• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you seen this monster?

Drkfathr1

First Post
Good thing my group is waiting to switch to 4E until we finish our current 3E campaign. Hopefully by the time we switch we'll have a more complete set of monsters.

StarFyre

Explorer
hmm

after reading what they have done to the beholder, and my group gonna house rule it if i ever use it, will just do the same for the rust monster.

Monsters I don't think are a problem, as once a DM gets more experience, monsters are the easiest thing to change/modify/create.

Sanjay

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Korgoth said:
No Rust Monster? That's too bad... maybe MMIII will be "goofy monsters" with Rusty, a playable Flumph, etc.

Well since Metallic Dragons will be in MMII, that means MMIII will probably get Gem Dragons, which definitely fits the goofy monsters theme.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Frost Giants are simply Fire Giants with a different coat of paint. I'm guessing the situation is similar for Cloud giants, though I'd have to take a look in new MM to find an equivalent.

Metallics are chromatics with a shiny sheen. They had similar abilities in 3e, so just the alignment and the color, bam you're done.

The other monsters... I'd really have to take an in-depth look at the MM to see if there are any equivalents.

Re: Missing some basic animals.

None of the PHB1 classes have animal companions, so your biggest reason for needing a wide selection of basic animals is gone right there. Then you might fight a handful of animals at level 1, but after that you're on to bigger and more killtastic monsters, so I don't think that's a big loss.

Re: No centaurs.
I also am a bit sad that there are no centaurs. Mostly, though, it's just because I'm itching to do some Planescape in the new system and wish I had some inspiration for bariaur PC traits.

Remove ads