D&D 5E Have you played 5E yet?

(Not the playtest)

Agamon

Adventurer
Started a playtest campaign 3 months ago and we've moved to using Basic but still using the PT rules for stuff not included in Basic. Looking forward to getting my paws on the PH in a couple weeks!

jgsugden

Legend
Did some playtest, and then have done two very quick basic set runs. I'll be doing a few more quick one shots between now and the release of the PHB, then running something intended to go til the end of the year or so, at which time we'll either reboot with all of the core books available (and access to the alt rules), or we'll switch to a different system.

Joe Liker

First Post
We did our first Basic session last weekend, and I have to say, it really does feel a lot like old-school D&D, only without all the arbitrary restrictions and oddly granular tables and rules to bog things down.

We had SO MUCH fun, you guys.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
No, neither played nor ran it - and it may turn out that I'll never do, but rather kit bash some version of my own using stuff from different editions including 5e. We'll see...

Tormyr

Hero
We started a 5e Age of Worms campaign back in April. We converted our characters as much as we could when the Basic rules came out. Anything that was not in the Basic rules, they could keep from the playtest, and we made some changes to the playtest stuff (non-human races got +2/+1 ability bonuses half-orc got +2/+2, backgrounds were limited to 4 proficiencies/languages plus the special feature, spell progressi). When the PHB comes out, we will dump most of the playtest except for the monk who I think might only be in the DMG. This has worked out very well for us, and aside from the little surprises ("charge is gone", "no more sound burst", "fireball does how much damage") there has been no negative impact from the change.

I will say that I am greatly looking forward to monsters being added to Basic on August 8 and the monster manual in September. Converting all of these 3/3.5 monsters or reskinning playtest (and now starter set) monsters has been a lot of work. I am looking forward to being able to look up the monster and just drop it in the campaign.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I ran 3 seasons of Encounters (Cult of Chaos, Crystal Staff, & MiBG) using the playtest that's more than 6 months of running every week. I also played in as many playtest sessions as I could talk others into running. Which was exactly 2.

I'm signed up to run the next season of Encounters under 5e, and to run intro games of 5e at a local convention come Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:

Blackbrrd

First Post
I am waiting for the Starter Set (And the PHB/DMG/MM), because I like to run a premade module to see how the game designers feel the game should be run. I find it easier to learn by using an example than to just read the rules.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Ran one session of the starter adventure (and had a great time) then decided that 14 years of being the DM was enough so I passed the screen to another and am now playing through it.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Played some "test" encounters with one other, just to get a feel. Playing the Starter Set with the regular gaming group this weekend. So far, so good.

Remove ads