• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you ever had a PC die of natural old age?

Have you ever had a PC die of natural old age?

• Yes.

Votes: 31 14.6%
  • No.

Votes: 181 85.4%

Wombat

First Post
GrumpyOldMan said:
You just need to play a Pendragon Campaign long enough and it can be done.

Though what happens is that your knight gets old and his stats start to drop, so you start playing the eldest son, then one year over winter you make that fateful roll: Father dies!

Yep, Pendragon was the first place I had a character die of old age.

I have subsequently had at least a dozen more die this way, a couple in Pendragon, but mostly in Ars Magica.

In D20? Nah. There's isn't even a real sense of time passing in most campaigns, only of events happening.

kenobi65

First Post
Boy, you guys must have had some serious leaps forward in game time.

We're still playing the first D&D campaign I ever played in, 23 years later. My first PC in that campaign was 16 when we started, and she's now in her early 40s. (Then again, we've had a fair amount of time in the past 10 years where little time passed in the game world, but still...)

Kwitchit

First Post
I heard of someone who played his Paladin up to Level 32. The character was then retired as he grew old and went back to his village to live there and protect. However, the player still used him occasionally. One of these occasions was a kobold attack on the village when the paladin was 82 years old. This mighty epic paladin, decked out in millions of gold pieces' worth of magic items, went out to fight them. The first few he met were obliterated. Then, a puny Kobold Warrior level 1 poked him with a pointy stick. The DM made a secret roll and...

the paladin collapsed and died from a heart attack brought on by old age. The history books state that Sir Hubert the Brave, after becoming the greatest hero of the known world, was killed by a kobold!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
As DM I have seen it happen:

Birthright for 2nd ed. - the main plotline lsted long enough for characters to age and die, two did.

Ars Magica - PCs can start out as grumpy old wizards... and companions and grogs do not have longevity potions. During a fifty year chronicle several grogs and companions died, as did two wizards.

The above mentioned Pendragon. Then again players tended to have a whole family to choose from in regards to PCs.

The Auld Grump

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Never in D&D.

Haven't gotten to play Pendragon (although I would love to).

But I have played heaps of Ars Magica (where a season passes pretty much every game session), and have had plenty of grogs and companions die of old age. You seriously come to dread those winter aging roles! Most of my Magi have specialized in making longevity potions, so I have yet to have a magus die of old age before a campaign has ended. :D

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
No, but we're getting there. Our current campaign features characters from a campaign 20 years ago that are now great kings, legendary warriors, etc. Kind of a 'tip of the hat' to past campaigns.

Katcracker

First Post
lukelightning said:
Have you ever had a PC of any standard race die from old age naturally? As in: has enough campaign-time passed that the character got really old and died? I don't mean aging effects from previous editions' ghosts or wishes that drain 5 years or any other magical effect or curse, or alternate-time planes of existance. I'm also excluding "retired" characters or characters who were effectively out-of-play until they died (e.g. imprisoned so you rolled up a new character, etc.)
Nope they had to go the hard way or stupid way (depending on the player :p ). Only ones that dies of old age were retired ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads