• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Haven't DM'ed in a while, some questions for yeh

Richards

Legend
I don't play 4E, so I'll be of absolutely no help here, but I just want to make one demand recommendation: when the time comes, write up a Story Hour about this mini-campaign! I don't care if it's "doomed" or not, I need my Doc Midnight Story Hour fix!

Johnathan
*still twitching with withdrawal*

pallen

First Post
1. From Jonathan Tweet: House rule: need two milestones for long rest - Wizards Community

2. From Stalker0: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...ill-challenge-system-final-version-1-8-a.html

3. I think it's mainly the stuff that's always been free.

4. I think it's worth 1 monthly fee to try out. You can download the character builder (though it is PC only) and all of the Dungeon and Dragon PDF's. If you don't think it's worth the monthly fee, that's all probably worth your $10 (or whatever it is now).

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I don't play 4E, so I'll be of absolutely no help here, but I just want to make one demand recommendation: when the time comes, write up a Story Hour about this mini-campaign! I don't care if it's "doomed" or not, I need my Doc Midnight Story Hour fix!

Johnathan
*still twitching with withdrawal*
I'd say there's a very good likelihood of that my friend. Writing the story and game prep appeal to me more than the actual game ever does. I'm not sure if that's some sort of red flag that I should just stop.

Speaking of tentacle dagon monsters - there's a Tentacle of Dagon in the "last Breath of Ashenport" Dungeon adventure that does exactly that.
Crap, is there?? I haven't read that far. I might have to go that route.

Ok, first, for a 2-session game, I really wouldn't try to make any changes, but play it straight. I'm not familiar with that scenario, but if you're playing that short of a game, there's no reason to really burden yourself (and your players) with a lot of changes to what is a fundamental part of the game.
You're not wrong. I was getting ahead of myself. I'll proceed as normal.

Oh, Dr. Midnight. You're still on CM
I left CM a while back, good sir.

Yeah, it's just those issues. AFAIK, you can still subscribe for one month, slurp down all the Dragons and Dungeons to-date, update your Character Builder, and use them forever. I'd just spring for the $8 or $9; it's well worth it for a month. And if you love it, you can upgrade to a year.
That sounds like the plan to go with... I'll jack that up tomorrow or so. Thanks!

I'm a PC.
I knew there was something about you I wanted to cave in with a croquet mallet.

1. Just reduce how much you get back from an extended rest. Half hit points back (spend surges for more), and two-three healing surges (or half your maximum to punish defenders less). And as mentioned above, the disease mechanics can work to simulate long term injury.
Also not a bad way to go. Food for thought.

Thanks everyone, and Richards, keep your eye on the story hour forum.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Since Piratecat mentioned it, my Wounds rule goes like this:

If you fail a Death Save, you take a Wound. You might also take a Wound from a Critical hit inflicted on your character. This depends on the monster doing the Crit. Elites and Solos can inflict Crits. Minions never do. Regular monsters usually don't but might under certain circumstances.

While Wounded your Healing Surges only heal half their normal value and you do not regain your full Hit Points after an Extended Rest. Instead you only heal the (halved) value of your Healing Surge.

After an Extended Rest you may make an Endurance check to remove the Wounded condition. This roll is made easier with a successful Heal check.

Ok, first, for a 2-session game, I really wouldn't try to make any changes, but play it straight. I'm not familiar with that scenario, but if you're playing that short of a game, there's no reason to really burden yourself (and your players) with a lot of changes to what is a fundamental part of the game.

I would almost violently disagree with this statement.

In my opinion and experience, there is no better time to change the rules of the game than in a short game. That way if the proposed rules don't work, it's not going to impact a long campaign.

Short run games are the ultimate proving ground for house rules. In a campaign environment, a change in the rules that unbalances the game or makes it less fun will end up biting you in the butt for game session after game session.

Bumbles

First Post
In my opinion and experience, there is no better time to change the rules of the game than in a short game. That way if the proposed rules don't work, it's not going to impact a long campaign.

Short run games are the ultimate proving ground for house rules. In a campaign environment, a change in the rules that unbalances the game or makes it less fun will end up biting you in the butt for game session after game session.

It would be one thing if Dr. Midnight were more regularly running 4E or even anything at all. But somebody who just plays once in a while? Is it worth having an experiment in the session? No, I don't feel that to be the case.

Besides, in a longer campaign, you can always say "Ok, that rule doesn't work, let's not use it" while in a shorter game, people might feel a bit miffed if you change the rules in the middle of it. If I'm just having 2 games with somebody I really don't want to worry about them tinkering with the rules. I just don't have an incentive to invest the time for it. I'd rather play the game I already know.

Besides, in a longer campaign, you can always say "Ok, that rule doesn't work, let's not use it" while in a shorter game, people might feel a bit miffed if you change the rules in the middle of it.

Exactly, in a shorter game you wouldn't have to change the rule. Over 2 or 4 game sessions, you just live with it.

Changing a rule in the middle of a longer game causes more problems in my experience. "Ok, we're ditching optional rule 7 from now on... which means Phil, Mark and Jen you get to rebuild your characters since you were actively using that rule, and John gets his character back from the dead since he was killed by that rule" or "Ok, we're ditching optional rule 7 from now on, sorry that it already killed your character John, but at least you aren't screwed like Phil, Mark and Jen who's characters will be crippled by it's removal!".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads