29, AB 8

Evasion is kind of like Avoidance (going off of memory here), so the effective AC is 19.

Defensive CR starts at 1/4 and adjusts 3 steps to 2.
Offensive CR starts at 5 and adjusts 1 step to 6.

Average CR is 4.

This seems about right. The rogue would need an ally to maintain sneak attack damage for each round. I could see a level 4 party taking the rogue to task without too much difficulty. While the rogue could hit hard, a level 4 or 5 party could gang up and take it down in a round or two.

Boarstorm

First Post
I don't have access to the list of abilities that modify CR, but a thumbnail version of a level 5 ranger in my campaign based solely on the chart('s picture on my phone)...

Defensive CR: 1/2, boosted to 2 for his AC.
Offensive CR: 3, not boosted.

Final CR: 2.5, rounded up to 3.

Seems close. If I added in class abilities it might boost up to 4, but that honestly seems high for such modest hit points.

the Jester

Legend
Defensive
AC 18 = CR 13, Defensive CR starts at 1/4 and Adjusts by 7, Steps up to CR 6
Offensive
Damage 29 = CR 4, Steps up 3 (AB 8, CR 11) to CR 7

So the CR would be 7 without the benefits of class

That's not how it works.

For defense, you start with effective hp; then you adjust for AC by adding 1 to per 2 points of AC above the 'base' AC for the effective hps you have.

Likewise with damage and attack bonus.

You DO NOT figure defensive CR by averaging the CR for AC and hps.

Remove ads