• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you given your kids fantasy names?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I wouldn't dream of setting my progeny up for a hundred beatings at school and weird faces afterwards.

Our neighbour named her child Fee (German for fairy - and to make it perfectly clear: This is in Germany, so no sneaky foreign naming stuff here.).

I know of other cases of cruel namegiving and always wondered why they hate their children so much.

Zander

Explorer
I don't have any kids but if I did, they'd have my surname which is Simkin. Simkin is also the name of a character in Weis & Hickman's Darksword novels (see my sig). So in terms of fantasy names, they'd be set. :)

Firebeetle

Explorer
My children's names are Owen and Phoebe. While these could be fantasy names, we chose them because they are old-fashioned but still recognizable. I pushed really hard for Haven for Owen, Haven being an old Scottish family name for me.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I named my son Dante after the Italian poet and my daughter Nemi after the Norwegian cartoon. Both are middle names. My rationale was that I thought it important to have super-hero names from birth.

Stockdale

First Post
We got all crazy and named our boys --- Sam and Pete. Uriah was a name in the mix, but that was biblical.

I wouldn't strap a kid with a name that would subject them to the brutality of the school yard or that may impact a later professional career. (Hi, this is my banker, Bilbo Smith).

Stockdale

brehobit

Explorer
Humm...

My daughter is named "Kira Nerys". Deep Space 9 is _nearly_ fantasy :)

My son is named "Henry", in part (meaning _this_ part of the married couple's reason) named after my longest-running D&D character's henchman.

Mark

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
In Germany this can be difficult - you can only give your children names if you can prove that they are "real names" from the real world. This is done to protect the children from mockery later in life.

Probably a good thing in some cases...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads