• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have You Ever Used Monsters from Dragon Magazine?

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Quite often. If a Dragon comes with a creature that fits the current game's theme and CR, then I'll adjust that week's story just to throw it in. They have worked well for me in the past and ALWAYS surprise the players, who have no idea at it's capabilities.

-DM Jeff

sckeener

First Post
I think I am going to have to just answer, yes.

Many of the monsters from the MM II 1st edition came from Dragon Magazine.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I always thought that it was a given that using monsters from Dragon and Dungeon meant that they'd be on par, in terms of how well they're written, with anything from mainstream D&D. It was only recently that the magazines started to be published by another company, after all, and Paizo still checks everything with WotC before they see print.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I have used monsters from Dragon and Dungeon going back to 1st Edition D&D, around Issue #35 for Dragon and Issue #1 for Dungeon. I still use creatures from these magazines to this day.

RC

Wik

First Post
Absolutely. In fact, I love using Dragon monsters, because It's pretty much guaranteed none of the other players will have seen it. A few of my players collect wotc books; i'm the only one who has a collection of DRAGONS.

A while ago, I used one of those imps of ill humour (I can't remember which type) as the primary villain a sewer-based dungeon adventure for low-level PCs. while the encounter didn't go as well as I thought it would (it wound up being blasted by the war mage in a round or two), I did think it was an interesting enough monster to use. I'm also really hoping to get a chance to use those flying monkeys.

Voadam

Legend
No. But I currently run 3.5 and only have two issues from 3e times, and neither have monsters in them. I would have no problem using a monster from Dragon though.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Absolutely. They're great. Some major NPCs have been Dragon monsters, including an avolakian lawyer (before avolakians made it to MMII... or whichever MM they're in).

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Yep. A Brainstealer Dragon was the final boss of my Ivalice campaign (sort of), and I've used other Dragon monsters here and there.

Between Dragon, custom monsters and monsters from 3rd party books, I don't think I've used an actual WotC-published creature without class levels since the first session of said Ivalice game, which featured a wyvern. :confused:

Remove ads