Starfinder Have you used Starfinder for a different setting?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
While I like the Pact Worlds setting, I could see possibly using the Starfinder rules for one's own homebrew setting or for some sci-fi property.

Just curious if anyone has used Starfinder in this way, and what that looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I grabbed Starfinder during the recent Humble Bundle and... it just didn't hit with me.

I love the Golarian setting, but couldn't find anything in the Starfinder setting that caught my interest.

That's fine for this question - I should be answering yes. But the game engine also failed to catch me as it's halfway in between 3.x and PF2E. To me it feels like "I'm still dating my ex, but only in the moments where we don't get along, and I'm also seeing someone new, but nothing's going anywhere emotionally or even physically because I'm still anchored to my ex."

BUT that's not this question.

So... If I had an updated Starfinder based on the coming PF2E remaster... I'd buy it. And if the setting got more interesting I'd use it. Otherwise I'd use the rules for some other setting.

To me the 'magic' of "fantasy in space" was the core rulebook ancestries as a pack of sci fi options. The very thing that makes Shadowrun appealing. Starfinder instead has all new less interesting aliens, and then a side note for bringing in some of the Golarian ancestries as rare options. But the way this is done, I don't even have the full rules to make 'Starfinder in my own setting where it's all space Halflings and Asteroid mining Dwarves.'

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Considering I'm a small 3PP for Starfinder, I only use my 'other' setting, and have never used, nor would use the Pact Worlds - this is not a criticism for the Pact Worlds, rather setting design has always been a major driver of the games I run, so I never use the default setting. I didn't use Golarian in my Pathfinder Games, nor Forgotten Realms (or Greyhawk) in my D&D games - I always homebrew. Plus unless I'm publishing community content (for no profit) I cannot use the Pact Worlds as third party.

I've been working on a setting of many colonies in deeper space, away from the Core worlds the humans originated (Earth) and surrounding worlds. There's an animosity between the colonies and the old Core worlds. I call it the Confederation of Independent Colonies of Colonial Space. (The Core worlds are in Corporate Space, the next beyond reaches are Colonial Space).

I got sidetracked creating a ship supplement for Spelljammer, but releases are coming out, and I'm ready to go back to my Starfinder development. I had plans to create a general guide to Colonial Space, then a series of mini-guides one star system/colony at a time with local ships, equipment, factions, map locations, events within each. Below is the draft series of cover designs I have plans for books in this series.

Last year I published The Planet Builder a set of tables and rules for generating scientifically viable entire star systems (co-written by an astrophysicist), a star system stat block, and a Planet Point system allowing you to adjust your system to better meet your liking (you can move planets to different orbits by spending points), and you can add technology and resource stations to process the resources in your system so it can grow over time. The stat blocks for all the Colony mini guides are generated from the Planet Builder.

2022-gamer-printshop-lineup.jpg

Remove ads