• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you seen an Aboleth in game?

Have you seen an Aboleth in game?

• Yes

Votes: 111 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 38.7%

That's quite a commitment! After a year, our effort stalled out soon after encountering the insane Kuo Toa.
Book two does start to drag. It's a lot of hack 'n slash for no particular reason. But we have a good group and a committed DM, so we made it through and it's nice and interesting again now, in book three.

subrosas

First Post
Ran Night Below start to end

Converted it to 3.0 (and half way through to 3.5). And the party slaughtered more than a few Aboleth. Getting creative, I rolled up Aboleth mages, Aboleth rogues, and even the dreaded Aboleth monk. Because Aboleth monks are just plain sick. Trust me on that.

My wife, who played through the campaign just commented that the Aboleth monks were "horrible." And she was right :devil:

subrosas

First Post
Aboleth

Since the original question was split off a discussion re: Aboleth minis, here's a photo of the home-made minis I cooked up (literally) for our group while running Night Below:

AlitheiaVsAboleths.jpg

I made 18 of them, though I only have two remaining now...

Vaslov

Explorer
Yup. As a player in the RttToEE (I forget which part) and earlier this year as a DM in a homebrew. Well the players never saw the aboleth. It sat under their boat as Skum ravaged them. I had the boat take a lot from the Firefly show and Skum were described as revers. Having Zoe scream "Reavers!" as they climbed over the side of the boat was a great moment. So many terrified player faces.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Wow. The numbers really surprise me! People have nearly 2 to 1 - I would have predicted the opposite.

For my part, never as a DM or a player - though I have ideas for using one or more someday.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
An Aboleth vs Kraken war took place in my last game(my SH one). Was especially fun when they went to kill one to get the artifact it had and found the other one instead.

PC 1: "That's not an aboleth."
PC 2: "Eh, trade one fish for another."

A couple of weeks ago the party fought an aboleth in War of the Burning Sky.

It wasn't a standard one; I have never encountered one straight out of the Monster Manual.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I had my 2nd Level PCs go up against one in my current 4E game. Having learned from the local lizard folk the means of showing appropriate respect (it was worshipped by them as a god), they got passed it without any major issues

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads