• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Having an NPC roll persuasion on YOU?

wedgeski

Adventurer
As in, electively allowing the dice to decide your reaction? I think that's quite a neat idea, especially since you can set your own DC. :)

As in, electively allowing the dice to decide your reaction? I think that's quite a neat idea, especially since you can set your own DC. :)
My players do that all the time, sometimes to themselves. "My character knows he should probably stop drinking now... *Wisdom save* ...but so much of that last ale went down his shirt front, it's basically like he didn't drink it, right? Another!"

Azurewraith

Explorer
I wouldn't be keen on it if the DM told me how MY character felt. I think the only time i would do/accept it happening would maybe during haggling where in i do not know the price of an object and the peddler is trying to persuade me of its worth.

wedgeski

Adventurer
My players do that all the time, sometimes to themselves. "My character knows he should probably stop drinking now... *Wisdom save* ...but so much of that last ale went down his shirt front, it's basically like he didn't drink it, right? Another!"
Sure, but that's me rolling against me. For some reason I'd never thought about inviting an NPC to make a roll against me (and presumably, not knowing his bonus to the roll).

I wouldn't be keen on it if the DM told me how MY character felt.
I think it's important to keep a sharp eye on the distinction between what a player character feels and what a player character perceives. "The notorious Anders Stabb is by all appearances telling the truth" is the latter, but "You believe the notorious Anders Stabb" is the former.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I think it's important to keep a sharp eye on the distinction between what a player character feels and what a player character perceives. "The notorious Anders Stabb is by all appearances telling the truth" is the latter, but "You believe the notorious Anders Stabb" is the former.
This is very true.

ccs

41st lv DM
Whatever the edition, skills work exactly the same way in my games wether the source is a PC or an NPC/monster. Always have, always will.
So anything a PC could try on an NPC, NPCs can try on them as well.
(Skills even work PC to PC. Though it's pretty rare that this happens.)

ccs

41st lv DM
It could give the player an avenue to infer NPC statistics. Most likely wouldn't be game-breaking, but it could set a precedent that might be abused.

As the DM I tend to roll bright yellow dice with black #s in the open, so I'm not too concerned about this.

Elredion

Villager
I believe [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]'s point was that he prefers a game that promotes roleplay over "rollplay". Metagaming has nothing to do with it. Not having your character's decisions dictated to you does.
That's the joke though. A true neutral character wouldn't have a strong conviction towards one side or another, and would allow himself to be persuaded in the same manner that PCs persuade NPCs.

Azurewraith

Explorer
That's the joke though. A true neutral character wouldn't have a strong conviction towards one side or another, and would allow himself to be persuaded in the same manner that PCs persuade NPCs.
Well its still subjective though as I may be remembering another eds definition here but isn't true neutral still supposed to favour good and law over evil?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads