• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you decided to change systems?

S'mon

Legend
S. Baldrick said:
I don't think that most of the players would go for it.

They'd drop your campaigns? If they enjoy your GMing and they're not already playing other 3.5e GM's games, that seems unlikely, surely?

drscott46 said:
Diaglo, I'm certain you've been asked this question a zillion times, but I must know: why?...I am sincerely curious as to why you prefer the very first edition of the game to other versions.
I'm running Holmes, which is very close to OD&D (and I'm using the three OD&D books as references/supplements, along with various house rules). Check out my "running B4 with Holmes" thread on Dragonsfoot for some details/further explanation on the following:

A few reason I like it include:
The stat modifiers. (The numbers aren't as influential)
The damage abstraction. (All weapons do 1d6)
The emphasis on player description/action over die rolls.
The concise nature of the rules.
The flexibility, which really encourages making the game your own.
The emphasis on rulings over rules.
The way it plays (fast, fun, furious? -- <grin>)

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Mainly I played AD&D and later D&D, also there were some sessions using The Black Eye (das Schwarze Auge, a german RPG system). But there was never a 'permanent' change.

Speaking of changing systems, we currently use a modified version of 3.5 (using spell points instead of slots, modified spells and classes and such, the system is refined now and then).

Thomas Percy

First Post
AD&D was my first game, 3,5 is my present game, and I assume 4e will be my game.
I tried other games (Ars Magica, Warhammer, World of Darkness) but nothing compares to D&D for me.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
drscott46 said:
Diaglo, I'm certain you've been asked this question a zillion times, but I must know: why?

And please don't give some sort of reflexive reason like, "It's the one true game." or whatever. I am sincerely curious as to why you prefer the very first edition of the game to other versions.

Just to piggyback on that, Diaglo, I'm curious to know why hang out on enworld so much if "all other versions of the game are pale imitations of the one true game" or whatever. I don't mean anything negative by that, but like drscott, I'm curious about why an OD&D diehard would be interested in a d20/3.5 site.

S'mon

Legend
Chainsaw Mage said:
Just to piggyback on that, Diaglo, I'm curious to know why hang out on enworld so much if "all other versions of the game are pale imitations of the one true game" or whatever. I don't mean anything negative by that, but like drscott, I'm curious about why an OD&D diehard would be interested in a d20/3.5 site.

Indeed, I've never seen a poster called Diaglo on the Dragonsfoot Classic forum, which is for OD&D (as well as for later iterations up to Rules Cyclopedia).

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
S'mon said:
They'd drop your campaigns? If they enjoy your GMing and they're not already playing other 3.5e GM's games, that seems unlikely, surely?

FWIW, I've certainly dropped campaigns because of a system switch. For example, I'm not a fan of C&C (or any version of pre-3e D&D other than Basic) and don't have any interest in playing it. Even if I'd enjoyed the GM's previous campaign, I'd politely excuse myself from a C&C campaign. I've also stepped out of 3.5 campaigns at times because I didn't want to play by that rulesset.

Is it really that unusual in your experience?

S'mon

Legend
MoogleEmpMog said:
FWIW, I've certainly dropped campaigns because of a system switch. For example, I'm not a fan of C&C (or any version of pre-3e D&D other than Basic) and don't have any interest in playing it. Even if I'd enjoyed the GM's previous campaign, I'd politely excuse myself from a C&C campaign. I've also stepped out of 3.5 campaigns at times because I didn't want to play by that rulesset.

Is it really that unusual in your experience?

Well, none of my players bailed on me when I switched. It helped that I had let them know well in advance. Perhaps it also helped that I offered them a choice - either C&C or the Rules Cyclopedia! And that some of them already felt my GMing style better suited to a more rule-light system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads