• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you ever ripped off an idea & passed it off as your own?

Oryan77

Adventurer
As a DM, have you ever completely stolen a scenario and used it in your game as if it was your own idea? Or have you had a DM do that in a campaign you played in? If so, what was the scenario?

As a player, do you mind when a DM does this?

I'm talking about intentionally using a scenario that you saw in a movie, book, etc etc and ran it in the game. And I mean, completely imitating the scenario rather than using it as inspiration for your own ideas.

In one campaign I joined, my PC was presented with a playful wyrmling with a sense of humor. My PC was a wicked looking Tiefling Rogue (the much better original Planescape version that can have any physical characteristic you can think of). He was kind of a prick with a chip on his shoulder, so it was odd that out of the group, he was the one that the wyrmling became attached to.

But I rolled with it and still thought it was an interesting scenario. I even changed the way I was roleplaying my PC so the relationship with the wyrmling made more sense. The game only lasted about a month and I never heard from the DM again.

Then about a year later, my wife (gf at that time) popped in a VHS of the movie Mulan. I had never seen it before, and when this comedy relief wyrmling named Mushu appeared in the movie, I thought to myself, "Mushu? That was the same name as the wyrmling in the D&D game I played." And as I watched the movie, I even saw the character do/say similar things that the NPC did in the game. I realized the DM used this character in his game as if it was his own creation. The memory of that campaign became amazingly lame to me after that revelation. I lost a lot of respect for that DM.

I never considered doing this before because I would have felt a little ashamed of myself. I know it is extremely difficult to be original with anything, but to totally rip off an idea is just very lame to me. I don't want to play in a recreation of some TV show or movie. Especially when I'm approaching the game from a more serious attitude and the DM is using some goofy scenario he stole from a source because he thought it would be funny to recreate it in game. I don't mind playing a goofy game, but I prefer to know beforehand that this campaign isn't to be taken seriously. If I go into it knowing that the DM was recreating a scenario, I could probably let it slide. But I would still feel cheated if the DM tried to pass this stuff off as his own creation. That seems like something a child would do.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
As a DM, have you ever completely stolen a scenario and used it in your game as if it was your own idea? Or have you had a DM do that in a campaign you played in?
Um. Well. I steal as much as possible and use it as thoroughly as I can get away with, because theft is property and bad accents need to be repeated.

But I don't really get the "as if it was your own idea" angle. We don't do granular intellectual property accounting after a session -- e.g. we'd never say "did you like that dragon's name? it was something dumb in the module so I changed it." -- and we seamlessly blend prepared scenarios / campaigns / modules with blatant B-movie theft and even some totally original content.

We don't particularly care if a session was 75% original or 92% stolen. If it was well done, that's good enough.

Cheers, -- N

Troll Slayer

First Post
I've "stolen" all sorts of ideas but I've never explicitly passed them off as my own. Then again the way most games play out, I doubt any of those stolen ideas were ever executed very close to the original source material. It's rare that things play out at all as I've planned and I really like it that way.

Steal, steal, steal.

I stole a novel's plot for a multi-part adventure for two separate d20 Modern groups. I didn't even tell the first group about it.

There's been so many people for so long, there's hardly such a thing as an original idea anyway. As long as you're not making money stealing someone's ideas, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Haltherrion

First Post
Well, I modeled a scenario after the first Lethal Weapon (protagonist is asked by old friend to help is daughter, the friend stops helping the protag, finds out the friend is a bad guy and is being blackmailed over his family, etc.) Does that count?

It worked pretty well actually. It's hard to recognize a plot taken across different genre and media like that. It was also different enough that I don't feel too much like a plagarist ;)

Incendax

First Post
I rape, steal, and pillage ideas constantly. Sometimes I use them as mere inspiration, and sometimes I drop them in wholesale with only the names changed to protect the innocent. If an idea is great it should not be ignored just because someone else thought of it first, and if your brain is fried or you didn't have time to prepare enough material then it can ensure your players have a good time regardless.

While I would never lie and claim that someone else's idea was mine, I absolutely will not mention it unless directly asked.

Almacov

First Post
I once played through an episode of Dr. Who without fully realizing it. Well, not until coincidentally seeing a synopsis online shortly after. As I understand it we were guided in such a way that even the ending was the same. (Along with most of the place and character names.)

It was a fairly good game though, with a good DM, so not entirely frustrating.

I generally don't consciously "rip off" ideas for my games, though I do take some concepts and twist them to my own ends.

Remove ads