• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have You Used These Conversion Tools for RotRL?

pontinyc

Explorer
I appreciate it, jayounger. That's actually the same conversion, the link just sends you to the Google doc. Unfortunately, however, the OP has decided not to continue with the conversion as he's moved on to Skulls and Shackles. So we only have the first two chapters of his RotRL conversion. Not sure if I should go for it and assume that someone will have come up with a conversion by the time I get to chapter 3 or not. I'm new to the game, so I think that any attempts I made at a conversion would be off the mark.

Thanks again for your reply!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Oops, sorry about that. I see now that you were the one asking about converting RotRL in another thread. :)

You could always run the first few chapters as converted and maybe work ahead on the later ones with the help of the Homebrew forum? Or maybe just reskin some Monster Manual monsters?

Just saying...I'm also interested in this, I've always been fascinated by RotRL but I can't see my group playing it except on 5E rules.

Also: anybody tried to run it on the fly in 5E with little or no upfront conversion? I did this with Carrion Crown and it ran fine, but we did not go to the higher level parts, it was more of a steal here and there...and there were some issues in combat difficulties, nothing dramatic but still...

Last edited:

Kryx

Explorer
I did the conversion. Sorry for stopping. We found RotRL kinda boring.

I can explain how I converted if you have any questions.

Thanks Kryx for your efforts. I keep hearing good things about RotRL so can I ask how your group found it boring? Was it due to too many combats or boring storyline or something else? Just asking because it may be a taste thing. For instance, while I enjoed much of Carrion Crawl I found ti overabundant in tiresome fights, still I enjoyed a lot of the tone of the AP.

You obviously put some thoughts and time to the AP so your opinion matters. To me at least :)

Kryx

Explorer
My group did not find the story very compelling. Some did, others didn't. But those others weren't huge fans of APs in general - they prefer more open ended games.
[sblock=AP Spoilers]To be fair to the AP they had just arrived at Thistletop so they didn't make it to some of the reveals.[/sblock]

There were some issues with difficulty.
[sblock=AP Spoilers]They fought too many goblins at once at the glassworks. Some ran down to Tsuto and the numbers were too much. I since nerfed Tsuto to be less powerful. They also pulled the whole top level of goblins at thistletop after fighting the goblins on the land mass which resulted in a near TPK with 3/5 falling.[/sblock]

RotRL is a very typical D&D story/setup. It's great for 5e conversion because the monsters are so typical, but it's also a bit boring for the same reasons.
I found the plot ahead a bit lacking
[sblock=AP Spoilers]Haunted House, a cult, Ogres, etc just weren't super compelling to me. I only looked up through book 3 though.[/sblock]

We found the idea of something entirely different from "normal D&D" very compelling - that being on a pirate ship and raiding.

Last edited:

Remove ads