• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you ever ripped off an idea & passed it off as your own?

Oryan77

Adventurer
Unless you left something out, the other DM didn't recreate an entire scenario.

I never claimed the DM was copying the entire story of Mulan. How did you come to that conclusion?

I said he used a character from the story of Mulan. Which I find to be a bad thing. His character was not inspired from Mushu, it was Mushu. That's cheesy.

Heck, I was only in the game for a month. For all I know, maybe he was intending to DM us through the script of Mulan. Yet it was supposed to be a Planescape game.

Think about it, you were in the campaign for a month did you ever find out why Mushu picked you? Because if you didn't, who's to say that a satisfying reason wouldn't have become known to you? Maybe one that isn't lifted from the movie?

Honestly, once I found out that it was Mushu, it doesn't interest me in the slightest about why Mushu wanted to be my companion. Luckily I didn't find out it was Mushu as the game was going on.

If I did know, then my only options, really, would have been to either eat Mushu so I wouldn't have to play along with a character from a Disney cartoon, or, roleplay my Tiefling Rogue like The Fonz from Happy Days and demand that every character call me Fonzie. I would have had no other choice.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I never claimed the DM was copying the entire story of Mulan. How did you come to that conclusion?
Here's the deal. You are...

1. Expressing a preference for not playing in a game where you play out scenarios taken whole hog from other books, movies, tv shows, etc...

2. Telling us about a time when a DM you gamed with had Mushu show up. You said you didn't like it.

It is not unreasonable to think that these things are related. You have use the word scenario to clarify what you mean:

When I made the comment about being upfront about stealing content, I'm referring to when a DM wants to recreate an entire scenario.

You have also used examples like playing out an episode of Xena.

I was simply pointing out that number 2 isn't an example of number 1, which seemed to be what you were implying because you talk about them like it is.

Frankly, I've never seen an example of 1. Though I have heard of a GM trying to run LotR with disastrous results. I always assumed this was because the players would simply do things contrary to the plot of the movie, book, episode, whatever. Dork Tower comes to mind.

To my mind, NPCs from other sources are kind of fun. Grand Theft ______ is the way for me. I once gave PC Thor's hammer. No, I didn't rub off the serial numbers. One day, I'm going to giving out Excalibur. One time, in a non-FR game, I had the PCs meet Drizzit. (Turns out he sucks at hitting.)

Oryan77

Adventurer
1. Expressing a preference for not playing in a game where you play out scenarios taken whole hog from other books, movies, tv shows, etc...
Correct.

2. Telling us about a time when a DM you gamed with had Mushu show up. You said you didn't like it.
Correct.

I was simply pointing out that number 2 isn't an example of number 1, which seemed to be what you were implying because you talk about them like it is.
That's not what I was implying. Like you, I've also never played in a game where the DM was recreating an entire scenario that he stole from a movie, show, etc etc. But I've heard of it happening.

I was just bringing it up because I feel it is similar to what I did experience; which was using a character from one source that I didn't feel belonged in the game. Partly because I thought I was supposed to be playing an adult Planescape game, yet this NPC was from a childrens Disney cartoon. At least Thor's hammer, or Drizzt is actual content from D&D. And as I said, I don't have a problem with that (although I'd not care to see Drizzt pop up in a non FR game, but it wouldn't cheapen the memory of the campaign like Mushu did).

Really, it's a psychological thing. If you want to use content from a non D&D/RPG source, a simple name change & a slight tweak is all that is needed to give me the illusion that you are using your own unique content. That's all I ask. :D

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Frankly, I've never seen an example of 1.
I saw an example of it once. One of the guys wanted to run a Star Wars KotOR era game, so I bought KotOR to get a feel for the era, and it turns out he was ripping off the game's plot directly, even keeping the gang's names. That game didn't last very long.

Cheers, -- N

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I saw an example of it once. One of the guys wanted to run a Star Wars KotOR era game, so I bought KotOR to get a feel for the era, and it turns out he was ripping off the game's plot directly, even keeping the gang's names. That game didn't last very long.
You should have figured it out when he brought out the Playstation to show you the "cut scenes." ;)

fanboy2000

Adventurer
If you're going to yoink stories and plotlines, make sure you pick more obscure sources. :D
Yeah, he should have ripped-off Adventure.

"What do you mean a bat took my sword!? I only put it down because of your stupid rule that I couldn't hold both!"

Or maybe not.

I'm completely, utterly and ruthlessly ripping off Jaws in my superhero game at the moment. It's based on 'Friendship Beach'. There's NPCs called Brody and Schneider. The mayor wants to keep the beaches open and is leaning on the coroner to that end. I've even had an NPC say 'This was no boating accident!'

Somehow, the players still haven't twigged. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

Last edited:

Remove ads