• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you ever made a DM cry?

Have you ever brought a DM to tears?

Ottergame

First Post
This isn't weither or not you've frustrated or bored a DM to tears, it's wether or not your characters in game actions made the DM cry, such as by dying a really heroic death or role playing out a really emotional scene?

Tonight my DM sent me a message saying the way I handeled my characters leaving 2 life long friends nearly brought him to tears, and that surprised me, he didn't strike me as the emtional type.

Ottergame

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
Otter, your DM scares me, and I kill kittens for fun!

It really surprised me, because the game up to that point was pretty much silly, like solving problems through sex and such. Then a few events turned the entire game mroe dramatic, and a lot more fun to be a part of. :)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I collapsed in tears of laughter in one game I was running, when the dwarf fighter was hiding from the frenzied berserker under their former foe's body - that was bad enough, but then he started talking about "shaking the body menacingly" to get the berserker to attack it instead of him, and "I flail his leg like he's kicking [cheesy squeeky voice] 'HA! I strike at thee!'" I just lost it, then after the berserker finaly made his save and came out of it, he says to the fighter "Are there any enemies left?" and the fighter goes "I don't know, are you counting ME?" and I lost it again...

Kahuna Burger

Allanon

Explorer
As Kahuna stated as a player and a DM the only time a DM ever cried was because of laughter. Darn just thinking of some of those moments get's the ROFL-factor going again :D

EDIT: I voted no, because the question was more angled towards emotional moment crying than the tears of laughter version.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've made a player cry, once.

We were playing Ars Magica and I brought in an NPC who sought out their group of mages. She had heard of them and braved the journey there, thinking that they could bring her dead husband back to life. (One of the few things impossible in Ar Magica).

They explained to her that there was no way, and she refused to beleive them: they could heal the sick and walk on water and all the other things mentioned by the priests, then why could they not bring back the dead?

The wife of our normal DM apprached her to see what it was she most loved about her husband, that would drive her to undergo the journey and be so persistant. Having never known love herself, the character was fascinated by such devotion in another.

The woman could name no one characteristic above any other, but the player was persistant. Finally, the widow say "How can I tell thee what I cannot divine myself? Does a miser love one coin above another?"

The player had to go into the bathroom to compose herself. I was quite proud :)

Tears of laughter, sure, but I've never moved any DM to tears on any other basis :(

Liolel

First Post
Our games are free of tears on either side of the screen. Its just that the games aren't very gloomy games. The lack of seriousness among the characters also contributes to this.

True story: Our party's monk paid to have his warhorse magically died purple and orange. And he magically died his hair the same color. And he wares purple and orange robes. He's a little, no make that a lot crazy.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
The player didn't move me to tears, but he left me speechless.

The party is camped in the wilderness. They have two kids they rescued from evil cultists. The kids are in the wagon with the monk nearby. A creature working with the cultists tracks down the party and lobs a fireball into the wagon. The player of the monk turns to me and asks, "If I forgo my save, can my character protect the kids by diving on them?". I allowed it (and should have given the character a hero point, but was so surprised, I forgot).

You should understand that this player almost always plays his characters as strongly chaotic-neutral. He loves being disruptive. Last person I ever expected to do something like that...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
As a DM, I'd kill puppies, but I kinda like kittens.

I'm a fairly nice player, too, so I doubt I'll ever be a cry-er or a cry-ee.

-- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads