Have you ever gotten choked up during the game?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I once made an entire table cry while playing a Call of Cthulhu one-shot game. The party realized that someone would have to be sacrificed to maintain safety of an entire town. I was playing a UU priest who made a compelling argument that she should be the one to go. My goodbyes to my wife brought tears to everyone. And then they buried me under a tree...

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I got a little choked up reading your description of the scene....

At the very least, you have an excellent sense of what strings to pull and how to deliver an evocative description.

I am sure your players could not help but be affected.

Riley37

First Post
Yes, I have. One of the PCs had a long-lost older brother. In his background story, they were soldiers together, then his brother took a leg wound, their army lost the battle, and the PC deserted; he could either die with his brother, or flee (leaving his brother behind) and become an adventurer. The DM made the brother into vengeful undead, which attacked the party as an ally of an assassin from the BBEG.

Meanwhile, in real life: my older brother died last year. So the storyline with the PC's brother was emotionally intense for me.

During that night, in game time, my paladin PC prepared Ceremony, and the next morning, the PCs held a proper burial, and laid the undead to rest. I spoke, in character, with feelings from my own brother's funeral, and some of the same words. Rest in peace.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was drinking a beer while playing, then it went down the wrong hole. I got a bit choked up. Then the bottle was empty and I got sad.

Does that count?

Remove ads